GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Punk vs. Metal"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 19/08/05 at 19:37
Regular
"I like beef"
Well?
Sat 20/08/05 at 10:10
Regular
"I like beef"
Asher wrote:
> Or do you need yet another thread to show off how much you know about
> metal? ;)
>
No, I just like punks and metalheads arguing.

I have a strange sense of humor.;)
Sat 20/08/05 at 10:53
Regular
"you've got a beard"
Chr1s wrote:
> Very_Metal wrote:
> i like both, but i prefer metal, i like the aggression you can
> convey
> when it's done properly. Also, i quite like it when metal bands have
> GOOD musicians in tehm and do weird n wonderful stuff.. like Sikth
> or
> Soilwork.
>
> That's one of the things that draws me to metal, it's not an easy
> style of music to play. Bands like Meshuggah, Mastodon, Lamb of God
> **** all over punk bands in terms of raw ability and talent (or at
> least the ability and talent they display).

indeed, but a lot of punk bands have good musicians in them, but their talent isn't as showcased in punk. Sum 41 are all very good players and whack random "look, we CAN play" parts in their songs to prove as much and to my mind, that makes them more interesting to listen to (and a LOT of fun live :D )

i caught the new lamb of god track the other day and was massively impressed, not really paid much attention to them before but i'll be seeking more of their stuff out soon.
Sat 20/08/05 at 11:05
Regular
"SOUP!"
Chr1s wrote:

> That's one of the things that draws me to metal, it's not an easy
> style of music to play. Bands like Meshuggah, Mastodon, Lamb of God

You seeing LOG in december?
Sat 20/08/05 at 11:08
Regular
"The definitive tag"
I'd sure as hell like to, but I'm having trouble even talking my friends into going to a Motorhead gig. I'd imagine Lamb of God would be out of the question.
Sat 20/08/05 at 11:19
Regular
"SOUP!"
I'll be going to see them in Manchester with a few friends, tag along if you like.
Sat 20/08/05 at 12:23
Regular
"The definitive tag"
Thanks for the offer mate, I'll give it some thought.
Sat 20/08/05 at 13:15
Regular
"Arf. Arf. Arf. Arf."
I like, well every type of music but used to be a metal eliteist, but between punk and metal I'd have to say metal.

Much more innovative stuff atm.
Sat 20/08/05 at 14:59
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Emo

\o/
Sat 20/08/05 at 17:54
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
You can't really compare two genres of music though can you? In every one there's the good, the bad and the laughable.

It also depends very much on how people percieve each genre. Many punk bands now incorporate some metallic influence into their sound, and a lot of modern metal has been heavily influenced by hardcore, itself an offshoot of punk...

If you listen to old 'hair' metal, then to some 80's hardcore, say The Exploited, Black Flag, Minor Threat, it's pretty clear that at that time hardcore was much more aggressive and 'angry' than a lot of metal...

The lines between metal and hardcore are being blurred more and more so meh...

I'm open to most music, but I've been getting punk CDs for years now, so my collection is predominantly punk and offshoots into hardcore, ska, indie, emo, etc.

Emo's another point too, a lot of the heavy emo/screamo (gah, stupid genre names...) has some hefty influence from metal... So yeah, genres aren't boxes that music stays in, they're things which are constantly interacting and exchanging ideas... One genre can't really exist without other genres to keep things fresh. And there's my thought for the day.
Sat 20/08/05 at 18:26
Regular
"\\"
Paradox: wrote:
> you bum RA until they bleed, dontcha?

At least twice daily.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.