GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Bored with PS2?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 16/10/04 at 01:07
Regular
"360: swfcman"
I have hardly bought any games for my PS2 all year, and didn’t buy many towards the back end of last year either. Don’t know what it is, but there just doesn’t seem to be any mass bulk of new games coming out that are grabbing my attention like they use to, and making me feel that ‘I just have to own that game’. It’s just not happening. And then the odd games I have actually made the effort to go and get, like Driver 3, have been a real let down.

Is anyone else feeling like this?

Perhaps it partly me too. I don’t play the PS2 half as much as I use to, and its lucky if its powered up more than 2 days a week, and then if it is, its just to have a go on PES3 or to watch a DVD. I just don’t feel like playing video games too much anymore. I’ll admit this is also due to doing Uni work, and not always having the time, but still when I do, I usually find something else to do.

There just doesn’t seem to be the games out there that I want to play anymore, and I currently only plan on getting 2 new ones, that being the new PES and the new GTA. Other than that…nothing.

I use to be getting new games on a regular basis, but not anymore.

I don’t know if im just bored of video games on the whole, or just bored of what the PS2 is offering. Either way, the next year is going to make a big difference over whether I bother with the PS3 or not.

How about you lot?

(On a side not, before any other console fan boys decide to take it upon themselves to hurl abuse at the PS2 and its owners, I must say I have previously enjoyed many hours playing games on it, and I am not saying its a bad console...just to make that clear.)
Sat 16/10/04 at 21:12
Regular
"Stridman in disguis"
Pro Evo? Your bored of the PS2 when PES4 has just come out? :D

Nah, I know how you feel, I think im starting to dislike games now, if I get bored of the next GTA then I know im starting to dislike games because i've enjoyed ALL gta games.
Sat 16/10/04 at 21:32
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
The only reason I still own a PS2 is the Pro Evolution series.

Bored with it? Yep. Very. GC all the way.
Sat 16/10/04 at 22:42
Regular
Having got an Xbox, PES isn't enough to keep be going with PS2.

Shame really.
Sun 17/10/04 at 00:13
Regular
"Just ram it in!"
I best check to see if my ps2 works, it aint been used for most of this year, I need a working ps2 for GTA:SA.
Sun 17/10/04 at 09:39
Regular
"Stridman in disguis"
PS2 normally has some decent games at Xmas...but they're always Multi Format games.

:(
Sun 17/10/04 at 10:24
Regular
Who cares? As long as they're good games, I don't.
Sun 17/10/04 at 10:30
Regular
Limmar wrote:

the graphics had hardley improved from that on the Play Station
> and Driver 2.

Nah, to be fair, although the game wasnt that good, the graphics were superb on it. To say they were hardly improved up on in Driver 3 is somewhat puzzleing. They were very very impressive i thought. Which goes to show what the production team were focusing when the gameplay was...crap.
Sun 17/10/04 at 10:35
Regular
"END OF AN ERA"
Pro Evo wrote:
> Limmar wrote:
>
> the graphics had hardley improved from that on the Play Station
> and Driver 2.
>
> Nah, to be fair, although the game wasnt that good, the graphics were
> superb on it. To say they were hardly improved up on in Driver 2 is
> somewhat puzzeling. They were very very impressive i thought. Which
> goes to show what the production team were focusing when the gameplay
> was...crap.

Just corrected you there.

PS2 has some fantastic exclusives. It's the only console for me as an RPG fan, but most of the line-up are actually superb games.

To name but a few (some may not be PS2 exclusive but have advanced release dates of other consoles):

GTA
GT
MGS
Final Fantasy
Pro Evo
Ratchet and Clank
Jak
Timesplitters
Killzone
Sun 17/10/04 at 10:55
Regular
Yes i agree, the games you have listed there are all very good, and i own the main bulk of them. But the thing is...they are old games now, with sequel after sequel coming out. Bar Pro Evo and FF, im tired of playing the same old games.

Im bored with whats coming out at the moment, i want new ideas, new games.

Probably a new console? Whether that be getting a GC, or a PS3.
Sun 17/10/04 at 11:04
Regular
"END OF AN ERA"
Yes, but you only see these orginal ideas on xbox because the console is only just becoming popular.

A large proportion of my gaming is online, which of course isn't for everybody.

The thought in the minds of developers is "why change a winning formula?" and they're right to a certain extent. They can't be bothered to work on an orginal template unless they absolutely have to. As a result, year after year, we get thesame gaming concepts thrown at us. A lot of the new games might as well just be new levels on a previous games, just games like Dynasty Warriors make it a bit more obvious than others.

I'll wait and see what the next generation consoles will be like. And who knows, maybe they'll blow us away!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.