GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Bored with PS2?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 16/10/04 at 01:07
Regular
"360: swfcman"
I have hardly bought any games for my PS2 all year, and didn’t buy many towards the back end of last year either. Don’t know what it is, but there just doesn’t seem to be any mass bulk of new games coming out that are grabbing my attention like they use to, and making me feel that ‘I just have to own that game’. It’s just not happening. And then the odd games I have actually made the effort to go and get, like Driver 3, have been a real let down.

Is anyone else feeling like this?

Perhaps it partly me too. I don’t play the PS2 half as much as I use to, and its lucky if its powered up more than 2 days a week, and then if it is, its just to have a go on PES3 or to watch a DVD. I just don’t feel like playing video games too much anymore. I’ll admit this is also due to doing Uni work, and not always having the time, but still when I do, I usually find something else to do.

There just doesn’t seem to be the games out there that I want to play anymore, and I currently only plan on getting 2 new ones, that being the new PES and the new GTA. Other than that…nothing.

I use to be getting new games on a regular basis, but not anymore.

I don’t know if im just bored of video games on the whole, or just bored of what the PS2 is offering. Either way, the next year is going to make a big difference over whether I bother with the PS3 or not.

How about you lot?

(On a side not, before any other console fan boys decide to take it upon themselves to hurl abuse at the PS2 and its owners, I must say I have previously enjoyed many hours playing games on it, and I am not saying its a bad console...just to make that clear.)
Tue 19/10/04 at 13:42
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
Pro Evo wrote:
> Pro Evo 4 arrived...

:|
Tue 19/10/04 at 10:55
Regular
"Bicycle"
To be fair though, not much has changed. Everyone goes through bored spells, me, right now, (probably just because I can't stop playing TimeSplitters 2 and can't afford Pro Evo 4), but it passes.

I'll be so happy when GTA:SA no matter how bad it is... Just something to pass away the time.

Secret I've found is... Platformers. Jak and Daxter, Ratchet and Clank, you know the type. Not great games, but good for making the day more exciting. To a point.

Meh, I'll live. And so will you. I predict.
Tue 19/10/04 at 08:05
Regular
"Going nowhere fast"
I never did buy a huge amount of games but I don't play on the consoles as much as I used to. This is down to a combination of uni work and a change of lifestyle.

Just about the only games I buy (personally) on release are the FF (PS2) ones so that's hardly broken the bank or ones for the gamecube (company pays). Usually I wait if I fancy a new game until they have dropped in price or I can pick up a used one.

I'd hardly say I was bored with the console though, I get withdrawal symptoms if I don't get on it for a week.

I'm not bothered about live gaming either but to hear some conversations on here sometimes make me wish I could join in occasionally.

As to buying a new console - I usually only buy one when there is a game out that I really want. Didn't buy a PS2 until FF came out and didn't buy a Gamecube until Zelda was released and that was only because I wanted the bonus disk.
Mon 18/10/04 at 23:33
Regular
"360: swfcman"
UPDATE:

Pro Evo 4 arrived...and i am currently not bored of my PS2 :D

Its had its longest spell of gaming today, longer than it has had for months.
Sun 17/10/04 at 23:24
Regular
As for the original post, I agree. 3 PAL PS2 consoles down and I have finally learnt my lesson.

Then I went RPG mania State side - the games are in a totally different league.
Sun 17/10/04 at 13:54
Regular
"no nonsense"
i felt exactly same as pro evo. Only game i played on was pro evo 3, so i decided to sell my ps2 on ebay and i bought a xbox, got live and never looked back. not saying the ps2 is crap coz sometimes i wish i still had it, just 4 gta, final fantasy, and pro evo (but tht is coming out for xbox anyways so...)

any1 with broadband i would advise to get internet play, whether its xbox live or through the ps2. pro evo online will be amazing too :P
Sun 17/10/04 at 11:26
Regular
And I'll eventually want Final Fantasy XII as well..
Sun 17/10/04 at 11:24
Regular
I'm not bored of PS2 at all, I'm more overwhelmed by all the games I really want to buy.
I want Pro Evo 4, THUG 2, Killzone, Metal Gear Solid 3, Midnight Club Dub, San Andreas, Dynasty Warriors 4 and that's just at the moment. San Andreas and Pro Evo 4 will keep me going about a year and a half between them, and the others will all add to that considerably.

I'm set :D
Sun 17/10/04 at 11:13
Regular
"END OF AN ERA"
Wow, a JAT that wasn't a spak...until that last line.

You just blew your image!
Sun 17/10/04 at 11:07
Regular
"Once isn't enough!"
Every console has got its fair share of exclusives that makes owning all three quite justifiable to those who can afford it! But, there are just far too many half-baked sequels coming out that just cloud the whole thing.

I don't think SONY's M$'s, or Nintendo's next-gen games machines are going to change things either. Sure, we'll get slicker graphics and the odd novel idea, but what can you guarantee that will hit the PS3?

- Ridge Racer
- Ace Combat
- Gran Turismo
- Grand Theft Auto
- Metal Gear Solid
- Tekken
- WRC
- etc.

Yes, those are good games, but constantly sprucing up the graphics isn't going to help.

I applaud Nintendo with their new DS, trying to encourage developers to comw up with novel game-styles to take advantage of the dual and touch screen. On the other hand, SONY might be aiming to impress with the PSP in terms of graphical punch, but all it means is more of the same, just on the move...not necessarily a bad thing, *IF* they build on titles rather than just port them.

Sorry, rant over!!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.