GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Half Life - Gone Gold"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Half Life'.
Sat 16/10/04 at 16:57
Regular
Credit - Gamespot.com:

"Ever since the release candidate for Half-Life 2 was submitted to VU Games in mid-September, a piñata has hung in the lobby of Valve's headquarters. The plan: to bust the sucker open when the game achieved gold status. Earlier today, GameSpot learned from an informed sourced that "the piñata has been broken" and the game has gone gold. Further evidence of the game's completion was a press release issued this afternoon touting the first review of "the entire game." Though nothing official has been announced yet, it appears the fat lady is at last clearing her throat."

Interesting.
Sat 30/10/04 at 17:42
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Garin wrote:
> Slight exaggeration I think. :P
> Steam is 10 meg uncompressed, and I think its a fair bet it'll come
> on the HL2 CDs too. The only way they could end up downloading a gig
> of stuff is if they download valve's back catalog too (hardly a
> requirement for playing HL2).

Indeed so it is, still, Valve have been know to download some of their back catalogue games without permission. Some people even had Condition Zero installed after they told Valve not to, only they didn't find out they had the game until they went looking.
Sat 30/10/04 at 16:32
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
cipro wrote:
> I'm thankful I'm connected and have Steam already downloaded, I'd be
> mighty pished off if I bought the game from the shops, brought it
> home then found I had to go through faffing about downloading a 1GB
> application just to play the thing.

Slight exaggeration I think. :P
Steam is 10 meg uncompressed, and I think its a fair bet it'll come on the HL2 CDs too. The only way they could end up downloading a gig of stuff is if they download valve's back catalog too (hardly a requirement for playing HL2).
Sat 30/10/04 at 14:40
Regular
"A man with a stick"
For those looking to back up their game files from steam, here's an extensive post on the Steam forums to tell you how: [URL]http://www.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?=&threadid=151953[/URL]

And if you still want a box, get a blank DVD case and print out this: [URL]http://www.earthconfederate.com/files/hl2case.jpg[/URL]

There are many other covers you can print off if you look (sorry I don't have time to post the links to all) if you don't like this one.
Wed 27/10/04 at 16:08
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
Damn I'm going to have to redownload steam.
Wed 27/10/04 at 16:03
Regular
"A man with a stick"
I wouldn't have been that bad had valve actually offered other means to authenticate the game, by phone or mail, but via the internet only!!!

I'm thankful I'm connected and have Steam already downloaded, I'd be mighty pished off if I bought the game from the shops, brought it home then found I had to go through faffing about downloading a 1GB application just to play the thing.
Wed 27/10/04 at 12:20
Regular
cipro wrote:
> Unfortuanatly yes. It’s some kind of anti-piracy protection thing,
> which granted, would go some way to cut down on seeing HL2 pirated,
> but Valve could have taken into consideration those who don’t want to
> install steam, and more importantly, those who don’t even have an
> internet connection.

Thats the most idiotic and stupidest thing I've heard in my life, Valve have really done a good job on this one

That's basically a form of discrimination, if people have no connection to the internet (like you stated) then they cannot play the game. Thus forcing people to fork out money for a connection as well as a game purchase, or miss out on playing it overall.

It's like asking a starved orphan to purchase a house before they can get their food rations.

Valve = Gay.

Nice move Valve, you might not get 'people stealing the source code!!!11' with this.

They'll probably delay the release of the game incase someone 'hacks in'.
Wed 27/10/04 at 12:11
Regular
"A man with a stick"
gamesfreak wrote:
> So say if the user was on dialup and they just wanted to play the
> game offline, would they have to go through the monotony and
> stupidity of this process?

Unfortuanatly yes. It’s some kind of anti-piracy protection thing, which granted, would go some way to cut down on seeing HL2 pirated, but Valve could have taken into consideration those who don’t want to install steam, and more importantly, those who don’t even have an internet connection.

You at least don’t need to keep Steam on your PC once you authenticated Half Life 2.

Reefer wrote:
> Is getting it off Steam cheaper? If not, that seems like a really
> cheap way to do things.

£38 for the Silver package, which isn’t that too bad a deal considering you get 4 games, 5 if you want to include Counter Strike: Condition Zero which cost around £15 in the shops.
Wed 27/10/04 at 10:57
Regular
Is getting it off Steam cheaper? If not, that seems like a really cheap way to do things.
Tue 26/10/04 at 23:56
Regular
cipro wrote:
> You'll also need and internet connection and have Steam
> downloaded in order to play Half Life 2, no matter which package you
> get be it online or in the shops.

So say if the user was on dialup and they just wanted to play the game offline, would they have to go through the monotony and stupidity of this process?
Tue 26/10/04 at 16:58
Regular
"A man with a stick"
You'll also need and internet connection and have Steam downloaded in order to play Half Life 2, no matter which package you get be it online or in the shops.

Valve had the brilliant idea to require you to authenticate the game via Steam, not much problem to those who already have it, but for those without it's almost like a kick in the groin.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.