GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What's the best possible computer I could get for £400?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 07/08/05 at 22:52
£400 to £450, anyway.

Ready built, separate components, whatever, with a 17inch LCD screen.

Thank ye
Wed 10/08/05 at 18:42
Regular
"Captain to you."
I used to hate Dell, i'm not sure why but then i had a butchers at their prices and specs and i'm getting my parents to get their next computer from there.

You get a no hassle PC for a bloody good price.
Wed 10/08/05 at 18:40
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Most "build your own computer!" people seem to ridicule people who buy Dells, but they're pretty decent machines, like you say, especially if you don't want to build it yourself. I also reccommend Evesham and Mesh.
Wed 10/08/05 at 18:38
Regular
gerrid wrote:
> down, I suggest you check out Dell (I know I know)

Nothing wrong with a Dell, they make pretty good machines and have good customer service. They're the first company I reccomend to anyone who is thinking of getting a pre-made machine.

That or a Mac. *runs*
Wed 10/08/05 at 18:35
Regular
"bit of a brain"
That doesn't even make sense.

MArzman, face it, your suggestion was poor. Buying cheap components at low spec is just a complete waste of money. You might as well just not buy a computer at all for all the good it will do you.

down, I suggest you check out Dell (I know I know), but they have some pretty decent deals at the moment (sub £500 PCs) with a decent spec, but a rubbish graphics card. you could always buy one and then stick in your own GFX and you'd have a pretty decent system. Although, obviously, it would be cheaper to build your own, as always.
Wed 10/08/05 at 14:14
"Was the man of marz"
Memorandum! wrote:
> Marzman wrote:
> My personal opinion to anyone buying a PC is to find a used base
> unit
> - o/b graphics, purely because it's low cost without a lot of the
> hassle
>
> But that's stupid for anyone who wants to do anything more than surf
> the internet/word process.

If you don't use the o/b graphics you can usually use graphic apps no probs
Wed 10/08/05 at 13:35
Regular
"Captain to you."
thats why i upgrade in stages, normally get a pretty good graphics card, then about 3-4 months down the line i upgrade my cpu, motherboard and RAM.

It's going to cost me around £500 in total but i'll have a system that will last for around another 2 years.
Wed 10/08/05 at 13:18
Regular
"bot"
Marzman wrote:
> My personal opinion to anyone buying a PC is to find a used base unit
> - o/b graphics, purely because it's low cost without a lot of the
> hassle

But that's stupid for anyone who wants to do anything more than surf the internet/word process. A £400 PC won't last you that long either. When my graphics card came out in 2002 it cost about £350 and it started showing its age when I played Doom 3/BF2 on it, so I can't see an entire PC for £400 lasting 'many years'.
Wed 10/08/05 at 13:16
Regular
"bot"
monkey_man wrote:
> I thought 939 was the future? That's for PCI-E, right?

You can get PCI-E on 754 as well, but yeah, stick with 939 for the higher end CPUs. He was suggesting SktA, which precedes both 754 and 939, so buying it is......stupid.
Wed 10/08/05 at 13:11
"Was the man of marz"
Damarus wrote:
> It wont be fine for long. Never get stuff because it's cheap. All it
> will lead to is an upgrade sooner therefore not saving any money.

I differ onthat. If you where to buy a good pc @ £400 it would serve you many years. Yet, if you buy a cheaper system for £200 then in a couple of years get another one for the same price your not really lousing anything.

Saying that the spec I do graphic design, playgames and video ed' would make you guys cry out laughing.

My personal opinion to anyone buying a PC is to find a used base unit - o/b graphics, purely because it's low cost without a lot of the hassle
Wed 10/08/05 at 12:54
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
I thought 939 was the future? That's for PCI-E, right?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.