GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What's the best possible computer I could get for £400?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 07/08/05 at 22:52
£400 to £450, anyway.

Ready built, separate components, whatever, with a 17inch LCD screen.

Thank ye
Fri 12/08/05 at 14:24
Regular
Marzman wrote:
> Don't really care what you think but he said 'play games'. Nothing
> about the latest and plus mine runs everything I throw at it

Try "throwing" something new at it.
Fri 12/08/05 at 14:19
Regular
"bot"
down plays BF2. I know he does because I've played with him several times. Therefore I tried to spec a computer for him that would run it (and similar games) fairly well without costing a bomb.
Fri 12/08/05 at 13:11
"Was the man of marz"
Damarus wrote:
> In conclusion I'd say that you have no idea what you're talking
> about.
Don't really care what you think but he said 'play games'. Nothing about the latest and plus mine runs everything I throw at it and when your racing the 2004 formula 1 season whilst sitting on the sofa in front of the TV you don't care weither your mobo is the latest.
Fri 12/08/05 at 13:00
Regular
Marzman wrote:
> down wrote:
> Yeah... there's a reason I said £400 to £450, and not
> £200.
>
> Ah-well, I was happy to spend less on a PC to get an xbox

I would have just spent the money on getting a much better PC than an Xbox.

He was also asking for a pc and not both, so why you specced the cheapest, most useless system you could possibly spec, I'll never know.

I have 4 PC's in my house, 2 of which are very similar.

Athlon 2400+, 1Gb Ram, (1 with 9800, the other with 9600) and they both only run the latest games at medium/sometimes high settings. Now, these are both much better than the system you specced (as they actually have graphics cards/ decent motherboards etc :P) so I hardly see how the system you specced could possibly play new games at anything other than low settings.

In conclusion I'd say that you have no idea what you're talking about.
Fri 12/08/05 at 10:28
"Was the man of marz"
down wrote:
> Yeah... there's a reason I said £400 to £450, and not
> £200.

Ah-well, I was happy to spend less on a PC to get an xbox
Thu 11/08/05 at 19:38
Yeah... there's a reason I said £400 to £450, and not £200.
Thu 11/08/05 at 13:22
Regular
"bot"
down wrote:
> See, I don't really want to play games with absolutely amazing
> graphics - I just want to be able to play them.
>
> Like I don't want something like m_m's, but something like chipp's is
> just pointless. So graphics card isn't that important.
>
> Does that change your suggestions at all?

Nope. That X800 isn't a great card. In terms of BF2 you'd probably be looking at medium settings with one or two things on high, and when you look at FEAR you can see how fast mid-range graphics cards go out of date. So it's basically what you're asking for - it'll play games but not at uber high settings with 4xAA.

And ignore Marzman, he's telling you to build a system on a platform that's been dead for (more than?) a year.
Thu 11/08/05 at 10:12
Regular
"where's my tag?"
Sorry I haven't had time to read the below posts. He's my suggestion:

* Mobo = A8N-SLI (Not Deluxe Version) £84.34
* Graphics = Gigabyte 6600GT 'GV-NX66T128VP' Turbo Force £117.48
* Cosair 'VS1GBKIT400' PC3200 2x512MB CAS2.5 £67.21
* Harddrive = Maxtor Diamondmax Plus9 SATA 80GB £39.10
* Keeping original case/keyboard/mouse/speakers/CD-Drive? £Unknown
* Sound Card = Built-in to the A8N-SLI £FREE
* Athlon 64 3500+ (£174.95)
* P&P = £6

Prices taken from ****

Total = 489.08

- That memory at that price is amazing in my opinion, so cutting down to save wont save you that much.
- You could go slightly lower with the PCIe graphics card I think, and chop off £10-15. Not sure what alternative.
- Stick with the 3500+ for a performance/budget PC.
- Harddrive has tons of performance, and at that price it's flawless (or keep your old one and save the £40?).
- A speedy motherboard that's cheaper than the Deluxe version. Its price is stuck between the performance end and slightly cheap end for a SLI board (but you can forget about SLI and just enjoy the PCIe).

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot about the monitor you wanted!!! Maybe get a cheaper mobo, keep with my ram suggestion and get cheaper Nvidia PCIe card (Aopen GF 6200 128mb PCI-E D/VO £58.53), and then maybe if you can afford it the monitor.
Thu 11/08/05 at 09:45
"Was the man of marz"
down wrote:
> See, I don't really want to play games with absolutely amazing
> graphics - I just want to be able to play them.
>
> Like I don't want something like m_m's, but something like chipp's is
> just pointless. So graphics card isn't that important.
>
> Does that change your suggestions at all?

No. I still reckon buying low-spec parts and building a machine is a good idea. Mines a Athlon 1.6ghz, 256mb ram, 128mb Nvida graphics, 40gig hard drive and it cost less than £200 to build last summer. I suppose when you come from lesser machines to newer comps you appreciate how they really work and realise a machine like mine can graphic edit, web design and play games as well as a 'better' high street machine. Honestly I'd use that £400 for a holiday [URL]http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=33731[/URL]
Thu 11/08/05 at 01:58
See, I don't really want to play games with absolutely amazing graphics - I just want to be able to play them.

Like I don't want something like m_m's, but something like chipp's is just pointless. So graphics card isn't that important.

Does that change your suggestions at all?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.