GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"If I had an idea for a sit-com..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 28/07/05 at 10:02
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
I mean a really good idea, not Friends, not X-man + Y-woman * Z-Kooky neighbour = laughtrack. Where would I go?
Thu 28/07/05 at 12:08
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Baby Cow is Steve Coogan and Henry Normal's production company, so you can guess how many fanboys send scripts in there.

Also that suggests they'd blatantly steal good ideas.
Thu 28/07/05 at 11:58
Regular
"not dead"
Once you've got it written, if you don't fancy waiting for months for a response from the BBC, you could try going to a production house direct. Find out who is making something with a similar target audience and type of humour, at the end of the show you'll be able to see who it's produced by, look them up, and they'll no doubt have details online regarding submission details.

This site's quite useful for looking up British stuff, finding who made what etc:

[URL]http://www.british-sitcom.co.uk/[/URL]

Just been having a punt around, looking for an example, and came across Baby Cow Productions, who are responsible for BBC3 shows such as Nighty Night, The Mighty Boosh and Ideal. They have this to say regarding submissions:

Submitting unsolicited scripts to Baby Cow Productions
Thank you for your enquiry. Due to the large quantity of scripts sent in to us at Baby Cow,
we now have a company policy of no longer inviting unsolicited scripts.

Should you wish to submit an idea to us we would like to request that first you send in a synopsis
or treatment outlining the basis of the script, plus a ten page extract from the script. Then, if we find this is of interest, we will endeavour to contact you for further details.

Please put your name, contact numbers, email and date on the front page of treatment (or script) and send it together with a covering letter. Securely bind your work.

Enclose a CV/show reel of previously broadcast/published work if applicable.

You should be aware that Baby Cow may be working on similar ideas proposals and projects independent of your submission and that Baby Cow Productions Ltd has no obligation to you in respect of its use of such similar ideas and/or projects. In consideration of us agreeing to review and perhaps discuss the submitted material, you agree that you shall not be entitled to instigate or attempt any claims against us with respect to the use by Baby Cow of such similar ideas and/or projects and you agree to hold Baby Cow Productions Ltd harmless from any such claims.

(We shall in return make reasonable endeavours to protect the confidentiality of the material submitted.)

Once again thank you for your interest in Baby Cow Productions Ltd.

If you have any further queries contact:
Ric Michael on 0161 244 3082 or email [email protected]

Interestingly, they're only asking for a ten minute extract rather than a whole pilot episode.
Thu 28/07/05 at 11:40
Regular
Is the sit-com set in a burning barn?
Thu 28/07/05 at 10:48
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
I have more than just the idea and I'm well aware of my current standing in the world of comedy television writing... I do have got a whole load of character/plot arcs and a solid basis for the whole thing, though. I might start writing something and seeing how it goes, take it slowly and all that. The worst thing about this is probably the "vision" I have being tampered with by someone else.
Thu 28/07/05 at 10:39
Regular
"not dead"
Nobody's interested in an idea alone, I'm afraid.

If you could write a pilot episode and a proposal document (detailing the rest of episodes in the series and beyond, the market you're aiming for, etc) then you could send it to the BBC writer's room, or any number of TV companies - I recently sent a sitcom to Celador, and they replied promptly, giving an encouraging response, even though ultimately it was a rejection.

To get anywhere with an idea alone, you really need to already be established in TV. Ricky Gervais can go up to the BBC execs and say "I've got an idea for a show. It's about extras." and they'll throw money at him to make it. A member of the public needs to send in the stuff as detailed above, and even after that, if they like it they'd probably ask to see another episode before they'd even think of going ahead and asking to see the whole series.

I knew a bloke who had a sitcom accepted by the BBC. It went into early development, and he was asked to write the whole series (and paid well for it too). Once this was done he was given a list of amendments to make to it - (ie we don't like a certain aspect of a particular character's character - change it). He did all of this, only to be told that they weren't going to go ahead with it as at the current time they didn't have a slot that needed filling at the hour this was targeted at.
Thu 28/07/05 at 10:02
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
I mean a really good idea, not Friends, not X-man + Y-woman * Z-Kooky neighbour = laughtrack. Where would I go?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.