GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"EA to publish Half Life 2"

The "PC Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 19/07/05 at 07:54
Regular
"Mozzy"
I should've posted this in one of the console forums, oh well...

Just over three months ago, one of the most contentious relationships in game history came to an end. On April 28, after months of overt legal disputes and covert bickering, VU Games and Valve Software announced they were ending a half-decade-long publishing deal. The arrangement saw the former publish the latter's groundbreaking PC first-person shooters Half-Life, Counter-Strike, and Half-Life 2.

However, Valve's next console game--after the PlayStation 2 Half-Life and the Xbox Counter-Strike--will be distributed by one of VU's main rivals. Today, Electronic Arts revealed that as of this fall, it will be the international publisher of the forthcoming Xbox version of Half-Life 2, which will now ship in October 2005. EA will also assume distribution duties on a new Game of the Year edition of Half-Life 2 for the PC, which will include Half-Life 2 and Counter-Strike: Source, as well as Half-Life 2: Deathmatch and Half-Life: Source, in a single box.

However, Valve will now officially self-publish all its PC products, although the newly announced--and carefully worded--agreement will let EA "deliver a collection of Valve games to players worldwide" in the future.

"We consider Half-Life and Counter-Strike to be two of the best game franchises of all time," said Tom Frisina, vice president and general manager of EA Partners, in a statement. "We could not be more excited to have the opportunity to help deliver these outstanding games to players around the globe."

Valve founder and president Gabe Newell had similarly kind words. "By combining EA's unparalleled operation structure and distribution channel with Valve's award-winning development teams and games community, we've established an awesome combination for delivering great products to console and PC gamers around the world," he said.

The EA-Valve arrangement covers the boxed, retail editions of Half-Life 2 and Counter-Strike: Source but does not affect digitally distributed versions of the game. As before, those games will be delivered and updated via Steam, Valve's online service.

This is great news. I cant wait for Half Life Underground 2006.
Wed 20/07/05 at 22:36
Regular
"8==="
Hedfix wrote:
> Er no.
>
> As you will see further down (around SMV's last post) I said it was
> all down to opinion and that I should have left it alone (oh yes I do
> know better).
>
> But hey this is fun, it's like the 'does god exist?' type topics in
> Life.. and so it continues.
>
> Now what is bizarre is the amount of replies despite it generally
> being agreed that it really just comes down to opinion. Clearly that
> people felt the need to reply AFTER this conclusion has been reached
> show that they do indeed have doubts over their PC-setup.
>
> If this were a console/handheld debate this would have gone to a
> debate about games. But what do you want to pointlessly squabble
> about? Control setups! Oh joy. THAT'S not down to opinion at all
> then!
>
> So, let's see we've managed to come to a stalemate on control issues
> so let's drag the debate somewhere even more pointless! PC online
> sterotypes vs Xbox live stereotypes... PC cheating...
>
> Why?
>
> Well for me it's because this has been quite amusing, for you? Well
> it seems some of you really feel the need to support your chosen
> platform (obvously at the back of your mind you cannot believe it is
> that good if you feel this need), personally if it was me I'd have
> shrugged it off: " I like this platform, it's fun and it suits
> me".
>
> Instead we have this long thread full of PC gamers replying to
> something that has obviously touched a nerve when really it shouldn't
> have.
>
> Bottomline: Beyond this being fun, I really don't care. :)
>
> *Shrugs*
Wed 20/07/05 at 22:36
Regular
"8==="
Hardly.

I kept it going for as long as I could be bothered.

It's wednesday, I'm bored of it and it's gone way of topic and into other areas I really can't be assed to discuss.
Wed 20/07/05 at 13:35
Regular
Hedfix wrote:
> Dullsville.

Sorry. I just find it funny that when you realise you're dug in a hole you declare the thread boring and end of.
Wed 20/07/05 at 13:33
Regular
"bot"
I can't stand voice chat. The first thing I do in any game that supports it is go into the options and turn it off.
Wed 20/07/05 at 13:30
Regular
"8==="
Dullsville.
Wed 20/07/05 at 13:28
Regular
Haha.
Wed 20/07/05 at 13:23
Regular
"8==="
Boring.

As I said anything after SMV's post is worth disregarding.

Go argue with yourself.
Wed 20/07/05 at 12:59
Regular
It is when you turn it off and just use teamspeak. =D
Wed 20/07/05 at 12:56
Regular
"The definitive tag"
Damarus wrote:
> Hedfix wrote:
> So's PC gaming.
>
> True. But it's free of retards shouting down their mics.

It bloody isn't you know...
Wed 20/07/05 at 12:25
Regular
Do you think we care any more than you do? At the end of the day debating/arguing is fun so I'll continue. =D

keyboard and Mouse - More accurate allowing for quicker reflexes. Allows the game to run at a much faster pace. That is a fact, not opinion.

Mods - No point even going there. I think you realise you were wrong and backed yourself into a corner which you can't possibly escape.

Cheating - As has been said, constantly updated anti-cheat devices stop cheaters. You do realise people have used trainers on Xbox Live as well don't you? Yes, it has probably been stopped now but at one point it did happen. Of course older games on PC aren't going to stop cheats but I think you're forgeting how much earlier PC games went online. The Xbox, therefore had an excellent start due to examining the best and worst of PC online gaming.

Hardware - You've still not justified at all what hardware has to do with things.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.