GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"EA to publish Half Life 2"

The "PC Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 19/07/05 at 07:54
Regular
"Mozzy"
I should've posted this in one of the console forums, oh well...

Just over three months ago, one of the most contentious relationships in game history came to an end. On April 28, after months of overt legal disputes and covert bickering, VU Games and Valve Software announced they were ending a half-decade-long publishing deal. The arrangement saw the former publish the latter's groundbreaking PC first-person shooters Half-Life, Counter-Strike, and Half-Life 2.

However, Valve's next console game--after the PlayStation 2 Half-Life and the Xbox Counter-Strike--will be distributed by one of VU's main rivals. Today, Electronic Arts revealed that as of this fall, it will be the international publisher of the forthcoming Xbox version of Half-Life 2, which will now ship in October 2005. EA will also assume distribution duties on a new Game of the Year edition of Half-Life 2 for the PC, which will include Half-Life 2 and Counter-Strike: Source, as well as Half-Life 2: Deathmatch and Half-Life: Source, in a single box.

However, Valve will now officially self-publish all its PC products, although the newly announced--and carefully worded--agreement will let EA "deliver a collection of Valve games to players worldwide" in the future.

"We consider Half-Life and Counter-Strike to be two of the best game franchises of all time," said Tom Frisina, vice president and general manager of EA Partners, in a statement. "We could not be more excited to have the opportunity to help deliver these outstanding games to players around the globe."

Valve founder and president Gabe Newell had similarly kind words. "By combining EA's unparalleled operation structure and distribution channel with Valve's award-winning development teams and games community, we've established an awesome combination for delivering great products to console and PC gamers around the world," he said.

The EA-Valve arrangement covers the boxed, retail editions of Half-Life 2 and Counter-Strike: Source but does not affect digitally distributed versions of the game. As before, those games will be delivered and updated via Steam, Valve's online service.

This is great news. I cant wait for Half Life Underground 2006.
Tue 19/07/05 at 07:54
Regular
"Mozzy"
I should've posted this in one of the console forums, oh well...

Just over three months ago, one of the most contentious relationships in game history came to an end. On April 28, after months of overt legal disputes and covert bickering, VU Games and Valve Software announced they were ending a half-decade-long publishing deal. The arrangement saw the former publish the latter's groundbreaking PC first-person shooters Half-Life, Counter-Strike, and Half-Life 2.

However, Valve's next console game--after the PlayStation 2 Half-Life and the Xbox Counter-Strike--will be distributed by one of VU's main rivals. Today, Electronic Arts revealed that as of this fall, it will be the international publisher of the forthcoming Xbox version of Half-Life 2, which will now ship in October 2005. EA will also assume distribution duties on a new Game of the Year edition of Half-Life 2 for the PC, which will include Half-Life 2 and Counter-Strike: Source, as well as Half-Life 2: Deathmatch and Half-Life: Source, in a single box.

However, Valve will now officially self-publish all its PC products, although the newly announced--and carefully worded--agreement will let EA "deliver a collection of Valve games to players worldwide" in the future.

"We consider Half-Life and Counter-Strike to be two of the best game franchises of all time," said Tom Frisina, vice president and general manager of EA Partners, in a statement. "We could not be more excited to have the opportunity to help deliver these outstanding games to players around the globe."

Valve founder and president Gabe Newell had similarly kind words. "By combining EA's unparalleled operation structure and distribution channel with Valve's award-winning development teams and games community, we've established an awesome combination for delivering great products to console and PC gamers around the world," he said.

The EA-Valve arrangement covers the boxed, retail editions of Half-Life 2 and Counter-Strike: Source but does not affect digitally distributed versions of the game. As before, those games will be delivered and updated via Steam, Valve's online service.

This is great news. I cant wait for Half Life Underground 2006.
Tue 19/07/05 at 10:06
Regular
"serenity now!"
Source?

Wow, this sucks. Just console would be bad enough, but the PC versions too. That's EA in charge of BF2 & CS:S, the biggest two shooters around.
Tue 19/07/05 at 10:10
Regular
"Captain to you."
At least there will always be the steam option. Console versions of HL2 and CSS are pointless unless the owner buys a keyboard and mouse.
Tue 19/07/05 at 10:11
Regular
Thankfully/hopefully EA will only be the Publishers for Valve's games, meaning the games themselves will remain untouched by EA's grubby mitts.

A deal like this could lead to EA games being delivered/run via Steam in the future - as fussy as Steam is, it's much much better than EA's systems.

And thanks for reminding me of Half Life 2 - I lost all my saves when I reinstalled, meaning I have to start from scratch :(
Tue 19/07/05 at 10:13
Regular
Chippxero wrote:
> At least there will always be the steam option. Console versions of
> HL2 and CSS are pointless unless the owner buys a keyboard and mouse.

Not entirely true - CSX worked pretty damn well, it just failed in the sales department, even though there was - and probably still is - a large userbase.
Tue 19/07/05 at 14:07
Regular
"bot"
FPS using a controller can work reasonably well, but I bet the console players were much slower and if they played against someone with keyboard and mouse, it is 99.9% likely that in any frantic scenarios (read: unless they shoot you in the back) they would get pwned every time.
Tue 19/07/05 at 15:22
Regular
Bah...EA are taking over...soon they will rule everyone :|
Tue 19/07/05 at 16:40
Regular
"8==="
FPS using a controller works really well providing the makers/converters do a decent job of porting it across/designing the game around the controller.

Goldeneye > Half Life.
Tue 19/07/05 at 16:43
Regular
"bot"
It's not the coding, it's the fact that analogue sticks aren't as fast or as accurate as a mouse. I hate the original Half Life but it still controls better than Goldeneye.
Tue 19/07/05 at 16:44
Regular
"8==="
Bullett wrote:
>
> Not entirely true - CSX worked pretty damn well, it just failed in
> the sales department, even though there was - and probably still is -
> a large userbase.

Works better than the PC version IMO thanks to the lack of people who can shoot through walls/use aim bots, the standardisation (no one has a better setup than someone else) and the general atmosphere created by not playing against people who have to justify the expense of their PC.

How there could have been a sales problem in bringing a popular game over to Xbox which is still played by a lot of people each week is hard to comprehend. Then again VU games aren't very good at maximiseing profit.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.