GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Broadband around the house ..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 13/07/05 at 12:31
"period drama"
Excuse my ignorance, and I'm sure this gets asked every 5 minutes or so, but whatever ...

Best way to get broadband access in another place in the house from where it's hooked up to the main computer?

Would just buying another modem and setting my laptop up the same work? Or does it all have to go through the main computer?
Thu 14/07/05 at 13:16
Regular
You need to have a wireless ethernet adapter in the other computer to use it, or a wired ethernet adapter, but wires are messy.

You are alos about to enter a world of pain when it comes to setting this thing up.

WEP encryption is easily hacked so other people can access your network, so you should be using WPA, but if you're like me and own a PSP which doesn't support WPA, nice one Sony, you're going to need to use WEP.

Sounding like fun yet?

Just remember to ask for help "when" you have a problem setting up the SSID etc.

If you want to make life easier on yourelf, stump up the extra for the Belkin wireless router, it has an amazing firewall to stop hacking and DoS (Denial of Service) attacks. That's the router I have. It even comes with softeware to set up your netowrk settings automatically and set up the router for you so you don't have to do it yourself.

The cheap one will mean manual network set-up.
Thu 14/07/05 at 20:15
"period drama"
Heh - I guess we'll just have to wait and see which one of you is right.
Thu 14/07/05 at 23:37
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Bonus wrote:
> WEP encryption is easily hacked so other people can access your
> network, so you should be using WPA, but if you're like me and own a
> PSP which doesn't support WPA, nice one Sony, you're going to need to
> use WEP.

But in all fairness WEP is going to be fine for home use especially at 128Bit.

We thing to look into is Access lists. My Netgear has them and there great, as it will only allow MAC codes you input acsess. It does work as I had to reset my router at night and set the router to only access MAC codes from the list, which was empty. Next day my parents tried to use the PC downstairs but couldnt as the MAC code wasnt listed. It didnt even detect the network at all, and they had the WEP key and everything.
Sun 17/07/05 at 03:11
Regular
Any decent router should have access lists :).

They're a router feature, and not necassarily a wireless specific thing. My second router and my old broken router both supported these too, neither of which were wireless.
Mon 18/07/05 at 10:51
"period drama"
gamesfreak wins

It took all of 10 minutes to set up, and I'm posting this from the garden on my laptop. A few teething problems fiddling around with Ethernet settings, but other than that no problems whatsoever.

hoorah
Mon 18/07/05 at 10:55
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
You might want to give [URL]https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2[/URL] a try, to see how your router is showing you online (file sharing, common ports, all service ports, etc).
Mon 18/07/05 at 11:36
"period drama"
"Your system has achieved a perfect "TruStealth" rating. Not a single packet — solicited or otherwise — was received from your system as a result of our security probing tests."

etc etc etc
Mon 18/07/05 at 12:57
Regular
FinalFantasyFanatic wrote:
> gamesfreak wins

Yes.

My router broke the other day, this was due to my brother inserting a 12v adapter into the 9v router. Like an idiot.
Mon 18/07/05 at 13:43
Regular
"Twenty quid."
Round of applause for gamezfreak.
Mon 18/07/05 at 18:10
"period drama"
Trying to do the security stuff now. It's all pretty confusing.
Even with the settings on, my laptop seems to be able to access the WLAN regardless.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.