GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Broadband around the house ..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 13/07/05 at 12:31
"period drama"
Excuse my ignorance, and I'm sure this gets asked every 5 minutes or so, but whatever ...

Best way to get broadband access in another place in the house from where it's hooked up to the main computer?

Would just buying another modem and setting my laptop up the same work? Or does it all have to go through the main computer?
Wed 13/07/05 at 12:31
"period drama"
Excuse my ignorance, and I'm sure this gets asked every 5 minutes or so, but whatever ...

Best way to get broadband access in another place in the house from where it's hooked up to the main computer?

Would just buying another modem and setting my laptop up the same work? Or does it all have to go through the main computer?
Wed 13/07/05 at 12:33
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Take the router, er, route.

Basically it connects to the line before any computers do and shares the internet connection. This way you don't need a central computer on as a hub to keep the internet on.
Wed 13/07/05 at 12:36
Regular
[URL]http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=74902[/URL]

This connects to the phone socket. Connect this to the main PC as well.

[URL]http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=63014[/URL]

Use this in your laptop and connect wirelessly to the router.

Should work fine. Someone better confirm this though =D
Wed 13/07/05 at 12:38
"period drama"
They're both Macs, by the by.
Wed 13/07/05 at 12:40
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
I'd go for a wireless router with built in DSL modem myself, as it'll simply the whole Internet sharing, as well as enable you to use your laptop wirelessly (while using a wired connection for your main PC if you wish), and setting up a network between your PC and laptop, which could come in handy for file / printer sharing as well as head to head gaming.

I couldn't personally make any recommendations, as I don't know what's on offer these days, but I've found my Belkin wireless router and adapter to be a fantastic little investment, but of course, better may have come along since I made my purchase (just over a year ago). One thing I will add though, Belkin have fantastic customer services, from my experience.
Wed 13/07/05 at 14:33
"period drama"
I'm not at all bothered about file-sharing with the main computer - once I get all my stuff off of there, I'll have no need for it. I just want to be able to get on the internet from my bedroom.

I take it the buying another modem option isn't viable, then?

Few more things:

- Will these routers work with Macs, or will I have to get one from Apple themselves? yey cost.

- Is there much slowdown in a wireless internet connection than just through the wires.

- Does it matter which ISP and modem type you've got for any of this?
Wed 13/07/05 at 15:48
Regular
"Twenty quid."
The routers should work with your Macs - they all support the 802.11g standard.

Slowdown won't be a problem - I'm on a 2Mbps connection and the router to Mac connection runs at maximum of 54Mbps so unless the wireless signal is really really bad then there's no slowdown.

Edit: Have your Macs got Airport Extreme cards? I'm not sure that using a wireless PCMCIA card or USB dongle will work, but I could be wrong.
Wed 13/07/05 at 17:14
"period drama"
My Powerbook's got an Airport Extreme card in it, but the main computer has nothing.

Do you think that'll only work with the Airports, or any other router as well?
Wed 13/07/05 at 17:26
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
Damarus wrote:
[URL]http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=63014[/URL]
>
> Use this in your laptop and connect wirelessly to the router.

I'm gonna buy this, so I just stick it into the side of my laptop and I'm sorted? Right?

(I've got the NAP too, I'm not that thick!)
Wed 13/07/05 at 18:11
Regular
"Twenty quid."
FinalFantasyFanatic wrote:
> Do you think that'll only work with the Airports, or any other router as well?

The Airport Extreme card(s) should work with any wireless router so you don't need to buy an Airport Extreme base station.

I don't think PCMCIA cards or USB dongles work with Macs so you will need to buy an Airport Extreme card for your non-wireless Mac.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.