GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Rare hiring staff to start work on DS titles"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 07/07/05 at 16:59
Regular
"thursdayton!"
It's on C-E here. [URL]http://www.cube-europe.com/news.php?nid=7989[/URL]

"Games Programmers (Nintendo DS)
Must be motivated, enthusiastic and skilled in C/C++ to join our dedicated handheld team, recently nominated for a Develop Industry Excellence Award. 3D skills also an advantage in creating high-profile titles for this unique system."

"Experienced 3D Artists (Nintendo DS)
Good understanding of 3D packages (preferably Maya), strong modelling and texturing abilities, imagination and motivation are all required from anyone hoping to join our Develop award-nominated team in creating key DS titles."

Yayness, no?

Edit:

And RETRO STUDIOS are hiring a load of people too, just google Retro Studios for their website and details. They also confirm on there they're working on a Metroid Prime 3 for the Revolution. Good to know.
Mon 11/07/05 at 16:17
Regular
Hedfix wrote:
> Complex amount of moves/characters?
>
> It was dead easy.

I didn't mean you'd find it complicated.
DK64's mix 'n match of character/move combinations is more complicated than Mario's 1 chracter, smaller set of moves.

Mario's smaller amount of moves meant more was made of them - more complex game.
Dk's moves weren't used to any depth - simple, shallow, puzzles for each of the moves.

Let's say it was more complex from a game designer's point of view.
Or even better go back and read what Gerrid wrote.
I think he put it better than me.
Mon 11/07/05 at 10:12
Regular
Hedfix wrote:
> Complex amount of moves/characters?
>
> It was dead easy.

Yes but get to the latter half of the game and we had 5 characters, each with a series of special moves... and then secondary special moves... then they had their individual guns... and they had 3-4 jumps each... and then some sorta little trick... then underwater moves etc... and you got more and more of these as the game progressed.

In Mario 64, all you got were a series of 3 caps... that is how Miyamoto managed to extend the game.

Tooie was even worse, there were even more moves for the series of characters you could play as. Variety my ass, just endless "remember button combination, accidentally do back flip instead of handstand back flip... die... stamp on controller".
Mon 11/07/05 at 01:30
Regular
"8==="
Complex amount of moves/characters?

It was dead easy.
Mon 11/07/05 at 01:26
Regular
You know what he means...

A complex amount of moves/characters, most of which you'd use once or twice for one or two puzzles. Not played Tooiee but DK64 was a mess, with just stuff bunged in for the sake of it.

I think Banjo Kazooie had the right balance.
Mon 11/07/05 at 00:56
Regular
"8==="
Heh.

You're saying DK64 was complicated?
Sun 10/07/05 at 17:01
Regular
Edgy wrote:
> Except Conker was a great Context Sensitive game which did it well.

Conker's context sensitivity was the driving force behind the game and implemented simply.

Banjo in Tooie had about 30 extra moves than conker and not to mention a host of other bits and bobs you could do.

Nintendo are part right. Mario 64 was a simple game simply because there wasn't many moves and the genius that is Miyamoto managed to adapt 1000's of puzzles around just a handful of moves. A clever guy.

RARE, talented as they are, lack the ingenuity of the Japanese gaming God and so when they came to creating a new puzzle, 9/10 they'd bung a new move in for good measure.

DK64 was the same.
Sat 09/07/05 at 13:33
Regular
"8==="
I liked DK64.

I got to shoot loads of things and the platforming wasn't hard.
Sat 09/07/05 at 13:24
Regular
Except Conker was a great Context Sensitive game which did it well.

Banjo Tooie didn't...
Sat 09/07/05 at 12:36
Regular
"bit of a brain"
It's alright, but it's not Banjo Kazooie. The problem, like Donkey Kong, is that, rather than relying on a simple set of moves to solve puzzles/platform around, everything was accessed by some special "context sensitive move", like turning into the big Mumbo Magic people. The best platform games are all based around a simple move set, and the challenge is knowing what to do in each situation and freestyling your way through, rather than standing on a pad and pressing A in order to progress.
Sat 09/07/05 at 11:37
Regular
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> Tooie was wondeful you stinking blasphemer!

Bah, I couldn't stand the get new move... get item... get new move... get item.... get new move... get item... fight big thing... move on.

Slap slap slap!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.