GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"All you dirty P2P music stealers beware.."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 24/06/05 at 23:53
Regular
"thursdayton!"
"A mother has received a demand for £4,000 in compensation by solicitors acting for the music industry after her daughter, Emily, was caught illegally downloading songs by her favourite artists.

Mrs Price, a self-confessed computer illiterate, said: "I don't know where I'm going to get the money from. I'll have to go to prison because I haven't got that kind of money."

As well as using the PC to help with her homework, 14-year-old Emily had been using file-sharing to download 1,400 songs for free."

From the Guardian. [URL]http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,,1511068,00.html[/URL]

How stupid is this? I know it's making an example but even so.

On a more personal note, Tphi wonders whether turning off LimeWire now might not be a bad idea.
Wed 29/06/05 at 15:11
Regular
Chippxero wrote:
> I say good, she must have know her daughter was downloading music.

I wouldn't say so.
Wed 29/06/05 at 14:26
Regular
"thursdayton!"
Damarus wrote:
> DVD's - I'd never pay £20 for a DVD to watch it a couple of
> times.

To be fair, few DVDs are £20 unless its a boxset. But yeh I agree that sometimes you want a particular track on the album and don't want to buy the whole goddamned thing.
Wed 29/06/05 at 14:22
Regular
I'd never buy most of the stuff I download anyway unless having tried the download to find out that it is worth purchase.

Examples:

Albums - You hear one good song from the album. Why would I want to spend £15 on an album where I have no idea if the song I like is the only song I like.

Movies - If it's a good film I will usually go and see it at the cinema with mates. If no one wants to go to watch a certain film I'm not going to go on my own anyway.

DVD's - I'd never pay £20 for a DVD to watch it a couple of times.

Games - I buy the ones I like and download the ones worth a try. If it's good I'll buy it.
Wed 29/06/05 at 13:55
Regular
Bit Torrent is a protocol which is designed to allow file-sharing.

One file can be made into a "torrent" and distributed to other people.

So like say if person 1 puts an album up for release and shares the torrent file with persons 2 and 3, they will be downloading off person 1 whilst offering others to join the 'swarm' and download off each other.

You can get various Bit-Torrent clients that use the BT design, such as Azureus.

The protocol was designed to take strains off a 'Central Server' and allow sharing of huge files. Obviously the 'warez' and underground groups adapted to this and used it for illegal releases of films, albums, games and software.

The trick is, to find sites that share these .torrent files for you to use (not that I condone it). They're like 1kb in size.

All you do is open a torrent and start downloading/uploading.
Wed 29/06/05 at 13:13
Regular
What is Bit Torrent, and why can you only get albums off it?
Wed 29/06/05 at 12:42
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
Not that I condone the stealing of music, but I don't see why people don't just use Bit Torrent. Granted, it's not as easy, and you get albums as opposed to songs. And you can't guarantee a good download speed, but it's a better idea.

Still, piracy is, and always has been a problem. Maybe if they didn't charge so much for a CD, they wouldn't have this problem. All CD's should sell at £9.99 MAX. I don't buy anything new from a music shop unless it's in the sale. I buy all my music from 'moc.YALP'... Cheaper than most places for music.
Wed 29/06/05 at 12:29
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
phi11ip wrote:
> Legendary Link wrote:
> i would imagine that the main offence was uploading the songs, i
> mean
> if she had 1400 songs for people to download....... thats a lot of
> songs, i suggest not having ne thing to upload.
>
> That's the only reason she got caught. Downloading isn't seen as the
> problem, it's uploading them.

Yeah, thats right - I remember reading the article a few months back - she was convicted of uploading all the music
Wed 29/06/05 at 10:06
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
Legendary Link wrote:
> i would imagine that the main offence was uploading the songs, i mean
> if she had 1400 songs for people to download....... thats a lot of
> songs, i suggest not having ne thing to upload.

That's the only reason she got caught. Downloading isn't seen as the problem, it's uploading them.
Wed 29/06/05 at 09:30
Regular
"I am Bumf Ucked"
Think we've had the file sharing debate before.

I download loads, but I still go to at least a gig a month. Support the artist that way.
Tue 28/06/05 at 22:16
Regular
Memorandum!ette wrote:
> Alfonse;
> you have to be the most illiterate, ignorant, idiotic,
> imbecilic wankshaft I've had the misfortune to be acquainted with on
> here

Takes one to know one!1111!¬!!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.