GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Dual Hard Drives"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 17/06/05 at 18:21
Regular
"Team Laser Explosio"
I've run out of space on my current HDrive and basically need to extend it.
1) Could I just put in a second HDrive and effectivly have it added on (eg. 80Gb +80Gb to give 160Gb) OR would that just make me a second computer(eg. two 80Gb HDrives with separate logins.).
2) Would it just be easier to get a new giant HDrive, say 200Gb, and transfer the files using a program.

Does anyone have any ideas on any of these setups?
Fri 17/06/05 at 18:39
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Well you choose where you want to save it. It acts just like if you had a USB pen stuck in there, but bigger, obviously. So you can choose to save things to one or the other, and set one as the default for saving dlls or whatever.
Fri 17/06/05 at 18:36
Regular
"Team Laser Explosio"
I'm fine about taking apart computers so an internal one is ideal. I'm a bit confused by that now, does that mean that that files will automatically be saved to one(eg. C:) but I have the option to transfer to the other(eg. U:)? (eg. C: <--> U:)?
Are the files split evenly or does the file sharing depend on something else?(eg. partition, Master/Slave)
Fri 17/06/05 at 18:30
Regular
"bit of a brain"
You can just stick on an extra hard drive and, as long as it doesn't have a diferent OS installed, it'll just come up with a different drive letter, such as U:\ or whatever, once its all installed and that. You could get an external HDD if you don't want to open up your PC.
Fri 17/06/05 at 18:28
Regular
"the burning sky"
As far as I know, you can just add a second Hard-drive, and set the jumpers as slave. I have two 40Gb's running fine like that, tho I dont have any logons set-up, so it may be slightly different in terms of sharing and whatnot. However you wont setup two logons, even if XP is installed on the second hard-drive...
Fri 17/06/05 at 18:21
Regular
"Team Laser Explosio"
I've run out of space on my current HDrive and basically need to extend it.
1) Could I just put in a second HDrive and effectivly have it added on (eg. 80Gb +80Gb to give 160Gb) OR would that just make me a second computer(eg. two 80Gb HDrives with separate logins.).
2) Would it just be easier to get a new giant HDrive, say 200Gb, and transfer the files using a program.

Does anyone have any ideas on any of these setups?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.