GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Dual Hard Drives"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 17/06/05 at 18:21
Regular
"Team Laser Explosio"
I've run out of space on my current HDrive and basically need to extend it.
1) Could I just put in a second HDrive and effectivly have it added on (eg. 80Gb +80Gb to give 160Gb) OR would that just make me a second computer(eg. two 80Gb HDrives with separate logins.).
2) Would it just be easier to get a new giant HDrive, say 200Gb, and transfer the files using a program.

Does anyone have any ideas on any of these setups?
Fri 17/06/05 at 23:12
Regular
"bit of a brain"
get that dual RAID setup.
Fri 17/06/05 at 22:12
Regular
"NULL"
There is a Microsoft KnowledgeBase article which tells you how to access files in a user's "space". I can't remember the code for it, but a bit of googling will turn it up.
Fri 17/06/05 at 20:30
Regular
On a similar note, I've been thinking about getting a really fast, low capacity HDD for my computer.

The idea is you only put the OS on it, and the faster loading gives you an almost instant start-up.

It'd be good for using the pc as a media centre, as you could basically switch it on and be ready to entertain yourself. Like a regular tv/stereo.

Anyone else done this?
Any idea how much you have to pay for one of these HDDs?

And would this method involve complicated jerking around getting the OS onto the new one, as the default boot drive, allowing full access to all the files on the old drive?

Presumably you could specify the fast HDD as default boot (after floppy or whatever) in BIOS, but if the file content on the old HDD is tied to a user account perhaps you'll struggle to access it?
Fri 17/06/05 at 19:29
Regular
"The Red Shift"
But like Merm says, live with U:/ for your new one.

:D
Fri 17/06/05 at 19:28
Regular
"The Red Shift"
Heh.

A solution to the U:/ thing would be to

1) disconnect all drivers (like floppy, CD, other HDD)
2) reinstall windows
3) reconnect drivers
4) reassociate drivers to system

Hasslesome, yes. It would make your new HDD C:/ though, which saves time later on because software is automatically set up to suggest installing to C:/.

Check it up on the net though.

OR:

You could disconnect your current HDD anc connect the new one to the cable and see if it naturally accepts it as the same one, then tag your old one on the end as U:/. This asks the question whether it would recognise that the OS is installed on U:/, not C:/
Fri 17/06/05 at 19:19
Regular
"bit of a brain"
hey! :' {

I hope it works.
Fri 17/06/05 at 19:17
Regular
"Team Laser Explosio"
gerrid wrote:
> Why don't you just install a new harddrive and then save everything to
> that instead of to your original hard drive. What's wrong with that?

That is what I wanted to do. I don't think I understand computers.

*Reads through all posts again*

OK, I think I understand now. Will go off and splurge money on 2nd HDrive, but if it doesn't work i'm blaming you gerrid.
i hate computers
Fri 17/06/05 at 19:14
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Well exactly. It doesn't make a difference.
Fri 17/06/05 at 19:14
Regular
"bot"
gerrid wrote:
> No he seems to want to run his OS off the new HD, for some unknown
> reason. It would be exactly the same whichever HD you ran it off.

yeah. What's the difference between having a 40GB with the OS and a 120GB slave or having a 120GB OS and a 40GB slave, for example?
Fri 17/06/05 at 19:13
Regular
"bot"
He just doesn't understand. I think 'option 1' is what he thinks we're proposing.

Adding a second drive will just make a second HDD appear in your OS. You will then be able to save things onto it as well as your other drive.

I don't get what his problem is with doing this.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.