GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Question to anyone who speaks English !"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 16/06/05 at 14:35
Regular
"..."
Yesterday was my English exam, and there was a question that I disagreed on with all the English teachers in the school, so in order to know the exact correct answer, the best thing to do is to ask British people (I am Egyptian by the way). This is the question:

Begin the following phrase with the word "Books", so that it would give the same meaning:
-People still read books.

My answer: Books are still being read by people.
The teachers' answer: Books are still read by people.

There are only 2 students in the school that wrote my answer: Me and my friend, and we're both the best English students in the school. And I mean the BEST, there is no one else in the school that can be compared to us. While on the other hand, all 3 English teachers in the school say that the correct answer is the other one, so ?
Thu 16/06/05 at 14:52
Regular
Correct! 1010 marks for in the style of Yoda! A*
Thu 16/06/05 at 14:53
Regular
"..."
Please don't joke about it. My future depends on that, so I want to discus it correctly.
Thu 16/06/05 at 14:53
Regular
"bit of a brain"
homosh wrote:
> When you say "I am being abused", it doesn't mean that it is
> happening right now.

No, but try that sentence without the word "being" and see where it gets you
Thu 16/06/05 at 14:54
Regular
homosh wrote:
> When you say "I am being abused", it doesn't mean that it is
> happening right now.

But it CAN imply it.

You say "I am abused", and people will know that someone abuses you.
Thu 16/06/05 at 14:55
Regular
"..."
Well, some how without being, it doesn't make sense to me, and the same with my friend..
Thu 16/06/05 at 14:55
Regular
That's becuase you aren't the BEST at English! unlucky!
Thu 16/06/05 at 14:56
Regular
"..."
I am the best in my school.
Thu 16/06/05 at 14:57
Regular
"bot"
gerrid wrote:
> homosh wrote:
> When you say "I am being abused", it doesn't mean that it
> is
> happening right now.
>
> No, but try that sentence without the word "being" and see
> where it gets you

Ah, but you would say "I am being absued" because it is something that happens to you in the present. It doesn't have to be happening as you say it. If a strange one abused me every night, I would say to someone "I am being abused", because it would let them know that it IS happening so they could help me.
Thu 16/06/05 at 14:58
Regular
"bit of a brain"
It makes perfect sense without the word "being". In english you don't always need the passive form of "to be" to make something passive.
Thu 16/06/05 at 14:58
Regular
"bot"
homosh wrote:
> Well, some how without being, it doesn't make sense to me, and the
> same with my friend..

It makes more sense without it. It's not technically wrong, but adding in extra unnecessary words just serves to make the sentence more ambiguous.

And I'm the best at English in my school too!!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.