GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Live Music Thread"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 08/06/05 at 21:51
Regular
There's so many people in here who like so many bands, I'm sure between us we've been to many many concerts. I'm just getting into live music, but it really excites me, and I was basically thinking we should have one thread to discuss all forms of live music.
A few discussion starters to get you going:
- Most memorable gig experience? Band or song or moment?
- Worst gig experience?
- Gigs going to in the near future?
- Gigs you'd love to go to but missed out on?
- A little shortlist of the gigs you've been to?
- Craziest gig experience?
- Favourite venue?

You don't have to stick to these questions, any point you have is welcomed.
Sat 11/06/05 at 20:49
Regular
What's everyone's favourite gig venue? I personally love Shepherd's Bush Empire, the architecture inside is like a palace.
Sat 11/06/05 at 17:30
Regular
"you've got a beard"
Asher wrote:
> Must have been pretty cool playing in front of 500 people though lol

best night of my life mate.
really strange to be selling things, signing stuff, signing people(!), chatting to loads of people all telling you how great you are and all the while be slightly bemused because they don't seem to realise that you're nobody and you'll be back working a desk job the next day :)

i'm proud of what we accomplished though, as it was all totally off our own backs. i've been in a few bands before and since, but never one that was as motivated or as organised and if you want to get anywhere, those are the 2 things you need the most.
Sat 11/06/05 at 16:44
"slightlyshortertagl"
Asher wrote:
> - Most memorable gig experience? Band or song or moment?
Screaming along to the opening lines of Basement Jaxx's Good Luck when they played the Brixton Academy a in March 04.
Skinnyman appearing out of nowhere during a Foreign Beggars set (last night, Fabric, Amazing), sending the crowd (and me, at the front) absolutely bonkers.

> - Worst gig experience?
I tend to pick my gigs carefully, not been to a bad one.

> - Gigs going to in the near future?
Roll Deep @ Fabric
Hopefully - Jaxx @ O2 Festival

> - Gigs you'd love to go to but missed out on?
John Legend @ Sheperds Bush Empire a month or so ago.

> - A little shortlist of the gigs you've been to?
London Elektricity - Jazz Cafe, Camden
Jehst - Jazz Cafe, Camden
Basement Jaxx - Brixton Academy
Party In The Park (First, second and fourth one)
Roll Deep - Fabric, London
The Streets - Ally Pally.
Sat 11/06/05 at 11:19
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
I'll be going to see Bad Religion headline the concrete jungle at Reading this year hopefully... :D

Also, they're playing a small UK tour around the Reading/Leeds dates, might also go to their London date, as it looks like we'll be paying for our Uni house over Summer anyway as we can only get 12 month contracts. Spose it may as well see some use... And Seeing them twice would be aceness. I feel excited just thinking about it.
Fri 10/06/05 at 19:30
Regular
Must have been pretty cool playing in front of 500 people though lol
Fri 10/06/05 at 14:25
Regular
"you've got a beard"
the band that did the best business (like the 'A' slot) was "the Inline sk8ing Barbies" (don't blame me, the name was decided before i joined :) ).
we've ben split up a few years now though as we all moved to different places and did different things.

after that i was in a hardcore group called Intifada, which was gloriously heavy, i really enjoyed it. but again, we all moved away to go to different uni's and stuff :(

i'd like to do a band now, but simply don't have the time.
Thu 09/06/05 at 17:48
Regular
Yeah, what's your band called?
Thu 09/06/05 at 17:40
Regular
"you've got a beard"
Asher wrote:
> - Most memorable gig experience? Band or song or moment?

Supporting 'A' a few years back, sold out venue of 500 people all rocking along to our music.. which was a nice thing as sometimes people can be really snotty about support bands.

Also met Devin Townsend at a strapping young lad show (in 1998 i believe) it's always good to meet your hero, it's even better when they and the rest of the band are totally cool people with not a hint of ago or pretention.

> - Worst gig experience?

shared a dressing room with Rachel Stamp. crap band, crap people. total losers.

> - Gigs going to in the near future?

just seen Strapping Young Lad again and they're still outstanding, there's really noone else like them.

> - Gigs you'd love to go to but missed out on?

i've still not seen Black Label Society :(
and download looked good this year too, but i hate camping.

> - A little shortlist of the gigs you've been to?

not enough time in the day for this one... :)
Thu 09/06/05 at 17:07
Regular
I saw Rufus Wainwright at the Shepherd's Bush Empire earlier this year, was fantastic, and Memphis Skyline (the song about Jeff Buckley) followed seamlessly by his version of Hallelujah was amazing, I swear time stood still.
Thu 09/06/05 at 16:16
Regular
So far I've only been to one gig, this being Alexisonfire vs. Rise Against. Only comment about it was the actual venue - nothing like I expected but it was great. Carling Academy Islington was the place, was a shame a drink cost me like 4 quid for some crappy plastic cup. I mean I knew it would be plastic, but 4 quid? Gah. Other than that it was great for a first time, really got into it.

Next band I'm seeing play is Funeral for a Friend at the Astoria, should be good. I did intend to go and see Underoath a while ago but decided against it in the end due to a lack of funds :(

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.