GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Predictions are useless..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 31/05/01 at 23:22
Regular
I have played console games from an early age, with the years of playing comes the knowledge of gaming (I hope), many consoles have past and moved on, many have died and entered the ever increasing console graveyard, but from what I can remember there are plenty of unpredictable tales in the time I have been around.

There is not much point going into the examples as for this market and industry these are endless, but I feel I have a point when I say predictions are useless.

Unless you have been inside a time machine or are indeed the Highlander you really can't predict what is going to happen for the consoles and companies for the next few years, I would have laughed and joked if someone said five years ago Sega would be working with Nintendo, I would have cryed three years ago if someone had said the Dreamcast would officially die a few months ago...

..this kind of news people can't predict, and so why do we see many people making predictions in the forum for saying 'which console will win' etc....

Well the majority of the time this is down to their favorite hardware company, and although I would say Nintendo is mine, I wouldn't make pointless predictions, as maybe in two years time the Gamecube will taking the short walk into the graveyard, maybe it will be the Playstation 2? Nobody knows.

Anyone can make a prediction, half the time there is no point, the future of gaming will most probably be full of more twists and turns then an episode of your daily soap but whatever you do, don't rule out anyone or anything...

Thanks
er-no
Thu 31/05/01 at 23:22
Regular
"everyone says it"
I have played console games from an early age, with the years of playing comes the knowledge of gaming (I hope), many consoles have past and moved on, many have died and entered the ever increasing console graveyard, but from what I can remember there are plenty of unpredictable tales in the time I have been around.

There is not much point going into the examples as for this market and industry these are endless, but I feel I have a point when I say predictions are useless.

Unless you have been inside a time machine or are indeed the Highlander you really can't predict what is going to happen for the consoles and companies for the next few years, I would have laughed and joked if someone said five years ago Sega would be working with Nintendo, I would have cryed three years ago if someone had said the Dreamcast would officially die a few months ago...

..this kind of news people can't predict, and so why do we see many people making predictions in the forum for saying 'which console will win' etc....

Well the majority of the time this is down to their favorite hardware company, and although I would say Nintendo is mine, I wouldn't make pointless predictions, as maybe in two years time the Gamecube will taking the short walk into the graveyard, maybe it will be the Playstation 2? Nobody knows.

Anyone can make a prediction, half the time there is no point, the future of gaming will most probably be full of more twists and turns then an episode of your daily soap but whatever you do, don't rule out anyone or anything...

Thanks
er-no
Thu 31/05/01 at 23:26
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Yeah predictions are usually false!

Good Post
Thu 31/05/01 at 23:27
Regular
I dunno, Gaming is still in its ealry stage. nintedo and Sega have leanrned from their few mistakes and should be able to establish themselves permently in the games indusrty.
Thu 31/05/01 at 23:28
Regular
"everyone says it"
SHEEPY wrote:
> Yeah predictions are usually false!

Well obviously 99.9% of them are, but then with this huge majority we ignore the actual true predictions that pass us... oh well.
Thu 31/05/01 at 23:30
Regular
"everyone says it"
Batistuta wrote:
> I dunno, Gaming is still in its ealry stage. Nintendo and Sega have
> leanrt from their few mistakes and should be able to establish
> themselves permently in the games industry.

Both Sega and Nintendo have established themselves in the gaming industry to say they haven't would be a crime!
Thu 31/05/01 at 23:30
Very good point :)
Thu 31/05/01 at 23:31
Regular
What i ment was permantly to the extent at which they will never be removed.
Thu 31/05/01 at 23:32
er-no wrote:
> Batistuta wrote:
> I dunno, Gaming is still in its ealry stage.
> Nintendo and Sega have
> leanrt from their few mistakes and
> should be able to establish
> themselves permently in the games
> industry.

Both Sega and Nintendo have established themselves in
> the gaming industry to say they haven't would be a crime!

Sega and Nintendo ARE the gaming industry (to a certain extent...)
Thu 31/05/01 at 23:34
Regular
"everyone says it"
Batistuta wrote:
> I dunno, Gaming is still in its ealry stage.

Oh, this is a tricky comment, because as I tried to mention in the topic post, I have been around for the best part of console gaming, since the age of two I had an obsession with Duck Hunt, it really does depend on how old and how long you have been playing games. Gaming in my account is way past the early stages, it has now entered the 'advanced' stages, hmmm..... I wonder when the Ice Age will come...

:)
Thu 31/05/01 at 23:38
Regular
Well, Gaming should be around forever. So i reckon its still in its early stage right? Gaming started in the 80's didnt it?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.