GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What's the best console out at present and what is going to be the best next generation console?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 31/05/01 at 18:57
Regular
Playstation is not as good as N64. No way. I hate the playstation and i'm not just saying that because I own an N64 because I also own a Dreamcast and N64 is a lot better than that as well (dreamcast is still better than playstation though). In my opinion N64 is the best console out at the moment and although a lot of the games are kiddy they are still great games (mario, banjo-kazzoie/tooie for example). There are loads of non kiddy games as well though like goldeneye, perfect dark and shadowman. Although I say that N64 is the best console out at present I have never played a PS2 although to be honest I don't think it looks that great and again, I'm not just saying that. I do think it will become a great console in the future with class games such as Metal Gear Solid 2 and Gran Turismo 3 coming out but there really aren't enough games out at the moment to make it the best console and for 300 quid it's also too expensive. Anyway by the time MGS2 and GT3 are out the Gamecube will probably be out as well and and no matter how much people say PS2 will be better, I say - NO CHANCE!!! Just wait for Perfect Dark Zero, Wave Race:Blue Storm, Metroid, and Rogue Squadron 2. You may say that they are just sequels to old games but so are MGS 2 and GT3. Anyway they are sequels to already great games. However, I have one doubt about PD Zero and that is that I have no idea how you improve on PERFECTion. Hold on a minute, I thought that about Goldeneye and then Perfect Dark came out. Oh well , I know I can trust rare to come up with something absolutely amazing. Just think of online play with PD Zero.
Anyway, having a dreamcast as well I can also say that it is nowhere near as good as N64. It isn't bad. There are SOME really great games but there just isn't enough of them. Soul Calibur, Shenmue and MSR are the best but i've played all of those to death (with the exception of soul calibur because that just never gets boring). None of the games last as long as the great N64 games (again with the exception of soul calibur).

On the topic of next generation consoles I think that X-Box will just be a PC hooked up to a TV so I'm not going to be getting that. However, having said that, the PC does have some really great games but again, having said that, I already have a PC so why would I want another. In my opinion though it will still sell by the millions because it is made by microsoft, the definition of quality. The PS2 will also sell brilliantly (and already has) but only because of the success of the original playstation. I don't think it's all it's cracked up to be. Then we come to gamecube, the JESUS of them all. I don't think it will sell the most though. In fact I probably think both PS2 and X-Box will outsell it because whenever anybody thinks of Nintendo they immediately think of kiddies games. This is a shame because I think Nintendo and Rare (who only develop for nintendo machines) provide the best and most enjoyable video games around. I know which console I'm getting. I can't wait.

At the moment however I am stuck with Dreamcast. I can't wait for Shenmue 2. Crazy Taxi 2 and Ecco the dolphin 2 will also be pretty good but these games (with the exception of Shenmue 2) will only be diversions to keep me happy while I await the greatness of Perfect Dark Zero and Rogue Squadron 2.
Fri 01/06/01 at 20:03
Regular
Could we start over? As Wookiee said, we can each appreciate our own consoles.
Fri 01/06/01 at 19:59
Regular
"MJ:Newbie Hunter!"
Hey I am back. ssxpro I have good news. My mate bought a copy of the classy Crazy Taxi and he practically had to drag me away from it. This is now one of my fave Ps2 games and worth a note as a brilliant conversio from arcade to dreamcast to Ps2. Oh and sorry you were right it is only no. 1 on thew ps2. My magazine lied to me.
Fri 01/06/01 at 19:56
Regular
Wòókiee Møn§†€R wrote:

Indrema is
> dead.

Guess I`ll have to take it off my website then :-) I didn`t even know!
Fri 01/06/01 at 11:03
"High polygon count"
MJswerve wrote:
> Is ssxpro a bit stubborn

You could say that, I suppose. Certainly one of our more vocal PS2 supporters, but he's a nice enough bloke.

I am also a PS2 owner, and once upon a time you'd have got more of a roasting from me than you have from ssxpro. Truth is, I got sick of anything to do with 'Console Wars' some time ago, so I rarely bother to respond to the messages any more. The only time I do is when I think there's something constructive to add, or to point out inaccuracies and/or lies in an anti-PS2 argument.

I've said this several times before, but I'll repeat it here to save you looking for it in the other threads:

The way I see it, I have a PS2 which I am extremely happy with, and it's no-one's business but mine. It was my money that bought it, it's me who plays the games, and it has sweet FA to do with anyone but me. It's not worth arguing about. The "best console" is the one that gives you the games *you* want to play. In your case, it's Nintendo. For me and ssxpro, it's PlayStation 2. That's all there is to it. None of us are less of a person because of what we play games on.
Fri 01/06/01 at 10:54
"High polygon count"
ssxpro wrote:
>b) What do you know of Indrema?

Indrema is dead.

http://special.reserve.co.uk /news/story.php?id=770
Fri 01/06/01 at 10:52
Regular
What have I finally got through. You made your point clearly if slightly long but I dont like to be told I am wrong. Expect to see a lot more of me though.
Fri 01/06/01 at 10:50
Regular
I didn`t even see it, sorry.
Fri 01/06/01 at 10:49
Regular
Sure Turbonutter keep prodding it sort of was like 4 on 1. I can carry on arguing if you like.
Fri 01/06/01 at 10:48
Regular
Thanks wookie monster. Advice is something I like to get. I mean I just want to sort of settle down and establish myself as e regular. Obviously I have a huge disadvantage as you all seem to know each other very well. Is ssxpro a bit stubborn as he doesn't seem to take apoligies serious. He just totally ignored one from me.
Fri 01/06/01 at 10:43
"High polygon count"
MJswerve wrote:
> The thing is I have not been here very long have I?

That doesn't stop you checking out at least somoe of the older topics to get a rough idea of what's been done.

I personally apologise to you - I may have been a little harsh earlier; after all, you are only 14.

But there are a number of other Regulars on here who are around your age, and they managed to integtrate pretty well without alienating anyone: M16 is just one example I can think of off the top of my head.

You'll find that no-one here really wishes to get nasty with anyone else - but if you push the wrong buttons, or come crashing in dissing any particular console, you *will* receive a severe prodding - as you've discovered.

You are entitled to your opinions, and everyone here will respect them, but you will get the occasional wind-up. You just need to soak it up/laugh it off and get used to it. You like one platform, other people like something else. It's not the end of the world. They're only games, and there are far more important things to worry about.

My suggestion woud be to shake hands, wipe the slate clean, and start again.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.