GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Am I going down?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 03/06/05 at 20:16
Regular
Some may remember a tale I told about a barn.

This barn, after a bit of idiocy from my close friend neal. Got burnt to the ground. In brief, my friend was working in a barn. Stacking a selection of broken chip and pin machines. It was a cold day in January and so he decided to start a fire to keep warm. Using my lighter my friend recklessly started a fire on a stack of boxes and then later, upon request, in a bin, away from danger. As the situation wore on my friend moved the bin nearer to him, which I questioned, the fire flicked from the metal bin and hit a stack of boxes. To cut a long story short, the barn burnt to the ground.

1 month later he is arrested, he tells his arresting officer that it was I that started the fire. So I was arrested. I told the truth, as stated above. 4 months down the line we are both charged with Arson.

I appear in court next week.

I am, as some will known, a Cambridge university student, with a small desire to be a teacher. This offense could see my dreams dashed and my prospects ruined. I have no idea what the minimum sentence is (be it imprisonment or community service), nor do I know EXACTLY what I did wrong.

At the moment my "close friend" still insists it was I that was responsible for the fire.

Help???
Page:
Sat 04/06/05 at 14:58
Regular
"Monochromatic"
munn wrote:
> And the damage caused totalled nearly 100k Flock, but he's in the
> magistrates court (So I guess that's kind of lucky)

They could just pass it on to the crown court, as far as i was aware magistrates only take on the smaller cases and when the facts are clear. Forensic proof of where the fire started before it caught the barn would be useful, there is no way they can prove intent and if you can prove where the fire was orginally they'd struggle to convict on recklessness, i think at worst he would get 3 months and a couple of thousand fine but as long as he sticks to the truth he should hopefully be fine.
Sat 04/06/05 at 14:42
Regular
And the damage caused totalled nearly 100k Flock, but he's in the magistrates court (So I guess that's kind of lucky)
Sat 04/06/05 at 14:40
Regular
"Arson is a complex and serious crime and carries a maximum punishment of a life sentence"

Haha Dringo mate, you're going down.

But look at it this way.

In 25 years you'll be well 'ard.

Or gay.
Sat 04/06/05 at 14:40
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Better hope the barn and damage caused was cheap

"Where the value of the damage is less than £5,000 then the case must be heard in the magistrate's court. Where the value of the damage is greater than £5,000 then the case is triable either way and can be heard either in the magistrates or Crown Court. In the magistrate's court the maximum sentence is 3 months in prison or a fine of up to £2,500 and a compensation order of up to £5,000. In the Crown Court the maximum sentence is 10 years in prison or an unlimited fine and a compensation order equivalent to the amount of the damage."

However from what i've read it's only arson if it's deliberate or reckless, i can't see you being charged with first degree arson, at the moment i can't find anything on what constitutes second or third degree.
Sat 04/06/05 at 14:07
Regular
"thursdayton!"
Happy Birthday dude.
Sat 04/06/05 at 12:57
Regular
"In Soviet Russia..."
Happy Birthday!

Don't worry too much, just go in there and speak the truth. If your friend hasn't been eaten by guilt yet, he's a lying scumbag.
Sat 04/06/05 at 12:34
Regular
Civil Court.
Sat 04/06/05 at 12:24
Regular
gamesfreak wrote:
> All I can say is Good Luck I suppose.
>
> If you convince the Jury enough, they'll probably sympathise with
> your story being genuine.

The thing is it isn't a Jury court (what's its name again?), It's a magistrates court due to the high amount of money lost.
Sat 04/06/05 at 12:23
Regular
All I can say is Good Luck I suppose.

If you convince the Jury enough, they'll probably sympathise with your story being genuine.
Sat 04/06/05 at 12:22
Regular
AliBoy wrote:

> Seems odd that you still refer to the other guy as a friend even
> though he's trying to point the blame at you.

I haven't spoken to him properly in 4 months and have told him, over MSN, I probably never will again. Of course he can redeem himself by telling the police my story is the accurate one and I had little to do with it. I can then commence helping him get off the charge.

It makes sense to me, but then I guess it would.
Page:

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.