GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Converted."

The "PC Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 15/05/05 at 14:59
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Normal is the way to go with Wow. No idiots ganking you, no "ffs, here we go again" moments.

Swap if you're on PvP. You'll not regret it.
Mon 16/05/05 at 11:42
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
The only difference between servers is that you can choose when and where to attack/be attacked.
Same amount of players, exactly the same game. And if you thrill to PvP slaughter whilst trying to solo quest in dangerous areas, simply type /pvp to enable your character. That way you can happily be ganked by groups that dont care what level you are or how far into a long, difficult quest you might be.

As Pand says, many a time I've annoyed the alliance raids on xroads by cheering and laughing. My favourite is to stand right in front of an alliance player and keep moving in front of him as he tries to line up spells/ranged attacks. You can feel the anger as alliance-man jumps about and runs off.
But my fav experience,and why I love PvE was a couple of weeks ago and it still stands as one of the best moments:

In Ratchet, just me. Fishing for oily blackmouths to make potions. The boat arrives and an assload of Alliance, all level ?? get off and start amassing. An obvious raiding party in the waiting. And there's just me, Fump The Troll to greet them.
I dance and wave, rasp and flex at the 15+ crowd who all golfclap and offer to duel me. No way, they're all lv?? to me.
I continue to point and flirt/joke as another boat arrives and another 20+ players hop off.
An enormous crowd now, and a lone troll jeering and insulting them.
I'm surrounded, they're bristling with violence and circling me yelling in Common so I can't understand.
I see a lv?? Rogue. Now my loathing of those sneaky fools means I attack them on sight.
So I do.
A lv17 Troll attacks, and enables, PvP to a lv?? Rogue.
He stands and golfclaps me for a good 2mins whilst I wail on him with a fishing pole. He kills me instantly. I return to my corpse, resurrect and promptly smack him with the fishing pole again.
The by now 35+ group of Alliance players all start cheering me and bowing as I furiously whack at the rogue making zero damage.
He stuns me and starts dancing. I start dancing too.
The Alliance all start clapping and cheering me for being dumb enough to launch an attack on a raiding party by myself with no hope of winning.
Somebody binds me with roots and they all run off to attack the crossroads, leaving me crying in Ratchet alone.

Compare that with last week's return to Dragonmaw PvP.
I start, leave Astranaar and am killed twice in 5 minutes by lv?? gangs.
Nope, PvE is the way to go if you want to quest without being massacred, but can turn PvP on if you like that sort of thing.
Mon 16/05/05 at 11:41
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Bejam wrote:
> It wasn't too bad, but I was so darn edgy
> getting to and from the quest givers and locations that I didn't
> enjoy it one tiny bit. And, as you say, if you're paying for a game
> every month you shouldn't be not enjoying it.

The guy in Forest Song? I've tried that at least 10 times. I always give up in utter frustration...
Mon 16/05/05 at 11:37
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
I was in Astranaar quite a bit over the weekend and it was getting a bit hairy every now and then, and I got killed by some Horde a few times.
I also had to go the the Eastern part of Ashenvale, near the entrance to the Barrens and I though to myself, "this is Goddamn suicide". It wasn't too bad, but I was so darn edgy getting to and from the quest givers and locations that I didn't enjoy it one tiny bit. And, as you say, if you're paying for a game every month you shouldn't be not enjoying it.
Mon 16/05/05 at 11:35
Regular
There is too much wrong with PVP for them to sort out and I suspect they will probably come back with "put up or shut up".

You are relying on the gamers to not act like complete pole who*es when it comes to PVP and sadly there is always some acne ridden t*at who will come along and spoilthe party.

1 vs 1 PVP of a similar level is part of the game I suppose, when you get groups of ?? running around ganking everyone, it just becomes crazy.

Suspect they won't bother trying to level it out though, too many "grey" areas.
Mon 16/05/05 at 11:32
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Bejam wrote:
> Still, at least the game will hopefully be more enjoyable if I move
> and save myself lots of pain when trying to quest in the wrong places
> in the future.

I was starting to get to those places. Astrannar seemed to be, try, horde, back off, "Hell, they're coming", die, res, "oh, they've seen me again" repeat to fade. If that was the way the game was going, I'm glad I changed servers. When you're gettting frustrated by a game that you pay a sub to, it's a bad state of affairs. Now I don't get frustrated (well, apart from 3 snapjaws and a skinking centaur with a pack of dogs on me)
Mon 16/05/05 at 11:31
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
I'm converted :D
Mon 16/05/05 at 11:28
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
And I found an awesome new sword yesterday which I'll have to leave behind :(

Still, at least the game will hopefully be more enjoyable if I move and save myself lots of pain when trying to quest in the wrong places in the future.
Mon 16/05/05 at 11:28
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Bejam wrote:
> So would PvE be a better option for a mostly lone quester who wants
> to enjoy the game without playing with an edgy fear that around any
> corner or further up any path, a big gang of raiding foes will kill
> you?
>
> It seems a shame to start all over again, but thinking about the long
> term, PvE sounds better for a lone quester who doesn't want to get
> killed by a load of 13 year old Germans.

A huge and resounding "yes."

I like PvP, I like the danger associated with it. I was of the impression that a normal PvE server would be like playing a castrated version of the game. The only frustration I have experienced is in NPC mobs. There was a massive raid on the xroads (as per usual) last night. 40+ aliiance. I spent the entire battle dancing and cheering the horde kills. A lvl 20 (I'm lvl 14) Night elf stared making rude gestures at me. I relaliated the same. He continued to follow me around "Np, I thought. I'm not getting ganked by a lvl 20"

Until he spat on me. It was all well natured until then. I attacked, nailed him then got killed myself. I then kept my nose clean for 5 minutes before the Pvp flag turned off. The night elf say me and tried to to exactly the same, only he had a lvl ?? warrior in tow. I just /flex and /roar letting him know who the victor was. Cue and increasingly frustrated night elf and a Tauren hunter laughing and flexing.

Marvelous. You could almost see the utter frustration in his actions.

Oh, plenty times I've met Alliance and we do the old "/bow /cheer" actions in a nice respectable way, before going on our seperate ways.

It's just a nice way to play again, and since I don't get a great deal of time during the week, I'd rather not spend 2/3rds of that being ganked and wanderering back to my corpse.

I had a char for 2 months on Dragonmaw. Lvl 33. I didn't get around to deleting it, but I will when I can be bothered.

Phew. Rambling? me?
Mon 16/05/05 at 11:26
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
It seems a lot of disgruntled gamers are wishing to migrate their characters from PvP to PvE servers, but who knows if Blizzard will listen?
Mon 16/05/05 at 11:24
Regular
The only trouble is, I usually nail Horde on sight because they usually attack you first and so the circle continues. Left a level 32 Horde who ran past me yesterday, 5 minutes later he came back with a level 38 Horde and proceeded to act like a complete ass crack as they quite easily destroyed me.

If I wasn't so far in and didn't enjoy raids so much I would probably switch. The annoyance of PVP can be over looked though when you see level 40 Horde riding into the slaughter chamber that is Astranaar.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.