GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"A question about good table manners"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 07/05/05 at 20:43
Regular
"0228"
Hopefully some of you will be able to settle this dispute.

So, my parents and I are sitting at the table eating dinner, I finish mine and then my mum says that if I want to I can leave the table and wash my plate. I get up to do so but then my dad makes one of those annoying forced coughs.

I say 'What?' and he replies by saying that I have poor table manners. This confused me so I asked why and then he said that I should ask to be excused before leaving. However, I responded by saying that there is no need to ask to be excused if you've already been told you can leave. He says I'm wrong. I ask him to explain why I need to do so and then he simply sighs and says 'Yes, you're right you're always right aren't you?' in an extremely sarcastic tone. I tell him that he's replying like this because he doesn't have a reason and then he just continues being sarcastic, causing me to just leave anyway.

The way I see it, why would anybody be expected to ask to leave the table once they've been already told to do so? It seems ignorant to ask a question that you've just been given the answer to and not only that but I think it makes you come across as a bit retarded. So who's right, me, my parents, or does nobody know? And if I'm wrong, then surely that rule should be changed, it makes no sense.
Sat 07/05/05 at 21:12
Regular
"0228"
Geffdof wrote:
> Your family sounds so much fun.

Oh, it is. Every meal goes something like this:

My mum brings out some food usually a really odd mix that will taste like crap, today for eaxample was pasta, bolognaise sauce, broccolli, and carrots. Everybody complains and then she says 'I don't know why I bother cooking for this family' and then I say 'No, nor do I' and then I just get told to shut up and eat.

My little brother will then more than likely attack me, I'll attack him, we'll get shouted at. Then, being a fussy eater, I will normally take far longer than everybody else so will end up giving my brother 'the vaccuum cleaner' most of my food.

Conversation will consist of my parents moaning about something or other and my mum giving us some random statistics she's read in the Daily Mail. I will usually either just keep out of it or laugh as my brothers make odd sounds.

My dad will then burp, I will make a big thing out of him not saying pardon me, he will then deny burping and my mum will defend him. I get annoyed and then get blamed for ruining the meal.

Then something like what I described in the original post will happen. Life is good.
Sat 07/05/05 at 21:11
Regular
"lets go back"
I'm only nice in other peoples houses. There's no point at home. I just sit on the sofa and watch the simpsons while eating my tea.
Sat 07/05/05 at 21:06
Regular
"Get It?Got It?Good!"
Thats true, you dont need rules in your own home, you just need to know them for if you go out for a meal or if you go round your girlfriends house and meet her parents or something
Sat 07/05/05 at 21:04
Regular
"bot"
what I want to know is why anyone actually cared?

If I got up and walked away from the table without saying anything nobody would give a crap. What's the point in following stupid formal rules in your own home?
Sat 07/05/05 at 21:03
Regular
"Incomprehendible"
Geffdof wrote:
> official table excusing powers

:-D
Sat 07/05/05 at 21:02
Regular
"Get It?Got It?Good!"
Hahahahahaha table manners, what are those?

We dont have a table, we just sit on the sofa in the front room watching tele with cushions on our lap.

Who needs a table?

The table comes out like once a year and thats at Christmas.
Sat 07/05/05 at 21:02
Regular
"lets go back"
JFH wrote:
> Anyway, I've done a bit of research on other
> various table manners which I'll have fun catching them out on
> tomorrow.

Your family sounds so much fun.
Sat 07/05/05 at 21:00
Regular
"lets go back"
Just thought of something. Do you have to be excused by the head of the table? I know its a bit sexist, but maybe your dad is the only one who has official table excusing powers and you are supposed to ask him.
Sat 07/05/05 at 20:59
Regular
"0228"
To be honest we have this same arguement at least once a week, it's become tradition. Always ends up with me being told to sod off and to stop being a smart ar$e. Anyway, I've done a bit of research on other various table manners which I'll have fun catching them out on tomorrow.
Sat 07/05/05 at 20:57
Regular
"lets go back"
Well, your dad is right. You should be excused before leaving the table. Seen as you were excused, however, makes him a cloth eared idiot.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.