GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why Nintendo just aren't good enough"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 26/04/05 at 08:59
Regular
It always bothers me. I mean sure GTA and MGS are quality games as are Halo and Knights of the Old Republic. But Nintendo's roster of system shifting genius has that little bit more. Mario, Kart, Zelda, Pikmin and Metroid are epic titles, games that are made to near perfection and, at least in my opinion wipe the floor with the competiton.

So why is the battle so harshly swung in the direction of Nintendo's bigger and blacker rivals?

The in-between games.

You know what I mean, the big third party titles or in the case of Nintendo, the smaller Nintendo ones. It must be great to be a PS2 owner, sure your games of pure genius are few and far between but titles like Silent Hill, Devil May Cry, Final Fantasy, Jax, Burnout 3, The Suffering (etc... etc...) come out all the time. These are all fantastic "in-between" games, the games that you play in-between up coming classics. The reason why Sony's and to a lesser extent Microsoft's are so much better is due to their relations with Third Parties. A top quality Nintendo title can surpass anything any third parties can offer. Yet a top quality third party title, one that had taken years to master, is far superior to one of Nintendo's lesser offerings.

Mario Golf, Kirby's Air Ride, Mario Tennis, Jungle Beat, Four Swords, Paper Mario, Starfox etc... Some are quality titles, Jungle Beat and Paper Mario in particular. But they are variations of what we've already seen, Four Swords is a slightly different Zelda game simplified. Paper Mario, Mario Tennis and Mario Golf are, well, Mario games. Different Mario games, but also somewhat similar.

Sony's collection of platformers, realistic racers, non-realistic racers, cartoon games, violent games, horror games, RPG's and so forth are these in-between games and the quality is just as good (and at times better) but with an increased variety.

When I was playing Second Sight last year I thought it was amazing, as I did with Beyond Good and Evil, Prince of Persia, XIII and Timesplitters. These are all titles that Sony are, well, used to. Whilst a Nintendo fan such as myself feel privaliged to play them.

On the flip side there are a lot of naff games in this list but there are a few quality little gems too. And what makes me increasingly frustarted is that these games COULD be on the Gamecube.

All it takes is a little encouragement from the Big N. But Nintendo need to do more than that. They need to cut out their "in-between games". Mario Golf and Mario Tennis are okay, and certain titles like Jungle Beat and Donkey Konga can be useful. But is there ANY need for Doshin the Giant? Kirby's Air Ride? Pokemon Channel? Wario Ware? Wario World? Zelda Four Swords? Starfox Armada? It is only by doing this that Nintendo fans would be forced to playing some third party games, rather than sticking with Nintendo each and every time.

Nintendo had a bright idea to cut ties with their second parties. The idea was to encourage developers to make games for their system instead of relying on special exclusive companies. It simply has not worked. Because there are still tonnes of these silly little Nintendo titles that well, just aren't worth it!

I want to stick by Nintendo, I do, but I am losing faith. Nintendo make some of the best games in the world but they cannot do this all year round. To survive Nintendo need to start getting these third parties to make some of their best games in the world.

Sony fans do not have to wait long for the next big release, this is why PS2 sales are so high, because quality games come out so frequently on it. Whilst us Nintendo freaks, will have to wait for Pokemon XD and The Legend of Zelda to finally get some quality.

On the flip side at least this quality is true, unspeakable quality (probably).

But this is what worries me. Nintendo's talk of "simplifying gaming"? For a while I was terrified that it meant the complex but enjoyable Mario Platformers, the stunning Zelda's and the addictive Pikmin's were at an end. And that Nintendo will release a consistant supply of "in-between games". I can see their point, we can't make games all year round by making loads of complex epics. How about we stop making these complex epics and just release a series of good fun games all year round. Simple games that everyone can play.

But what Nintendo fail to realise is that, with the possible exception of Donkey Konga (which is probably where Nintendo have been given their justification to do this), is that these games do not shift consoles. It is the big FUN games that do it, notice how their sales doubled in March thanks to the constantly sold out Resident Evil 4? Notice how Nintendo are living off the success of Mario Kart even today?

Big and clever Nintendo games are big and they are clever. Nintendo just NEED to push them. I mean come on! Why the hell was Metroid Prime 2: Echoes and Pikmin 2 advertised and pushed so limited whereas a decent but quickly boring party game like Donkey Konga was pushed as if the next big thing?

Where were the posters, the flyers, the round the country "buy me" events? These 2 games sold terribly, Metroid Prime 2 did alright over time but Pikmin 2 sold roughly half of the original. Which is a shame because Pikmin 2 is about 100 times better than Pikmin.

ARGH just does not do it justice. I can see why Nintendo would want to push new gams but both Pikmin 2 and Metroid Prime 2 ACTUALLY stood a chance against Halo and GTA. It could have been a closer fight than the steamrolled effect which is what we got. Nintendo are reeling from the effects today. Thankfully with Zelda and Pokemon due this Christmas Sony will need something special to counteract it. Microsoft are releasing a new console, which may dent Nintendo's plans somewhat.

I know this has become a rant but I don't care.

Despite my fear that Nintendo were moving towards "simple games", George Harrison recently said this:

"But in addition to expanding upon the genres and experiences that players already know and love, Nintendo is pushing to take games into new directions. Products such as Nintendogs and Electroplankton for Nintendo DS are original enough to not only excite the hardcore audience but to intrigue people who don't traditionally play games. As video games take their place as a primary entertainment option for all ages, both genders and every conceivable taste, Nintendo wants to be the leaders in sales and innovation. So don't worry -- as we expand our product line-up to match the expanding industry, we'll also continue to push the envelope to bring hardcore fans even bigger Nintendo adventures. And hopefully, a number of adventures they could have never imagined before they saw it play on a Nintendo system."

Sounds a little better to me.

And Electroplankton looks quality. As does Nintendogs.

So maybe I'm moaning about nothing.

We'll see.
Fri 29/04/05 at 21:03
Regular
"The definitive tag"
Cweek wrote:
> And some sort of written apology for ruining wind waker.

Ruining? The Wind Waker remains the best game on the GC to date. I don't even feel that Resident Evil 4 has surpassed it. It can only and will only be topped by another Zelda.
Fri 29/04/05 at 18:33
Regular
Cweek wrote:
> And some sort of written apology for ruining wind waker.

Wind Waker was wonderful.

It wasn't as perfect as Ocarina but it was a damn sure sight better than 95% of the games of this generation. Just a shame it was a bit easy and the end seemed a bit rushed, other than that though I loved every minute of it.
Fri 29/04/05 at 18:28
Regular
"The definitive tag"
N64 Fan wrote:
>People HAVE given up on them.

I haven't give up on them and I won't until the day they stop doing what they do.

With the new Zelda on the way, I couldn't give a rat's a** what else is being released for it.
Fri 29/04/05 at 18:23
Regular
"-_-"
how dare you say theres no need for warioware!

*runs off crying*
Fri 29/04/05 at 17:13
Regular
Plus a wheelchair for the cat my gamecube fell onto.
Fri 29/04/05 at 17:09
Regular
"In Soviet Russia..."
And some sort of written apology for ruining wind waker.
Fri 29/04/05 at 16:52
Regular
All I want from Nintendo is my money back.
Fri 29/04/05 at 14:11
"period drama"
The Cube line-up isn't as amazing as it was last year.
But we're finishing up with Zelda, which kind of puts an "I don't care" next to every game released ever.

And DS stuff. I'd like some proper games now, please.
Mario Kart and Wi-Fi now.
Fri 29/04/05 at 14:06
Regular
How Nintendo intend on keeping Cube going until Revolution comes out I can't imagine, just take a look at the release dates for the next couple of months, if I was a Cube owner I'd be slightly gutted by this....

[URL] http://insider.ign.com/articles/608/608047p7.html [/URL]
Fri 29/04/05 at 10:50
Regular
"'ahh a nice sweety!"
TaMi-Jr wrote:
> yes nintendo needs to sort out this third party prob or they RIP after
> revolution.

They are RIP'ing now! Just look at your 'Cube' shelf in GAME! If thats not RIP'ing then what is?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.