GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Sony stand no chance..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 09/11/04 at 22:52
Regular
"It's like someone developing their own opperating system and challenging windows".

You go Microsoft.
Fri 12/11/04 at 21:33
Regular
Marcini wrote:

> Dont you get it? Sony didnt do it to spite Nintendo, they did it to
> make some money and to introduce themselves into the handheld world.
> Microsoft wont mess with Nintendo in the handheld market? I bet they
> are brewing ideas right now for a handheld device of their own.

By challenging the Gameboy and defeating it Sony can completely eradicate Nintendo from the market and have a nice new third party publisher.

How I'd love it if that plan backfired and they stuck exclusive content on Microsoft's machine.
Fri 12/11/04 at 00:49
Regular
Actually, I think they're more happy to make money out of selling games for current ones.

I think the barely see Nintendo as a competitor, as the style of Nintendo and MS' offering that neither system offer everything.
I know that most Nintendo gamers here either have an Xbox, or sort of eye one for games like Fable, Halo and Conker...
Fri 12/11/04 at 00:08
Regular
"Bow to me!"
Lipe wrote:
> Ooooh, that's a good one. See, Microsoft know not to mess with
> Nintendo in the handheld market.

Dont you get it? Sony didnt do it to spite Nintendo, they did it to make some money and to introduce themselves into the handheld world. Microsoft wont mess with Nintendo in the handheld market? I bet they are brewing ideas right now for a handheld device of their own.
Thu 11/11/04 at 21:46
Regular
Would you get a PSP? How cool will they look down the pub.

Please.
Thu 11/11/04 at 21:43
Regular
Strafio wrote:
> Perhaps that's what Sony are planning to change.
> After all, that was their EXACT plan with the Playstation.

Yeah but the Playstation was like an improved SNES and it came out before the N64. This time the DS is coming out before the PSP and it's probably better than the PSP.
Thu 11/11/04 at 21:40
Regular
Perhaps that's what Sony are planning to change.
After all, that was their EXACT plan with the Playstation.

But I guess the major difference is that the Playstation audience were already accustomed to devices that plugged into the TV. As to portable devices, sure they all have mobiles but that's more of an "always on" sort of thing with long last batteries.

Neither the PSP or the DS can be used like a mobile phone.
Thu 11/11/04 at 21:37
Regular
Ooooh, that's a good one. See, Microsoft know not to mess with Nintendo in the handheld market.
Thu 11/11/04 at 19:42
Regular
8-10... or was it 10-12....

I dunno one of the two.

As for the PSP being research? If Sony asked the question "how many adult gamers play handheld games" then they'd get a shock.
Thu 11/11/04 at 18:44
Regular
"Bow to me!"
I think I already answered that question. I think that Sony will know what they are doing as they will have spent a lot of money researching the project. They obviously know that they will lose to the DS on this occasion so why are they still doing it? Certainly not because they want to take on the DS and beat the sales figures because they know they wont. Its because Sony will make a lot money from the PSP, even though they wont make as much as Nintendo, they will still make a significant ammount.

On a lighter note, how long do the DS batteries last?
Thu 11/11/04 at 16:56
Regular
Morbo wrote:
> Only one thing to criticize there is the comment about the low battery
> life, which is untrue. It has an 8-hour gaming battery life, which is
> pretty good, in my opinion.

No 4-8... which means 8 when the games are crap but for the likes of MGS we are looking at 4.

The PSP is taking a loss to release it at a low price. It needs to truly surpass the DS in order to make money. And if Sony struggle they'll then have to start making the PSP2 in order to counter-act the GBA 2... a system Nintendo are ALREADY working on.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.