GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Getting the PS2 online"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 09/11/04 at 23:23
"High polygon count"
Okay, first off... to keep this thread clean and easy to follow, PLEASE only post a reply if you have anything informative, constructive or otherwise useful to add.

Right...

Having just bought a new slimline PStwo with built-in network adapter, I may be tempted to try some online gaming, and I basically want to know if and how I can get it connected myself, without having to go through NTL with their 'Broadband + Console' package, as detailed on their website. ([URL]http://www.ntlworld.com/ps2[/URL].)

I have an NTL 750k broadband connection. Between the cable modem and the PC, I have the Actiontec wireless cable router, which provides access for a second PC through the same connection. My PC is hard-wired via Ethernet cable, and there is a spare USB connection on the router.

So... what would I need to do to get my PS2 online?

Info and advice from those 'in the know' greatly appreciated.
Tue 09/11/04 at 23:23
"High polygon count"
Okay, first off... to keep this thread clean and easy to follow, PLEASE only post a reply if you have anything informative, constructive or otherwise useful to add.

Right...

Having just bought a new slimline PStwo with built-in network adapter, I may be tempted to try some online gaming, and I basically want to know if and how I can get it connected myself, without having to go through NTL with their 'Broadband + Console' package, as detailed on their website. ([URL]http://www.ntlworld.com/ps2[/URL].)

I have an NTL 750k broadband connection. Between the cable modem and the PC, I have the Actiontec wireless cable router, which provides access for a second PC through the same connection. My PC is hard-wired via Ethernet cable, and there is a spare USB connection on the router.

So... what would I need to do to get my PS2 online?

Info and advice from those 'in the know' greatly appreciated.
Tue 09/11/04 at 23:30
Regular
My memory may be a little bit fussy but I remember reading a while back in the xbox forum (probaby the Live! faq) that to get around the extra fee you should get a router.

Hope I've at least pointed you in the right direction.
Wed 10/11/04 at 00:52
Regular
"Bow to me!"
Well since its the PS2 its not going to be the same anyway...

Its free to get PS2 online. I havent dont it myself but I prosume its mostly setup using online games after you have done something with your ISP. Have a look on the NTL site. There will be info on doing it specifically for NTL I prosume.
Wed 10/11/04 at 00:57
Regular
"Silence Is Silver!!"
well I know for a fact that you don't need that gaming pack at all. But for the life of me I can't remember how I did it for my xbox. Easiest way would be direct connection. Back home I have a wireless/wired router so its all good.
Wed 10/11/04 at 01:08
Regular
"gsybe you!"
On the Xbox, I have this set up.

Broadband line (direct) ----> router/modem --> PC
--> Xbox (Ethernet)

Seems to be pretty common, and I'm guessing the PS2 is pretty much the same.

EDIT; The PC is not ---> Xbox, but parallel.
Wed 10/11/04 at 03:11
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
[URL]http://uk.playstation.com/networkgaming/guides.jhtml[/URL]
Wed 10/11/04 at 08:09
Regular
If you already have a router, just plug the PS2 into that, via Ethernet, slap in a network game and set it up. It shouldn't be any simpler than that, although I haven't set my PSTwo up for net yet. It worked with the old PS2 though.

Also, the local IP that your PSTwo uses (192.168.0.x), make that the DMZ port. This allows full in/out access for the console, giving you full voice capability and stuff (well, it does with the Xbox).
Wed 10/11/04 at 08:57
Regular
Setting it up is really quite easy. Just plug the PS2 adaptor into the router and you're away, methinks.
Wed 10/11/04 at 11:02
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
And make sure you register as then you will receive a free copy of Hardware in the post (got mine this morning)
Wed 10/11/04 at 11:05
Regular
Darwock wrote:
> And make sure you register as then you will receive a free copy of
> Hardware in the post (got mine this morning)

???

Ooh, I'm registering then. I used to love that game - cost me £19.99 too!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.