GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"New connection speeds?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 16/10/09 at 19:01
Regular
"I like turtles"
My old Freeola connection was always pretty fast but became unstable at times and would constantly drop.After investigating the problem Freeola said that BT had checked my connection and said it was due to me having too many things connected to at at any one time.I thought this a bit wierd as it would also drop when nothing was connected to it ?.Anyway,I recently moved house and only moved around quarter of a mile so I am still connected to the same exchange and I have connected exactly the same equipment using the same cables,filters etc.Now my connection is rock solid (have tried everything to try and make it drop but it wont !),problem is it is now really slow.I used to average between 4 - 6.5 MB's on my old connection,now I'm struggling to get over 2 MB's.The new connection has only been live for a few days,maybe it will improve once it has settled ?,if it does not does anyone have any ideas why this should be the case.

Recent BT Speedtest Results :

Download speedachieved during the test was - 2076 Kbps

For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.

Additional Information:

Your DSL Connection Rate :2592 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)

IP Profile for your line is - 6500 Kbps
Sat 17/10/09 at 14:46
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Hmmm... wrote:
> Then there's your home's internal wiring - unless both
> connections were plugged directly into the Master Socket with
> neither house having internal extensions, then again things are
> different and there can be massive differences.

What 'differences' would be noticeable with internal extensions?

My house has two internal extensions and speedtests recently have shown an excellent line and speed in my view. You have seen some of the recent test results.
Sat 17/10/09 at 09:39
"Are you sure?"
Hi pete_21,
As you are aware there are some speed issues at the moment - see other posts, so you may just be seeing that.

But it your speed tests never improve and your IP Profile stays as good as it is then you may have what's called a stuck radius profile (where BT's profile changes haven't registered on Freeola's systems). Freeola can check this for you and fix immediately if it is that - so it's worth getting that checked.
But if you sometimes get higher speeds it won't be that.

Remember when you moved house 'lots' of things did change! You may be using the same BT exchange and router etc. but some of the most important bits of the connection are different.
The actual phone line between you can the exchange is different - this is the most important bit. One dodgy connection and you're stuffed. Even next door neighbours can have totally different line characteristics.

Then there's your home's internal wiring - unless both connections were plugged directly into the Master Socket with neither house having internal extensions, then again things are different and there can be massive differences. That's why Freeola (and all ISPs) always ask people to use the TEST socket within the Master Socket if they've got one.

But looking at your line stats it all looks pretty good to me - so you're either suffering from the general speed problems at the moment or have a stuck radius profile.

Hope that helps - remember this is just my opinion from the details I've seen :¬)
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Sat 17/10/09 at 08:26
Regular
"I like turtles"
Thanks for the response DL,very helpful and appreciated.

Your connection seems more like the kind of speeds I was getting from my old connection (which if I bought a long enough extension could probably still use !).Found a test result from my old connection taken from my thread about my old Freeola connection dropping problem thread and as you can see there is a massive difference in speeds.

Your DSL connection rate: 7616 kbps(DOWN-STREAM),

448 kbps(UP-STREAM)

IP profile for your line is - 6500 kbps

Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 4844 kbps

Just done another speedtest on my new connection using a different testing method but getting same results as the BT one : Here

So it seems I have gone from a fast but fragile connection and the excuse I was given for it was that I had too many things connected to it at any one time (which has now mysteriously repaired itself on my new connection,leading me to think the reason I was given was probably not correct) to a slow but steady one even though I have not changed anything at all at my end (ISP,equipment,cables,filters) and only moved round the corner from where I was before.Like I said earlier I am finding this a little bit wierd TBH but the connection is still new.Have to see what happens after it settles down in a week or so ?.
Fri 16/10/09 at 21:28
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Not an expert in these matters Pete, I leave that to Hmmm:-) But these are the results of a recent BT Speedtest for my connection, also through Freeola but via the Birmingham node:

Download speedachieved during the test was - 6611 Kbps
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :8128 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 7150 Kbps

Compare yours and mine, and it makes interesting reading:-)
Fri 16/10/09 at 19:01
Regular
"I like turtles"
My old Freeola connection was always pretty fast but became unstable at times and would constantly drop.After investigating the problem Freeola said that BT had checked my connection and said it was due to me having too many things connected to at at any one time.I thought this a bit wierd as it would also drop when nothing was connected to it ?.Anyway,I recently moved house and only moved around quarter of a mile so I am still connected to the same exchange and I have connected exactly the same equipment using the same cables,filters etc.Now my connection is rock solid (have tried everything to try and make it drop but it wont !),problem is it is now really slow.I used to average between 4 - 6.5 MB's on my old connection,now I'm struggling to get over 2 MB's.The new connection has only been live for a few days,maybe it will improve once it has settled ?,if it does not does anyone have any ideas why this should be the case.

Recent BT Speedtest Results :

Download speedachieved during the test was - 2076 Kbps

Additional Information:

Your DSL Connection Rate :2592 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)

IP Profile for your line is - 6500 Kbps

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.