GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"New connection speeds?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 16/10/09 at 19:01
Regular
"I like turtles"
My old Freeola connection was always pretty fast but became unstable at times and would constantly drop.After investigating the problem Freeola said that BT had checked my connection and said it was due to me having too many things connected to at at any one time.I thought this a bit wierd as it would also drop when nothing was connected to it ?.Anyway,I recently moved house and only moved around quarter of a mile so I am still connected to the same exchange and I have connected exactly the same equipment using the same cables,filters etc.Now my connection is rock solid (have tried everything to try and make it drop but it wont !),problem is it is now really slow.I used to average between 4 - 6.5 MB's on my old connection,now I'm struggling to get over 2 MB's.The new connection has only been live for a few days,maybe it will improve once it has settled ?,if it does not does anyone have any ideas why this should be the case.

Recent BT Speedtest Results :

Download speedachieved during the test was - 2076 Kbps

For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.

Additional Information:

Your DSL Connection Rate :2592 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)

IP Profile for your line is - 6500 Kbps
Mon 19/10/09 at 07:40
Regular
"I like turtles"
Thanks for the comments guys.

Now I have seen some decent speeds I am quite happy.I was aware speeds on new connections do fluctuate (which is now exactly what is happening) but initially mine only had 2 speeds (slow and slower).New connection is still rock solid (hasn't dropped once) so I'm quite optimistic.

Thanks again everyone.
Sun 18/10/09 at 10:43
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
As your connection is not out of the beginning stages and testing I would fully expect to see these kind of results. And it seems even if it was not the stabilisation period, it was basically what Hmmm.... advised.

You needed to wait for the IP profile to change which can take around 3 days more often than not.
Sun 18/10/09 at 10:42
"Are you sure?"
Glad to see things are looking up for you :¬)

NB. If you restart your router during daylight hours you should get your 6500kbps profile back as you only need to connect around 100kbps faster to get into the next bracket - IP Profile table at the bottom this page.

You sync higher during daylight hours as interference is lower - all due to AM radio and the ionosphere(!) along with less electrical kit in use.

Worth doing as you will get another 500kbps throughput - that's what most people started their broadband lives with so it's nice to have.
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Sun 18/10/09 at 09:04
Regular
"I like turtles"
Thanks for that DL.

My connection is flying this morning.A huge and very noticeable difference.Speed has nearly quadrupled since yesterday ?.

Here are the results :

Download speedachieved during the test was - 5517 Kbps

Additional Information:

Your DSL Connection Rate :7296 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)

IP Profile for your line is - 6000 Kbps

And same result from Speedtest

Haven't experienced anything like this kind of speed on my new connection before.My connection is still rock solid (hasn't dropped once).If it settles at anything like that I'll be well happy.Have to wait and see.
Sat 17/10/09 at 23:53
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
pete_21 wrote:
> Just done BT speedtest again and the result is pants :(
>
> Download speedachieved during the test was - 1552 Kbps
>
> For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150
> Kbps.
>
> Additional Information:
>
> Your DSL Connection Rate :7296 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448
> Kbps(UP-STREAM)
>
> IP Profile for your line is - 6000 Kbps

Your SpeedTest.net result earlier seemed to suggest that your connection may use the Birmingham node, however, just for comparison I have just used SpeedTest.net and got the following result:

SpeedTest

This 'test' has used a server in Coventry....maybe you shouldn't read too much into the differing 'speeds' displayed by different tests.

At the same time I ran a BT SpeedTest and received the following results - the lowest of the week as it happens:

23.29 17/10/09

Download speedachieved during the test was - 3894 Kbps
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :8128 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 7150 Kbps

All be it a quicker speed than the one you quoted, but I don't have a problem with this speed at the moment but I can understand your frustration :-)
Sat 17/10/09 at 22:27
Regular
"I like turtles"
Just done BT speedtest again and the result is pants :(

Download speedachieved during the test was - 1552 Kbps

Additional Information:

IP Profile for your line is - 6000 Kbps

Asked a couple of my new neighbours to run speedtests and they are both getting around treble the speed I am ? :S
Sat 17/10/09 at 21:28
Regular
"I like turtles"
Can't do BT speedtest at the moment as it hasn't been 3 hours but my connection is noticeably slower than ever now.Just tested it over on speedtest.net and its showing just over 1.5 MB's,haven't had a connection that slow since my Tiscali days ? :S
Sat 17/10/09 at 19:09
Regular
"I like turtles"
Thanks for your kind help Hmmm,very much appreciated.I have unplugged my router for around 30 minutes and then rebooted it.Here are the results of my test following the reboot :

Download speedachieved during the test was - 2604 Kbps

Additional Information:

IP Profile for your line is - 6500 Kbps

A definite improvement on what I was getting before.I will leave it for a few days now and see how it settles.

Thanks again.
Sat 17/10/09 at 15:34
"Are you sure?"
pete_21 wrote:
> Your DSL Connection Rate :2592 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448
> Kbps(UP-STREAM)
> IP Profile for your line is - 6500 Kbps

Just read pete_21's post again!
Before I noticed the nice 6500 IP Profile, BUT I've only just seen the 2592 connection speed (sync).

That's why your speed is down. You must have just caught BT's systems in between changing profile when you performed your test or something strange has happened. But your sync has obviously dropped.

If your router is still only sync'd at 2592 then I would restart it, then re-check the sync speed.

If this has gone up then your IP Profile will recover - can take 'up to' 5 days.
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Sat 17/10/09 at 15:15
"Are you sure?"
Dragonlance wrote:
> What 'differences' would be noticeable with internal
> extensions?

Hi Dragonlance,
If your line is performing well then that's great - not everyone will have problems due to their internal wiring. But lots of people do!

Internal wiring can cause radio interference (noise) - mostly caused by the 'ring wire'. If you are close to your exchange and already get maximum sync (8128 on standard ADSL) then you don't have any issues - unless your line is still suffering due to high levels of errors.

The very best connection you can achieve is when plugged directly into the TEST socket.

If you look at the 'connection speed' (also known as sync speed) using the test socket and compare it to what you get in your house extensions you will see if you have any thing to gain. Don't look at the actual 'throughput' as this won't change immediately due to BT's profiling system.

If the sync is different then you know you can improve things by removing the ring wire or installing a BT iPlate or use a filtered faceplate Understanding Broadband
[s]Hmmm...[/s]

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.