GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"It's Nothing Special"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 11/11/04 at 21:06
Regular
Didn't get my copy today, but I've been out 'til 7 playing on my friend's copied version, which is humourously in French.

After having a go on the 'Delta Halo' stage and playing on 'Coagulation' in multiplayer, I have to admit Halo 2 is nothing amazing.

Although there are loads of neat touches, like new guns, new vehciles and jumping onto vehicles, the whole package seemed pretty average. It felt just like any other FPS, and didn't feel special in any way. Plus the mission I was on was incredibly long-winded and although at the start it was pretty fun, after a while it got irritating.

And in multiplayer there was nothing astounding either. The stage Coagulation I felt was way too big to house four players, and there was very little one-on-one action as everyone was making a dash for the vehicles. It was fun, but bots would have made it a whole lot better.

So overall a pretty good game, but nothing 'groundbreaking'. As I've said many times before, it's a simple well-worked FPS. Some of the ideas work (Kicking people out of vehicles), some don't (Dual weilding) and some they shouldn't have changed (Pistol > Magnum).

Hopefully my copy will come tomorrow so that I can play System Link for my birthday bash.
Fri 12/11/04 at 12:39
Regular
"gsybe you!"
You're an absoloute idiot. Dual-wielding is easy, cool and very, very balanced - it's a fantas**tic feature.

Coagulation is of course sh*t. For 4 people. You idiots, playing a genius 16 player map with 4 people...........?! And then saying 'it's bad' because of this? Put it on swords on Lockout, and have the bes**t multiplayer game of your life.

My impressions of the game, no point making a new topic.......(spoilers)

I never thought I'd defend a Halo game, but I will. 1) The multiplayer is absoloute freakin' brilliance. Sheer, sheer bliss. Right, no more to be said of that. 2) What repetition? Yes, there are places that look the same, of course there are, any level in an FPS has a common theme - but it's NOTHING like the levels from the firs**t game, which were practically the same two wall tiles repeated. It's nothing like that at all. The levels are large and for the main part quite open. I have to say at times it's not the greateset thing ever, but it's hardly poor. 3) The s**troy is intriguing (so far) - I really like the Covenant/Human double approach, and this also allows really cool glimpses into a far far larger and more intricate s**tory. 4) What I don't like is the objectives - another game did this, yet I cannot remember its name. Basically, it gives you LOADS of objectives without telling you. It doesn't mean you get los**t of accidentally miss them, but it does mean that you look at them and get confused, before doing them anyway.....I also dislike the seeming mega-emphasis on vehicular combat in the SP, but it's s**till great fun.

Still, the single player is pretty damn good, and although it's nothing revolutionary or special, it's a solid and fun campaign and definitly worthy of exploration. The s**tory is interes**ting - but I'm holding out until I finish the game until I make my final judgement. Multiplayer is jus**t genius. Spent all of yes**terday on it.
Fri 12/11/04 at 12:26
Duel wielding is excellent. Dont know why you think its cack. Just get the right guns together and it works. Although you still cant go wrong with grenades, sticking them on people is great when you get a medal for it!

So far the single player has been really good and seems a lot harder than Halo, even on normal! I'm on level 12 i think, when you run into that room and cortana says "you should sit this one out" but you get killed anyway. Frustrating...
Fri 12/11/04 at 05:46
Regular
A couple of seconds ago me and my brother just completed it. The ending was very 'meh' :P oh well
Fri 12/11/04 at 02:44
I see what the reviews mean by being disappointed with the single player, though.
Fri 12/11/04 at 02:24
Ending was totally gutting and unexpected.
Fri 12/11/04 at 01:45
"I love yo... lamp."
Mav wrote:
> I'm not particularly impressed with it.
>
> Live play is tremendous fun but, let's face it, aside from some
> well-made cut-scenes, the first level was appalling.

Actually I loved it, but each to their own.
Thu 11/11/04 at 23:40
Regular
1st level was okay.

2nd and 3rd though are truely godly and this is coming from someone who never really liked Halo.

Oh and dual-wielding works best in multiplayer, online it's a god send. I can understand why you'd have a problem with 4 player split screen though, the levels really aren't designed for that few people.
Thu 11/11/04 at 22:58
Regular
I'm not particularly impressed with it.

Live play is tremendous fun but, let's face it, aside from some well-made cut-scenes, the first level was appalling.
Thu 11/11/04 at 22:30
Regular
I would kick you all.
Thu 11/11/04 at 22:27
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
The only qualm I have with dual wielding is when in multi several people are using it at once, all guns blazing. It clogs the action and makes it difficult to use aiming skill.

M'nar!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.