GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"It's Nothing Special"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 11/11/04 at 21:06
Regular
Didn't get my copy today, but I've been out 'til 7 playing on my friend's copied version, which is humourously in French.

After having a go on the 'Delta Halo' stage and playing on 'Coagulation' in multiplayer, I have to admit Halo 2 is nothing amazing.

Although there are loads of neat touches, like new guns, new vehciles and jumping onto vehicles, the whole package seemed pretty average. It felt just like any other FPS, and didn't feel special in any way. Plus the mission I was on was incredibly long-winded and although at the start it was pretty fun, after a while it got irritating.

And in multiplayer there was nothing astounding either. The stage Coagulation I felt was way too big to house four players, and there was very little one-on-one action as everyone was making a dash for the vehicles. It was fun, but bots would have made it a whole lot better.

So overall a pretty good game, but nothing 'groundbreaking'. As I've said many times before, it's a simple well-worked FPS. Some of the ideas work (Kicking people out of vehicles), some don't (Dual weilding) and some they shouldn't have changed (Pistol > Magnum).

Hopefully my copy will come tomorrow so that I can play System Link for my birthday bash.
Thu 11/11/04 at 21:06
Regular
Didn't get my copy today, but I've been out 'til 7 playing on my friend's copied version, which is humourously in French.

After having a go on the 'Delta Halo' stage and playing on 'Coagulation' in multiplayer, I have to admit Halo 2 is nothing amazing.

Although there are loads of neat touches, like new guns, new vehciles and jumping onto vehicles, the whole package seemed pretty average. It felt just like any other FPS, and didn't feel special in any way. Plus the mission I was on was incredibly long-winded and although at the start it was pretty fun, after a while it got irritating.

And in multiplayer there was nothing astounding either. The stage Coagulation I felt was way too big to house four players, and there was very little one-on-one action as everyone was making a dash for the vehicles. It was fun, but bots would have made it a whole lot better.

So overall a pretty good game, but nothing 'groundbreaking'. As I've said many times before, it's a simple well-worked FPS. Some of the ideas work (Kicking people out of vehicles), some don't (Dual weilding) and some they shouldn't have changed (Pistol > Magnum).

Hopefully my copy will come tomorrow so that I can play System Link for my birthday bash.
Thu 11/11/04 at 21:18
Regular
Crumble wrote:
> Didn't get my copy today, but I've been out 'til 7 playing on my
> friend's copied version, which is humourously in French.

How can you make a judgement when it's in French. A good part of Halo 2 is its story, so you'd miss out on that.

> After having a go on the 'Delta Halo' stage and playing on
> 'Coagulation' in multiplayer, I have to admit Halo 2 is nothing
> amazing.

Although I do agree it's nothing amazing, especially as I've played many games of Halo 2's standards years ago on PC.

> Although there are loads of neat touches, like new guns, new vehciles
> and jumping onto vehicles, the whole package seemed pretty average.

I disagree. There are no new human veichles which dissapoint be muchly.

> It felt just like any other FPS, and didn't feel special in any way.
> Plus the mission I was on was incredibly long-winded and although at
> the start it was pretty fun, after a while it got irritating.

It's probably best played in co-op. Single player would bore me to be honest.

> And in multiplayer there was nothing astounding either. The stage
> Coagulation I felt was way too big to house four players, and there
> was very little one-on-one action as everyone was making a dash for
> the vehicles. It was fun, but bots would have made it a whole lot
> better.

Try getting a real copy and taking it on Live. 16 player slayer was a lot of fun when I played it earlier.

> So overall a pretty good game, but nothing 'groundbreaking'. As I've
> said many times before, it's a simple well-worked FPS. Some of the
> ideas work (Kicking people out of vehicles), some don't (Dual
> weilding) and some they shouldn't have changed (Pistol Magnum).

I quite like dual wielding. Takes a little getting used to but I can't see what your problem with it is. The game itself will fill my co-op needs and maybe a bit of live.
Thu 11/11/04 at 21:20
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
Crumble wrote:
> which is humourously in French.

I imagine that could be quite comical, a French Master Chief, heh.
Thu 11/11/04 at 21:21
Regular
We had sub-titles on lol. 'Twas mildly irritating.

Well, for me it was nothing special. It just felt like any other good FPS I'd played on.
Thu 11/11/04 at 21:24
Regular
"Touched!"
Play it more then! It's nothing like "any other FPS"..unless you meant Halo?
Thu 11/11/04 at 21:27
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
I've been playing it since Friday, and not on some crappy French copy either. I think it's THE best FPS I've ever played, it's a vast improvement on Halo, everything seems to be more fast-paced and the graphics are more detailed, and the rag-doll physics are great.
Thu 11/11/04 at 21:27
Regular
Oh it felt like that for me. It felt very average. And after a while it got very irritating.
Thu 11/11/04 at 22:03
Regular
"ProGolfer"
LOL loser.
Thu 11/11/04 at 22:06
Regular
Foszy wrote:
> LOL loser.

Another Halo 2 fanboy I see. Go and stroke your copy, you failiure, while I discuss my views of the game with people of a higher intelligence than yourself.

Now go on, toddle along.
Thu 11/11/04 at 22:08
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
The Good:
Dual wielding, Live, Co-op, Level 2 (amazing), The story

The Bad:
Too futuristic, Playing multiplayer feels a bit too much like Unreal

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.