GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Doom 3 opinions"

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 07/04/05 at 22:57
Regular
"Craziest Col"
Crap.

I saved and exited half way through the single player and the online co-op is laggy with slow down.

The zombies just stand there and load a ton of bullets into you, but they don't move and their gun just doesn't do anything.

Perhaps it was because I was playing with a french person I was experiencing these problems, but it shouldn't really make a differnce.
Sat 09/04/05 at 11:53
Regular
"WhaleOilBeefHooked"
I love it, my favourite weapon to use against zombies is the flash light and the chainsaw was pretty good too. I'm in the communication tower at the moment. It's made me jump a couple of times also, especially when it keeps throwing corpses at the screen. :D
Sat 09/04/05 at 04:56
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Forgot to mention something about the single player mode earlier. Anyone whose playing it will probably know about the Super Turbo Turkey Puncher 3 game that you encounter early on.

If you're sad enough like me to stand there punching the turkeys till yopu get a high score, you'll get an email to read and I thought it was pretty funny. Think you have to score around 25,000 points on it. Whatever the score, you'll know when you've done it cause it'll indicate that you have a new mail. ;-)
Sat 09/04/05 at 02:21
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Overall I love Doom 3 and I guess the different atmosphere in the co-op adds a different way of playing it. But I would have really liked to have seen a co-op more similar to the single player where you feel more obliged to move at a slower pace and have the game make you soil your pants with parts of the surroundings falling about and enemies coming through the wall at you, etc.

But as it is, it forces you to pretty much run along the whole of each level because of the enemies always spawning behind you. If you try to go slow like you would in the single player mode, then you'd be dead within minutes. Plus where its pitch black, it takes away alot of the fear that you get when the lights are flickering and you're tempted to go look in that dark spot which looks like it could be hiding good amounts of ammo and stuff.

Its great in the single player how you sometimes restore power to the lights in places and its never lit up to an extent where you feel comfatable. :-)
Kinda like being in the colony situation in Aliens. Great to have the lights on, but still worried one of those poxy things will come crashing through to rip your guts out at any moment.

Oh - and the first encounter with Pinky was the nuts. Was shating myself. ;-)
Sat 09/04/05 at 01:31
Regular
"Touched!"
I've done about half of the co-op game with an american guy and I must say I enjoyed it a hell of a lot. I agree with Savatt though. You NEED friendly fire off otherwise you end up killing your partner when things get really crazy. The graphics are pretty damn good considering the hardware its running on. The guy did say he got lag but also mentioned his connection was not great. Overall as far as the co-op goes I'm impressed and I can see myself playing it over and over. Doesn't seem as scary when there are two of you though but you do jump a lot at times!
Fri 08/04/05 at 23:35
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Well I picked up the LE of the game today. The single player is excellent - for me its scarier than the likes of Resident Evil. :-)

As for online play, I haven't played the deathmatch modes yet, but I've played co-op and I'm not too sure about it. In the single player mode the darkness is a key part of the atmosphere - its dark, but you can still see your surroundings and the enemies appear at times where they're frequent, but not too often to ruin the suspense of when they'll jump out.

Co-op however is different. The torch seems to cover a much smaller area and everything around it is basically pitch black. You're lucky if you come accross a light in the whole thing. Plus the enemies are different, they just seem to appear all the time and theres always one behind you. I wouldn't even dream of turning friendly fire on because theres sod all space to move around and dodge enemy shots let alone your team mates'.

In Co-op, the game seems to lose the scary atmosphere and is replaced with manic shooting and frustration as you just seem to have to take hits all the time. Ends up being a game of shooting like a madman and respawning again and again rather than skill.

You don't really even get to have one guy use the torch while the other uses the gun because the torch light is just too lame in co-op. Plus of course the way the enemies appear, you end up both running around the small room shooting wildly anyway. Its good, but it just should have been more like the single player.
Fri 08/04/05 at 22:27
Regular
"Touched!"
Just got my copy. Would have liked the LE version but can't complain as this only cost me £29 with my good old staff discount. Will be on live later at some point after some CT.
Fri 08/04/05 at 21:48
Regular
"Remember me?"
Well so far I'm totally into it. Played the single player for a while. It's predictable as hell but I still jump. :P Plus I've had a go on the Live, played against three Frenchies and had no lag trouble at all. In fact I enjoyed it just as much as any other Live first person shooter I've owned... and I haven't even tried the co-op yet.

In short, I think it's great.

Oh and I also played through a few levels on Doom II. I love nostalgia.
Fri 08/04/05 at 19:32
Regular
"8==="
No doubt it'll be acceptable but not innovative.

It's faithful to Doom.
Fri 08/04/05 at 18:53
Regular
"bot"
Stridman wrote:
> They're rushing the games probably. This is probably the last year
> until Xbox 2 comes out so they've all decided to make loads of crap
> games and release them as soon as possible to make as much money from
> the Xbox until the Xbox 2 comes.

It's a PC game that was in development for YEARS.

Anyway, I told you all that it was crap in another thread, but did anyone listen?
Fri 08/04/05 at 18:45
Regular
"All about the Beats"
Thats why i prefer The Punisher at the moment.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.