GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Should David Beckham be dropped?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 31/03/05 at 15:31
Regular
"The Modfather"
Everybody has down-days yes. Down-years though? I know Beckham had an "ok" game last night, but lets face it, it was against Azerbaijan. Do you think he should be dropped from the England first-team and stripped of the captaincy?

Beckham has done jack for England (and I guess to an extent his club team) since "the" qualifying game against Greece.

I admire him for the way he flipped being a public hate figure around to being the most loved footballer in the country, from being a petulant child on the pitch to being a man and leading by example. However, saying that Beckham still deserves to be in the side at this moment in time just because of his past achievements is poppycock.

Yes, David Beckham does have a killer cross on him. Or at least he did.
Yes, David Beckham can whip in a brilliant dead-ball. Or at least he could.

Why was Beckham excelling in these areas? Practice. What happens when you get less practice? You lose your talent (or it diminishes at least).

When Beckham moved to Real Madrid that was the start of the end of his brilliance. He was switched into the centre or midfield because of the range of his passing. Fair enough. You tell me though, how often would you see a central midfielder getting to the final third of the field and whipping in a killer cross for a team-mate arriving in the box?

Beckham was known for his great engine too, the fact that he gave his all for England, leading by example, chasing balls down and getting in the thick of the action. Even players with limited skill (take Kevin Kilbane at Everton for example) who play in this kind of way are revered by the fans because they sense the importance of a win and the show of determination makes people happy. On far too few occasions though Beckham has drifted through a game, relying on his past achievements and knowing that no matter how badly he plays he will still start the next international match. Is it because he is irreplaceable? Is it because we don't have anyone up to his standard to play on the right wing? Is it because everyone looks at Beckham when they're on the pitch and thinks "he's showing me how I should be playing"? OR is it because Beckham is the captain, the most famous English footballer, the "nice guy", the money-maker andthe face of English Football all over the world?

How many times have you seen asians walking to an England game wearing England shirts bearing the Beckham name? Now flip that and ask how many England fans are likely to get "Beckham" on the back of their shirts as opposed to the likes of Rooney, Gerrard, Lampard, Owen... Terry?

If any one of the first four in htat list were injured, do you think they would be missed as much as Beckham? I know I certainly do.

Beckham living on his past glories is like somebody saying that Manchester United should bring back George Best because once.. back in the day, he was a superstar. Its like somebody paying 25m for Thuram, who is clearly not the player he once was.

Beckham has a good passing range, yes this is true.
Does he have a good eye for goal? His record suggests no.
Can he tackle well? See for yourself and you will realise its not one of his strong points.
Can he head a ball?
Does he have electric pace to take him past a full-back?
Does he have the strength and power to rely on when he's too tired to use his "pace"?
Can he dribble through 2 players to deliver a pass to a team-mate or a shot on goal?

The fact remains that if we started playing Michael Owen or Shaun Wright-Phillips or Frank Lampard or (Goodness help me) Keiron Dyer on the wing they would probably do as good a job as Beckham right now. Beckham has no competition for his place as its cemented. We've only just recently seen him being substituted during games - before say the last 4 games he was probably guaranteed to finish the 90mins whereas someone like Rooney I don't think has managed to complete one 90-minute match for England yet.

Familiarity breeds contempt they say, but I would still rather have Gary Neville as England right-back because he does his job perfectly and the greatest compliment you can say is that you hardly ever notice him when he's playing.

Beckham however, is another matter altogether.

T
Sun 10/04/05 at 21:43
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
I'm not saying every foul is a dive. I'm saying he always looks for the foul. I must have said it three or four times now. Every time I've seen him this season, he gets into the opponents half, doesn't try and get past the opposing team's players, doesn't pass, waits for the tackle and then falls over. It gets a few goals, but it's boring. And he does it because he's not as fast as he was, and he's so unsure of being able to get past the defenders that he doesn't bother.

Solari is left footed, but he's a bit like Figo and Zidane in that he'll pop up all over the place. Zidane is right footed anyway, so Zidane could move to the right and Solari fill in on the left.
Sun 10/04/05 at 21:38
Regular
I don't like diving myself but if he Figo is brought down a lot as sometimes that's the only way to stop him. He does dive and he does look for the foul sometimes, not all the time. It seems to me you have a certain dislike of him and just say every foul is a dive. And Solari plays on the left doesn't he?
Sun 10/04/05 at 21:35
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
I know a lot of people dive, and it's not just in Spanish football, it's worldwide. It doesn't mean I like it. And it doesn't mean you have to look for it. And even if he was fouled, it doesn't mean he wasn't looking for the foul. Because he always is. Give his first team place to Solari.
Sun 10/04/05 at 21:33
Regular
It's La Liga...it's Spanish football, he's not the only one who dives. And I've seen him go down loads of times and he has been touched.
Sun 10/04/05 at 21:31
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
He is trying. Trying to get the free kick. It's the only thing he can do anymore.
Sun 10/04/05 at 21:30
Regular
Tbh when Real were losing and drawing Figo was the only one who looked like he was trying.
Sun 10/04/05 at 21:26
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
I'd be glad to see the back of Figo. Not fast enough, and always goes for the free kick these days. At least Zidane can still be inspirational on the big occasions.
Sun 10/04/05 at 14:32
Regular
Good point, we could do with a new left-back and I hear she has a killer left foot.
Sun 10/04/05 at 14:18
Regular
"Previously Vampyr"
or fernando's sister
Sun 10/04/05 at 14:03
Regular
I don't have to hope, I know. My cousin works for British Airways, he's already booked his ticket home. I've got a copy of the ticket here. Mr Mikey Owen, Madrid to John Lennon International. Sorted. Plus he's booked two tickets. One could be for his wife, but I'm betting it's for Figo.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.