GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Whats so good about the x-box?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 24/05/01 at 12:33
Regular
Why are microsoft entering the console market with their x-box apart from for money? What new things are they going to bring to the console world? Absolutely nothing? In reality the x-box may destroy console gaming altogether if it sells well enough.

A large computer firm like microsoft has 'unlimited' financial resources and should be able to produce a very good console. So why do I get the feeling that Microsoft could turn consoles into pc's? Consoles should be about the games and the way the market is going its not likely to be this way for very long. Microsoft should stick to what they are best at and not try to monopolise this industry as well.

The death of consoles will soon be upon us! :)
Thu 24/05/01 at 15:39
Regular
MS arent *making* the console, as such. All they are doing is getting together companies that couldn't make the machine themselves.

Nvidia and Intel (wasn it originally going to be AMD?) couldnt make a console themselves, all MS are doing is using their name and finances to creat a console out of existing companies products.

It is because of this that the XBox shouldnt need any time for the developers to "get to grips" with the hardware. It has all been around for ages any way.

I'm looking forward to the XBox in the same way a drunk person looks forward to the next day, just to see if they have a hangover or not.
Thu 24/05/01 at 15:35
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Personally I'm looking at the X-Box with quiet appreciation.

It may be rubbish, but I like my PC and the games on it.
Hence, I think I'll enjoy X-Box titles.
I wont touch Gamecube because I felt underwhelmed with the N64.

that's just my opinion though, not saying it's a fact for everyone.
Thu 24/05/01 at 15:33
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Since when was Microsoft "a good company"?

And Sony stuff works. Also, Sony actually make electonic hardware. Microsoft don't make PCs. MS are a software company, where as Sony were used to hardware. Also, Sony had a helping hand with Nintendo, so they were far removed from MS's current situation.

That is, a console the size of a fridge, a price tag to boot, a bad reputation and an even worse track record.
Thu 24/05/01 at 15:25
Why is everybody dissing Microsoft for entering the console market. I mean, all in all Microsoft are a good company. And besides, it makes the console wars better and also gives as another console to buy and more games to play.
What's so different from Microsoft entering the console market, then when Sony entered the console market. They both entered from different fields: Sony from electronic market in general (TV's, video recorders etc) and Microsoft from the PC market.
Microsoft could do what Sony did in the console market (I am pretty sure this has already been said, but hey).
Thu 24/05/01 at 15:13
Regular
You are missing the point, these things happen because people buy standardised computers from companies like compaq. These things are pathetic and anyone with a basic knowledge of computers and has a custom built pc from a decent computer store will not habe these problems that you have stated, you are not dealing with an average joe shmoe here and I do believe that without microsoft pcs would never have taken such a place in our society that they have today!

turbonutter wrote:
> Write my own programs. For me.

I accept that the average Joe
> Shmoe thinks MS is the best thing since sliced bread, but advance
> computer users realise how crap it is. People think that crashes are
> a fact of life, that unstable programs are ok, that jerky games even
> when you've got a state-of-the-art graphics card is OK. The fact is,
> it's not. Linux and Mac far outstrip a PC of the same processor,
> because they are so much better.

Linux and Mac are good. Windows
> is carp. Face it. There's no denying it. Windows is only more
> popular because it was first, and now it's dug into our society and
> it won't let go.

Now I'm OK with the PC situation, but I find the
> Xbox doing the same, I might do something criminal.
Thu 24/05/01 at 14:45
Regular
turbonutter wrote:
Windows
> is carp.

Hmmmm, i wondered what that fishy smell was..... :-)

I wouldnt consider myself an advanced computer user, but i realise that windows isnt all it's cracked up to be.

I'm sorely tempted to get a Mac when i get my next computer. The only worry i have is whether i can still use all my software or whether i have to by new versions of everything.
Thu 24/05/01 at 14:41
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Write my own programs. For me.

I accept that the average Joe Shmoe thinks MS is the best thing since sliced bread, but advance computer users realise how crap it is. People think that crashes are a fact of life, that unstable programs are ok, that jerky games even when you've got a state-of-the-art graphics card is OK. The fact is, it's not. Linux and Mac far outstrip a PC of the same processor, because they are so much better.

Linux and Mac are good. Windows is carp. Face it. There's no denying it. Windows is only more popular because it was first, and now it's dug into our society and it won't let go.

Now I'm OK with the PC situation, but I find the Xbox doing the same, I might do something criminal.
Thu 24/05/01 at 14:32
Regular
Now, what can the average joe shmoe, do with it?? Yep and for your programs to make money, what format must they be written for??
Thu 24/05/01 at 14:30
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Run a stable webserver, script your own tasks, write programs easily, customize it, run loads of programs at once without fear of it crashing and it really, really speeds up games.
Thu 24/05/01 at 14:25
Regular
Does it, what can you do with it??

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.