GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Whats so good about the x-box?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 24/05/01 at 12:33
Regular
Why are microsoft entering the console market with their x-box apart from for money? What new things are they going to bring to the console world? Absolutely nothing? In reality the x-box may destroy console gaming altogether if it sells well enough.

A large computer firm like microsoft has 'unlimited' financial resources and should be able to produce a very good console. So why do I get the feeling that Microsoft could turn consoles into pc's? Consoles should be about the games and the way the market is going its not likely to be this way for very long. Microsoft should stick to what they are best at and not try to monopolise this industry as well.

The death of consoles will soon be upon us! :)
Thu 24/05/01 at 16:16
Regular
Bonus wrote:
> You are so niave, MS are not making the Xbox intel are, you
> plum!
Thu 24/05/01 at 16:15
Regular
I bet it will be unsuccessful 2, read my post in the PS2 forum to wonder why, but i'm not using the argument about MS not having a track record of making things, because Nvidia and Intel do!!
Thu 24/05/01 at 16:13
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Whatever. Anyway. I still predict a big flop.

I know. Tony: you witness this. I bet £10 that the Xbox will be unsuccessful. There.
Thu 24/05/01 at 16:13
Regular
Why??
Thu 24/05/01 at 16:11
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Can you re-type that, please?
Thu 24/05/01 at 16:10
Regular
I think everyone missed this major point, Microdoft let Intel and Nvidia make their big black box, Microsoft have had very little to do with the production of the console themselves, they even let Nvidia write the transformation and lighting part of directx 8, so that nvidia could engineer it to work perfectly and support all the features of their graphics card, all MS are doing is funding, advertiseing and getting developer support, i.e. the business side and what Microsoft are the best at doing, no one can match the corporate juggernaught.
Thu 24/05/01 at 16:07
Regular
You are so niave, MS are not making the Xbox intel are you plum!

turbonutter wrote:
> Since when was Microsoft "a good company"?

And Sony
> stuff works. Also, Sony actually make electonic hardware. Microsoft
> don't make PCs. MS are a software company, where as Sony were used
> to hardware. Also, Sony had a helping hand with Nintendo, so they
> were far removed from MS's current situation.

That is, a console
> the size of a fridge, a price tag to boot, a bad reputation and an
> even worse track record.
Thu 24/05/01 at 15:45
turbonutter wrote:
> Since when was Microsoft "a good company"?

And Sony
> stuff works. Also, Sony actually make electonic hardware. Microsoft
> don't make PCs. MS are a software company, where as Sony were used
> to hardware. Also, Sony had a helping hand with Nintendo, so they
> were far removed from MS's current situation.

That is, a console
> the size of a fridge, a price tag to boot, a bad reputation and an
> even worse track record.

I didn't say they made PC's, I just said they came from the PC market.
Thu 24/05/01 at 15:43
Regular
"Bring back Mullets"
Possible if a little far fetched scenerio- X-box produced in the millions, no-one buys it because no one likes microsoft. Mr Bill Gates starts to get worried so funds the production of a mind altering laser gun. He uses this laser gun to send the message "Microsoft is good, there are no problems with windows, buy the x-box, worship me." Unfortunately Mr Gates has been fooled into commisioning a loudspeaker mind altering laser that is connected straight to Scotland yard. He is arrested and later buys his own bail of £110 billion. Bill gates is now a street tramp and is currently trying to find a way to claim that he invented linux. The world rejoices as consoles survive and Bill Gates despairs of the world and joins the circus.

Well I live in hope.
Thu 24/05/01 at 15:42
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
AMD is so much better than Intel. Why can't people see this? It's like Windows and Linux.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.