GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Cheapest way for Wireless internet..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 18/03/05 at 08:29
Regular
I only need to connect one PC via wirless, everything else need to run through Ethernet. I bought some stuff last week which I under-estimated what it would take.

Do I need a bridge for the one wirless device? I have had a look around and bridges seem a little on the expensive side for what I actually need one for.

What would be the cheapest method to get up and running with a 4 port ADSL gateway with the ability to bridge to one wirless device without any homeless people trying to sex on my hand with their diseasse infected peni?

PORA BISHA!
Tue 12/04/05 at 09:36
Regular
"bing bang bong"
[URL]http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000TZ8Z8/thedvdforums-21/202-2288217-2019828[/URL]

There you go. Not sure if it's the cheapest available (I'm sure I got one cheaper off ebay) but it's certainly less than the £100 screeched at earlier in the thread.
Tue 12/04/05 at 00:17
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Someone at work today listed a deal that would be right up your collective streets on our internal newsgroup. When I get to work tomorrow I'll post it.
Mon 11/04/05 at 18:49
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
I've got a couple of bits of gear I've got my eye on. Wi-fi is one of them, as I'm getting shipped off to live in a conservatory soon and I don't think they'll appreciate me drilling a hole in their new walls for ethernet cable...
Mon 11/04/05 at 18:07
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
phi11ip wrote:
> £100! Sod that, I'm staying wired!

lol, I'll remember that whilst I'm sitting in the garden enjoying the sun with a nice cold coke (I dont drink) surfing the interweb for all it's delights.

fwiw, you can get kits for about £50 now on the 11Mb/sec .11b.
Mon 11/04/05 at 17:40
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
£100! Sod that, I'm staying wired!
Mon 11/04/05 at 17:33
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
phi11ip wrote:
> This thread is very similar to what I want to do.
>
> Basically one PC will still be connected to the NTL modem while this
> laptop will be wireless.

Same set up as me.

My current solution is:

Linksys WRT54GS 4 Port 10/100 Router/hub & Linksys WPC54GS PCMICA Card (Both 802.11g) Router allows for multiple wireless decvices (up to 11 at once) + 4 over ethernet. Whole kit about £100

My previous linksys 802.11b set up can be found for about £60 (BEFW11S4 @ £39 + WPC11 @ £20)

Looking at upgrading this month to 54g+ (108Mb/sec), though probably staying with Linksys
Mon 11/04/05 at 17:29
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
This thread is very similar to what I want to do.

Basically one PC will still be connected to the NTL modem while this laptop will be wireless.

What would be the best way? I don't want to make the big PC wireless due to that being pathetic because it's crap, I just want this one to be wireless.

I'm guessing I need to get a wireless router for the connection and then just get something like this?
[URL]http://specialreserve.co.uk/Peak_Wireless_8958_r.html[/URL]

(I just randomly picked something out, I haven't looked at it properly.)

Anyway, I want it to be cheap and cheerful. I don't want to drain my bank balance!

Thanks
Sat 19/03/05 at 00:54
Regular
"Touched!"
I actually bought a wireless access point for £35 (Belkin one) which I thought would be good incase I ever got anything else that used wireless such as DS/PSP etc etc. Might be worth getting an AP from ebuyer possibly. Just an idea.
Fri 18/03/05 at 13:31
Regular
You'd be wise to get one the same brand as the modem/router though.
Fri 18/03/05 at 13:31
Regular
No probs.

A PCI card is simply an access point for your wireless network, just that it's inside the machine rather than outside. Just as effective, yet doesn't take up any space.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.