GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"So ... what d'you think?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 16/03/05 at 22:34
Regular
"Twenty quid."
[URL]http://timmargh.net/[/URL]

Changed from absolutely positioned DIV's to floating ones ... not sure why. Added a bit of colour. Moved the content up in the source. Still have some CSS optimising to do, though.

Your thoughts, good and bad, are welcomed.
Tue 22/03/05 at 16:26
"Dark FX"
Sorry to bring this topic back up but I have a question about your CSS. If you wanted to add another 'button' to the left navigation bar. Would you have to add it to every HTML/PHP page?
Tue 22/03/05 at 18:48
Regular
"Twenty quid."
If you mean the categories buttons then: no - Movable Type automatically generates a new button when I create a new category and all the navigational links are in a file that is included using a template module and PHP.
Tue 22/03/05 at 19:24
"Dark FX"
Timmargh wrote:
> If you mean the categories buttons then: no - Movable Type
> automatically generates a new button when I create a new category and
> all the navigational links are in a file that is included using a
> template module and PHP.

Ah, so it can't be done in plain ol' HTML?
Tue 22/03/05 at 20:31
Regular
"Twenty quid."
Yes it can as the result of my convoluted is plain HTML, it's just the way I do it is automated because I'm lazy.

Basically I have a module template (a piece of code I can easily include in other templates):

This generates a list of categories with their respective links. The result is output to a HTML file which I then add to all my pages using a standard PHP include statement.

I use a module template as Movable Type's search facility can't do PHP (or at least I haven't figured how to get it to) and it compiles the module templates on the fly.
Tue 22/03/05 at 20:54
"Dark FX"
I'm a bit lost around this whole "MTcategory thing" but thanks for the help =)
Tue 22/03/05 at 23:18
Regular
"Twenty quid."
Movable Type is the blogging software I use and it allows you to assign different categories to each blog entry - the tag simply tells Movable Type to cycle through all the categories and replace the MT tag with the HTML/text equivalent.

For example, if you had ...

<$MTCategoryLabel$>

... and you had "Audio", "Games" and "Visual" categories, then building the template would produce ...

Audio

Games

Visual

You only need to know this if you're using Movable Type and I've probably just confused you even more.

:^$
Wed 23/03/05 at 09:55
Regular
"Bicycle"
Timmargh, do ya pay for MT? Or do you use the 1 user version?

Plus, is it better than TextPattern / WordPad? I used to use MT, before it went pricey...
Wed 23/03/05 at 11:54
Regular
"Twenty quid."
I use the the free "1 author, 3 weblogs" version and I'm using it on 2 weblogs, timmargh.net and beepclick.co.uk

I think I made a small donation a while back, but I can't really remember.
Fri 25/03/05 at 20:42
"Dark FX"
ok, I've downloaded MT. Do you need any knowledge of perl to use it?
Fri 25/03/05 at 20:46
Regular
"Twenty quid."
Nope - just follow the instructions.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.