GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Dean Koontz..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 10/03/05 at 20:39
Regular
"Prefers Tesis"
I'm fairly new to his writing and I like his style! Brilliantly suspenseful. At the moment I'm reading tick-tock. Very good so far. Next I'm going to read intensity. I hear that the film haute tension is a total rip off of Koontz's book.

I've also read the funhouse and from the corner of her eye.

Good stuff!
Fri 11/03/05 at 16:44
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Green Ferocity wrote:
> I really enjoyed the Lonely dead and straw men, although I haven't
> read any of MMS's sci fi stuff.

Just personal choice. I felt the imagination and wit that's in his SF stuff in spades is missing from SM and LD. Interesting plot in Straw Men (The Halls) but I felt the execution was too "american" if that makes any sense. His style jumped from a quirky British SF writer to a standard American thriller writer IMHO. Still, they move at a belting pace and I'll be buying the next in the series. ;)
Fri 11/03/05 at 16:44
Regular
"Prefers Tesis"
I think I'll go with both of your suggestions anyways.
Fri 11/03/05 at 16:39
Regular
"Prefers Tesis"
Pandaemonium wrote:

> Love MMS's Science fiction, hate Straw Men and Lonely Dead.

I really enjoyed the Lonely dead and straw men, although I haven't read any of MMS's sci fi stuff.
Fri 11/03/05 at 16:37
Regular
"Prefers Tesis"
Now that I've read a few Koontz books, I'm beginning to realise that they're not disimilar to gossebumps books which I read when I was like 9. Well, I'll try out some Clive Barker like you reccommended ;)
Fri 11/03/05 at 16:35
Regular
"Prefers Tesis"
Thanks Panda, Tilta :)
Thu 10/03/05 at 21:20
Regular
Books of Blood was what got me really into Barker. There's just something about his writing style that clicks with me, I couldn't put the book down after reading that excellent introduction. It's also full of violence so I'm sure you'll enjoy it Green.

It's a pity that the kind of originality shown in Barkers books isn't present in modern horror. I'm not a massive reader but give me a book by Barker and you won't see me for the next few days.
Thu 10/03/05 at 21:11
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Green Ferocity wrote:
> What horror authors are their who are more blood and guts than
> psychological horror?

Barker. I know you like gory Asian cinema. You'll be right at home with Barker. Books of Blood first, that'll give you a taste for his brand of imaginative with sexual undertones horror.

Love MMS's Science fiction, hate Straw Men and Lonely Dead.

[URL]http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/075151022X/qid=1110489143/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl/202-7093420-0443059[/URL]

Boooks of blood volume 1 -3 .

[URL]http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0751512257/qid=1110489143/sr=8-2/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i2_xgl/202-7093420-0443059[/URL]

All for a fiver used. Go on. You know you want too.
Thu 10/03/05 at 21:04
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> I second Clive Barker.
>
> The Books of Blood are in my opinion his best.
>
> I quite enjoy some of his fantasy books too. Weave World and Imajica
> were excellent, really enjoyed them.

Clapclapclapclapclapclapclap. My favorite books of all time in one post. I bow to you sir.
Thu 10/03/05 at 21:04
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Green Ferocity wrote:
> Oh, I don't like steven king that much. Maybe its a one or the other
> type thing?

I read loads of King and Koontz when I was younger, but really can't get away with them now. However, Kings non horror books and especially the Dark Tower series are magnificent. Possibly a change in taste as I've got older. I prefer weird / hard SF / dark comedy at the moment. Hmmm, the fiance has a Koontz book knocking around. Might give it a try.
Thu 10/03/05 at 21:03
Regular
I second Clive Barker.

The Books of Blood are in my opinion his best.

I quite enjoy some of his fantasy books too. Weave World and Imajica were excellent, really enjoyed them.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.