GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Hands up if you're getting a PSP"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 22/11/04 at 11:03
Regular
My argument that handheld games just aren't cool is being put to the test here.

Sony reinvented the gaming industry, the Granddaddy of video games, Nintendo, are faltering as Sony have changed the way games will be played for ever.

Fortunatly for Nintendo their handheld department has crushed any opposition it has come against, SEGA, Atari, Nokia and soon Microsoft as well.

Now Sony want in. If the PSP does outsell the DS and the GBA SP as well as the next generation of GBA (due in a couple of years i'd imagine) it could spell the end for Nintendo.

Yet I don't think Sony will, and here's why. Handheld games just aren't cool, hardcore Sony fans (many of you lot) may pick it up but will the billions of casual PS2 gamers get one? I've not met one casual gamer (all of them PS2 owners might I add) who intends to get it. In fact they've dismissed it almost immediatly.

Truth be told none of them want a Nintendo DS either but then the Nintendo DS corners a different market. Hardcore gamers and Kids buy handhelds... I know only young people and hardcore gamers who own them. Nintendo's DS with its "revolutionary" ways of playing games looks set to appeal to those two fanbasses. Whilst Sony seem to be gunning for the Ipod generation.

I digress slightly. But my point stands, will the PSP be popular with the joe gamer? Could you imagine hundreds of punters up and down the country playing a PSP down the pub?

No, neither can I.

So, although you are more of a hardcore fanbase, hands up if you want a PSP?
Tue 23/11/04 at 23:06
Regular
"es argh"
FantasyMeister wrote:
> BTW: New PSP Adverts:
>
> [URL]http://wakayama.cool.ne.jp/warzard/psp_02_15.mpg[/URL] - Gran
> Turismo (12 cars on the track? Might be Ridge Racer...)
>
> [URL]http://wakayama.cool.ne.jp/warzard/psp_03_15.mpg[/URL] - Golf
>
> [URL]http://wakayama.cool.ne.jp/warzard/psp_04_15.mpg[/URL] - No
> idea
>
> [URL]http://wakayama.cool.ne.jp/warzard/psp_05_15.mpg[/URL] - Puzzle

Dead dead dead.

Sadness.
Wed 24/11/04 at 00:32
Regular
"Bow to me!"
Edgy wrote:
> Playstation sells because Sony tapped into an unclaimed market.
>
> It has nothing to do with its (lack of) quality.

Its more to do with quantity of games. And when PS first started the games were much cheaper than N64 games so thats where it got a good lead from, and its kept it.
Wed 24/11/04 at 09:45
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
Dringo wrote:
> I dunno, just talking to my brother and he didn't even know there was
> a PSP!

Well there isn't, at the moment. It's not near to being released in the shops yet, so only people who read gaming magazines, gaming websites or keep up with news in some other way have any idea about it. You can bet there'll be ad campaigns, shop displays etc etc nearer the time.
Wed 24/11/04 at 10:23
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
Marcini wrote:
> Its more to do with quantity of games. And when PS first started the
> games were much cheaper than N64 games so thats where it got a good
> lead from, and its kept it.

When PS first started the N64 didn't even bl**dy exist. The nonsense posted on here baffles me sometimes.
Wed 24/11/04 at 16:25
Regular
RIRAN wrote:
> Playstation sells because of quality

Pffft
It's a piece of junk
Wed 24/11/04 at 17:45
Regular
"Bicycle"
Darwock wrote:
> Marcini wrote:
>
> When PS first started the N64 didn't even bl**dy exist. The nonsense
> posted on here baffles me sometimes.

Also, the N64 kicks the PSX all over the shop.
Wed 24/11/04 at 19:00
"period drama"
munn wrote:
> RIRAN wrote:
> Playstation sells because of quality
>
> Pffft
> It's a piece of junk

Aha, indeed indeed.
The PS2 is terribly built - I count myself lucky that I've had no problems. Probably one of the most error-prone consoles ever.
Wed 24/11/04 at 19:22
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
You must be one of the only people that hasn't had problems.

I'm on my 2nd PS2, and I got it about a year after launch. I know plenty of people who have had to send their PS2s away for repair, and also someone who's currently on their third PS2.

And my SNES, which is about 12 years old, still works. Ahahah.
Thu 25/11/04 at 00:14
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
Yep, I had to send my PS2 away for repair. Had it since launch though, not a bad run. And my original PSX still works fine.
Thu 25/11/04 at 12:07
Regular
"Bow to me!"
Darwock wrote:
> Marcini wrote:
>
> When PS first started the N64 didn't even bl**dy exist. The nonsense
> posted on here baffles me sometimes.

According to Google they were both released in early 1996. I know that PS was released a few months earlier but thats not the point at all. I was meaning that when they were both out together the PS games were cheaper. PS games were also cheaper than SNES games, which were around at that time. On launch of the PS there seemed to be aisles full, but N64 had a disapointing small section. N64 was my fave console, but Im just stating when PS took off.

Also, Ive never had any technical problems with my PS2 so far, I never move it though so it dosnt have a chance to break.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.