GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Hands up if you're getting a PSP"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 22/11/04 at 11:03
Regular
My argument that handheld games just aren't cool is being put to the test here.

Sony reinvented the gaming industry, the Granddaddy of video games, Nintendo, are faltering as Sony have changed the way games will be played for ever.

Fortunatly for Nintendo their handheld department has crushed any opposition it has come against, SEGA, Atari, Nokia and soon Microsoft as well.

Now Sony want in. If the PSP does outsell the DS and the GBA SP as well as the next generation of GBA (due in a couple of years i'd imagine) it could spell the end for Nintendo.

Yet I don't think Sony will, and here's why. Handheld games just aren't cool, hardcore Sony fans (many of you lot) may pick it up but will the billions of casual PS2 gamers get one? I've not met one casual gamer (all of them PS2 owners might I add) who intends to get it. In fact they've dismissed it almost immediatly.

Truth be told none of them want a Nintendo DS either but then the Nintendo DS corners a different market. Hardcore gamers and Kids buy handhelds... I know only young people and hardcore gamers who own them. Nintendo's DS with its "revolutionary" ways of playing games looks set to appeal to those two fanbasses. Whilst Sony seem to be gunning for the Ipod generation.

I digress slightly. But my point stands, will the PSP be popular with the joe gamer? Could you imagine hundreds of punters up and down the country playing a PSP down the pub?

No, neither can I.

So, although you are more of a hardcore fanbase, hands up if you want a PSP?
Sat 11/12/04 at 17:22
Regular
"The definitive tag"
Unlikely, handheld gaming is a bit dull.
Fri 10/12/04 at 07:01
Regular
"I'm busy"
I probably will, I'm a sucker for electronic gizmos.
I'll buy one, play it non-stop for a couple of weeks, then it will be condemned on the side until a good fps comes out or GTA, then it's back on the side.
Thu 09/12/04 at 19:38
Regular
"Bicycle"
:D
Thu 09/12/04 at 19:33
Regular
Lou Role wrote:
> I'll only get a PSP if a GTA game is released for it.]

An exclusive GTA game has been released on the Game Boy Advance...
Thu 09/12/04 at 19:17
Regular
"object"
Chr1s wrote:
> all handheld gaming is crap

i agree but i hope the psp will change that
Thu 09/12/04 at 17:18
Regular
"Bicycle"
SEGA are not producing and making games.

Best one so far: Football Manager 2005

SEGA 1 : Edios 0

Shame on you!
Thu 09/12/04 at 13:55
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Well if you want to be pedantic on the wording fine, lack of 3rd party titles helped contribute to the N64 not doing well.
Thu 09/12/04 at 12:14
Regular
lalakersrule wrote:
> Mog the cat wrote:
> playstation 1 killed nentendo 64
>
>
> No, lack of 3rd party titles killed the N64.

Nothing killed the N64 it continued to sell till the very end.

Killing a console is making it go out of production without the company doing so to bring in a new one.

I.E. SEGA Saturn, Sega Dreamcast.
Wed 08/12/04 at 22:21
Regular
"The definitive tag"
all handheld gaming is crap
Wed 08/12/04 at 19:50
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Mog the cat wrote:
> playstation 1 killed nentendo 64

No, lack of 3rd party titles killed the N64.

Anyway, apparently there seems to be quite a few RPG's coming out on the PSP, may look into buying one when the time comes

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.