GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Help on Computer Games Design"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 20/02/05 at 23:55
Regular
"Bring the beat back"
If I pass all my A levels I hope to be going to uni to start a Computer Science Games Development course and I was wondering has anyone else done this course before or currently doing this course, and if you are could you give me some pointers in what it will involve? Also I haven't really made any games beofore e.g. and flash games on the internet and does anyone know where I could learn or if theres any good books as any help would be nice, Thanks.
Tue 22/02/05 at 19:10
Regular
"you've got a beard"
cweek2000 wrote:

> Still, there's about as much chance of me
> being a computer games designer as... as...
>
> (erm... anyone got a metaphor for this?)

if you're not even going to apply yourself and give it a try then i have to say i agree with you, you'll never be a games designer.
thousands of people in life don't get what they want, but at least the ones that tried can say they gave it a go.
Tue 22/02/05 at 18:50
"period drama"
I'd rather do design stuff, as my imagination pwns j00.
But I never did anything arty ... so wouldn't have been able to get into that side of it anyway. So I went for something between the two.
Tue 22/02/05 at 18:32
Regular
Your mum.
Tue 22/02/05 at 18:18
Regular
"In Soviet Russia..."
Very_Metal wrote:
> designers don't program. they design.
> guess what programmers do? :)

I knew you would say that. Still, there's about as much chance of me being a computer games designer as... as...

(erm... anyone got a metaphor for this?)
Tue 22/02/05 at 17:01
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
cweek2000 wrote:
> Best bet is to wait until you've done your A Levels, and then plan
> from there.

except you have to apply before you do them?
Yeah, let's all do our A-levels, then sit around for a year doing nothing because we aren't going to apply until 3 months after we get our results!

Tue 22/02/05 at 00:31
Regular
"Bring the beat back"
Thanks to all that have answered. I know I have to learn C++ so I better buy some self teach books to get me going before I go to uni. I'm going to wolverhampton uni and its a new course there so its just look what I have been told and hope I learn useful stuff.
Mon 21/02/05 at 16:22
Regular
"Dr. Chad Niga"
I know some stuff about it, because i was interested in looking at game design.
And asked some people what stuff they did.

Basically, you get 4-5 differant main coursework topics.
For example, Making a Mod for Half Life, Creating a Game on drag and drop programs such as the RPG Maker.

Aparently, its a fun course to do and you have alot of time to learn the stuff you need to do, for example, you need to write a mod for a game, which needs to be in C++, so you have the time to research C++ and learn it, etc.
You make the mod, and do a write up about how you did it.

So think of it being like that.
Sounds interesting, but if you're not one of the best, you really dont have many options once you get the degree. That's why i have chosen computer science, so i have something to fall back on, then move on to games if i choose to.

Hope that helps.
Mon 21/02/05 at 16:17
Regular
Actually, it's kinda the reverse. You get the designers who sit in their a ss with the pizza all day, while the coders finish their work months in advance.
Mon 21/02/05 at 16:14
Regular
"Captain to you."
Very_Metal wrote:
> that's management :)

i think your right there.
Mon 21/02/05 at 16:12
Regular
"you've got a beard"
that's management :)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.