GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Help on Computer Games Design"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 20/02/05 at 23:55
Regular
"Bring the beat back"
If I pass all my A levels I hope to be going to uni to start a Computer Science Games Development course and I was wondering has anyone else done this course before or currently doing this course, and if you are could you give me some pointers in what it will involve? Also I haven't really made any games beofore e.g. and flash games on the internet and does anyone know where I could learn or if theres any good books as any help would be nice, Thanks.
Wed 23/02/05 at 15:45
Nonetheless, you can't disregard the PC market entirely as a games platform, hence Java can be considered a viable language for use in games.

On top of that, forgot to mention that more and more games on mobiles and embedded devices are now programmed with Java; and you can hardly ignore mobile games in the market anymore.
Wed 23/02/05 at 15:39
Regular
"bing bang bong"
lcarus wrote:
> Actually, there have been continual improvements in compiler
> efficiency, especially in custom ones such as jikes. To cut things
> short, full commerical games through Java is possible. Visit the java
> tech website if you want, they're showcasing featured games there.
>
> There have been several recent examples of C# games coming through,
> offering almost similar compile times and file sizes but with half
> the code required in Cpp.

Games programming is not PC programming, the majority of games are made for consoles. Once you move away from the PC, you are limited to C/C++ or possibly assembly.

To the OP, if you want to get into game design then get very familiar with making levels and/or mods for existing games. This will give you a good feel for the way games are constructed and merit badges for your CV.
Wed 23/02/05 at 14:41
Regular
"you've got a beard"
FinalFantasyFanatic wrote:

> Went straight to male prostitute and casual preschool-streaker.

that's far more noble :)
Wed 23/02/05 at 14:19
Cong Man wrote:
> gamesfreak wrote:
> Java, C# and XML aren't really good 'game' languages though are
> they.
>
Actually, there have been continual improvements in compiler efficiency, especially in custom ones such as jikes. To cut things short, full commerical games through Java is possible. Visit the java tech website if you want, they're showcasing featured games there.

There have been several recent examples of C# games coming through, offering almost similar compile times and file sizes but with half the code required in Cpp.

> No they're not, but I thought you'd take the implication from my post
> that there is no real money in games design, or indeed programming.
> If you want to earn big money you need to be in applications. That
> was my point.

True, though there are still a huge number of companies that use Cpp and are sticking with it; most of the games industry use it of course, while many application based devs still rely on it.
>
> Java relies on it's VM, C# relies on the .net thing and XML - pfft!
>
Erm, XML is a universal language, designed to operate on everything from settings to database records. While not used directly in games, chances are some in in-house tools in aid of making the game make substantial use of XML.
Wed 23/02/05 at 14:13
Regular
I think most people aim to program Games simply because it appeals to them, although now I've gained a bit more of an insight into what this involves I can't say I share their enthusiasm anymore. Big money and games never really mix in my opinion, although obviously never say never.
Wed 23/02/05 at 14:10
Regular
"..."
gamesfreak wrote:
> Java, C# and XML aren't really good 'game' languages though are
> they.

No they're not, but I thought you'd take the implication from my post that there is no real money in games design, or indeed programming. If you want to earn big money you need to be in applications. That was my point.
Wed 23/02/05 at 13:37
Regular
Cong Man wrote:
> C and C++ are virtually obsolete languages these days, althouh they
> will give you a good grounding in the basics needed to be a succesful
> programmer.
>
> If you want to earn big money you should cocentrate on Java, C# and
> XML.
>
> Edit:- I did Software Engineering by the way.

Java, C# and XML aren't really good 'game' languages though are they.

Java relies on it's VM, C# relies on the .net thing and XML - pfft!

Thats why C/C++ are still used today.

Fast, efficient etc etc

Anyway....
Wed 23/02/05 at 13:04
Regular
"..."
monkey_man wrote:
> Learn C and C++.

C and C++ are virtually obsolete languages these days, althouh they will give you a good grounding in the basics needed to be a succesful programmer.

If you want to earn big money you should cocentrate on Java, C# and XML.

Edit:- I did Software Engineering by the way.
Tue 22/02/05 at 19:14
"period drama"
Ass.
I didn't think of that.

Went straight to male prostitute and casual preschool-streaker.
Tue 22/02/05 at 19:10
Regular
"you've got a beard"
FinalFantasyFanatic wrote:
> I'd rather do design stuff, as my imagination pwns j00.
> But I never did anything arty ... so wouldn't have been able to get
> into that side of it anyway. So I went for something between the two.

mcdonalds assistant manager? :D

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.