GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Brits get serious + results"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 10/02/05 at 06:54
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Finally, it looks like theyre at last turning into awards show that is about decent music, it started last year with some respectable nominations but none won anything, this years winners are much better apart from Will Young and Robbie Williams(I always thought Radio 2 listeners had better taste).

Joss Stone for best female was ok although how she won best Urban is beyond me.
Franz Ferdinand deservedly won best rock and group although should have been nominated and won best single
Keane walked off with best album and best newcomers
Gwen Stefani got best international female, don't agre with it, should have been Kelis
Avril Lavigne should have got best pop act but it went to McFly
Will Young getting british single was a disgrace
Muse got live act
Eminem got best international male and a couple of years ago i would have agreed but at least it wasn't bloody Usher
Scissor Sisters win international album, breakthrough and group, the last one probably being the only one should have got.
Robbie Williams won yet another vote to prove once again how dumb the voting public are, if thats the best song of the last 25 years i'll jump off a cliff.
Bob Geldof gets the outstanding contribution to music award, wrongly i think, musically he's not done much in a long time and if anything this is just for his charity work.

Overall it's a big improvement on previous years and i'll be looking forward to next years Brits.
Thu 10/02/05 at 16:36
Regular
"The definitive tag"
The Brits annoy the hell out of me.
Thu 10/02/05 at 16:35
"period drama"
They should have won everything.
And there were a load of new bands last year that should have got praise. Replace Keane and Frnaz Ferdinand for The Killers and Futureheads.
Thu 10/02/05 at 16:30
I reckon The Libs should have won the two they were in for.
Thu 10/02/05 at 16:12
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> You've clearly never listened to Mos Def, The Roots, Talib Kweli,
> Kanye West, Common, Pharoahe Monch amongst many others.
>
> The majority of mainstream stuff is one big cliche, but like with
> many types of music you have to look further than what's in the pop
> charts.

You're right but i can only listen to whats around though, i don't go looking for stuff, anything out of the mainstream is exactly that and will only influence the minority who can then take it a step further which is what i'm on about, i was looking for whats next. If those you've mentioned haven't taken that step already the chances are they wont and it will be those they influence who will come up with the next big thing.
Thu 10/02/05 at 16:04
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> You've clearly never listened to Mos Def, The Roots, Talib Kweli,
> Kanye West, Common, Pharoahe Monch amongst many others.

most of those have been around for quite a while already. Hardly what you can call new artists

Mos Def released his first album in 94 i believe
Roots have been around since 93
Talib Kweli had his first album out in 98 with Mos Def but had been around before that
Common's been going since about 92
Pharoahe Monch is even older as he's been around since the late 80's
Thu 10/02/05 at 15:50
Regular
Kawada wrote:
> Flock wrote:
> The whole rap scene has become just really horribly cliched, every
> video is the same, the message is the same, no-one has anything new
> to say or a new way to say it,

You've clearly never listened to Mos Def, The Roots, Talib Kweli, Kanye West, Common, Pharoahe Monch amongst many others.

The majority of mainstream stuff is one big cliche, but like with many types of music you have to look further than what's in the pop charts.
Thu 10/02/05 at 15:46
Regular
The Brits are a load of crap anyway.
Thu 10/02/05 at 15:45
Regular
FinalFantasyFanatic wrote:
> rap lite

Aha, that's the best phrase I've heard all week (And it's already Thursday!)
Thu 10/02/05 at 15:28
Regular
Angels winning an award for anything is a sodding disgrace.
Thu 10/02/05 at 15:24
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Kawada wrote:
> Exactly my point, you can barely distinguish the rappers now from
> their songs. Every song, it's the same thing. I think the only ones
> today who are trying to say something are Nas and Kanye West. Back in
> the old days of hip hop you had artists like Gang Starr, Public
> Enemy, N.W.A, KRS, Slick Rick etc who had a message

Blame the kids, when they adopted gangsta rap as an ideal it became stuck, the artists didn't want to move on from that because they had a market, gangsta rap has become like boyband pop(a strange comparison i know), image based, cliched rubbish and a shadow of the artform it's supposed to be.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.