GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The problem with half life 2"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Half-Life 2'.
Sun 28/11/04 at 17:45
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Is that the damn thing is too good. We've been spoilt.

Half the time, I'm looking at the screen in slack jawed wonderment.............

"there is no place in this enterprise for a rougue physicist" Bwhahahahaha, quote of the year.
Sun 28/11/04 at 17:45
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Is that the damn thing is too good. We've been spoilt.

Half the time, I'm looking at the screen in slack jawed wonderment.............

"there is no place in this enterprise for a rougue physicist" Bwhahahahaha, quote of the year.
Sun 28/11/04 at 17:59
Regular
"A man with a stick"
I’m already finding it hard to play other, lesser FPS. Pacific Assault for example, decent enough game, but it just lacks something, that something special that Half Life 2 doled out in spades.

Until STALKER and F.E.A.R. I doubt I’ll be quite as satisfied with a FPS as I have been with Half Life. Which is why I’m playing it again.
Sun 28/11/04 at 18:02
Regular
"gsybe you!"
To be absoloutely honest, half the time I'm not bothered with it at all. The other half, it's great. But until I've finished it, I have to say it's not all that fantasticly amazing, but still great.
Sun 28/11/04 at 18:15
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Ive become quite addicted to it.
Sun 28/11/04 at 18:36
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Cycloon wrote:
> To be absoloutely honest, half the time I'm not bothered with it at
> all. The other half, it's great. But until I've finished it, I have
> to say it's not all that fantasticly amazing, but still great.

Fair do's, but to me it's the greatest title I've ever played in over 25 years gaming. Constantly amazing and technologicaly astounding. The first game to make physics an integral part of the experience.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl is my next, but can it live up to Hl2? Doubt it.........
Brilliant ending. Reminds me of the opening to half life. Only at the end of the game. Slash jawed wonderment............

To be honest, I'm pretty p!ssed off that it's over and done with. It's like first impressions. There's only one.
Sun 28/11/04 at 20:23
Regular
Yeah, I have given up with Halo 2, not as a direct result as I was finding it really dull anyway, Half-Life 2 just compounded the problem.

It is awesome and yes it has to be the best FPS of all time. It is just one hell of an amazing game. Tried the new Medal of Honor demo, average. Tried Men of Valor single player demo, dull.

I am sure at some points I wou,d have enjoyed those two to some degree but no. Valve have developed a game that pretty much blows everything else out of the water.
Mon 29/11/04 at 14:28
"I love yo... lamp."
Half Life 2 single player is immense. That I accept. Better than Halo 2. In a way at this sort of time they complemented each other brilliantly, because one is an excellent single player game, the other an excellent multiplayer game.

For me personally though, Halo 2 multiplayer > Half Life 2 single player.
Mon 29/11/04 at 14:45
Regular
"gsybe you!"
It hasn't astounded me in any particular way, this is the thing.

I have to say the best bits are not when fighting, but when you're in the labs talking to people and stuff - that's great. The combat is really good etc, and the physics is great, but I haven't found it to be quite as amazing as people seem to be saying.

For instance, the game is too traditional for its own good in many respects - I actually feel the health system and guns (i.e, you can carry 6+ of the things) to be rubbish now. Halo's best thing was the fact you had to think about stuff, and I'm not saying Halo is better, as it quite cearly isn't, neither Halo 2, but Half Life 2 goes leaps ahead in some respects and seems to have forgotten the rest - it's stuck in Doom-mode for Christs sake!

Another gripe I have is the narrative. I'm not stupid enough to say 'oh but there's not a story', because there is...but it only appears very rarely, and even when discovering what's going for yourself, a la Metroid, it's not well done. I loved the start...and the labs and stuff, but the bits inbetween aren't story. It's run and gun until the next section, and the next, and the next. As such, it just feels like filler - albeit good filler, but not what a game like this should have. You simply spend a good hour or so kicking ass, and then suddenly the game remembers to do something and unravels a tiny piece of the story. I obviously haven't finished it yet, but after a good many chapters, the game hasn't got past the 'Freeman's back, and he's being chased' stage. After hours of gameplay! Coupled with the distinct lack of in-game narrative discovery (bla), this simply sucks!

Like I said, I haven't finished it, so this is a half-impression (excuse me), but still.........the AI at times is also the same as other games, when it's supposed to be absoloutely genius...it isn't...? (This is on Normal by the way). ALSO, the physics are grand and all, but again, it's limited - they are great, but you can only use 'that' box, or all the conveniently placed saw-blades. It's great fun, and maybe i expected too much, but it's not what I was thinking it would be.

Still, I want to finish it, and it's great fun most of the time.
Mon 29/11/04 at 15:40
Regular
I have no idea what you are on about as far as the physics go. You can pretty much pick anything up in the whole game.

Difficulty, play it on Hard, simple as, this sharpens the AI.

It is the best FPS, bar none.
Mon 29/11/04 at 15:47
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Lobbing a tin of white emulsion at a zombie has induced many fits of laughter.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.