GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The problem with half life 2"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Half-Life 2'.
Sun 28/11/04 at 17:45
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Is that the damn thing is too good. We've been spoilt.

Half the time, I'm looking at the screen in slack jawed wonderment.............

"there is no place in this enterprise for a rougue physicist" Bwhahahahaha, quote of the year.
Mon 13/12/04 at 20:18
Regular
"Plain Misunderstood"
However,
> somebody mentioned OOT further down - the only game I've ever played
> that had be completely and utterly obsessed from the very first
> second - HL2, for all its ingenuity and new stuff is both the future
> and traditional, immersive and seperate.....I don't know how else to
> describe it...
>
Lol.... that was me again.

And I still stick by my points. The guns were fun, but seemed generic ie, machine gun, shotgun, close combat.

And the game has 14 chapters. It must have taken me less than that in hours to finish.

And the physics got boring sometimes. If we'd had the ultra grav gun earlier it would have been better, but we didn't, and a large section fo that game just felt so 'seen it before'.
Sun 12/12/04 at 23:06
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
Domaye wrote:
> Someone wrote
> I thought the 20 or so hours I spent playing it through (for the
> first time) was quite long actually... Longest FPS i've ever played.
> Aswell as playing it through again, it's took up PLENTY of my time.
>
>
> what difficulty did you have it on i had it on medium apart from one
> point at the start where i has it on easy...no idea how long it took
> me but if it was 10 id be slightly surprised..felt quite short, but
> when you come out of the cinema after watching the first LOTR i
> thought that felt like 1 hour...i need a watch.

I've had it since the day after it came out and I haven't completed it yet :\
Can't be far off though...
Sun 12/12/04 at 22:30
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Domaye wrote:
> what difficulty did you have it on i had it on medium apart from one
> point at the start where i has it on easy...no idea how long it took
> me but if it was 10 id be slightly surprised..felt quite short, but
> when you come out of the cinema after watching the first LOTR i
> thought that felt like 1 hour...i need a watch.

What's the point in rushing it? you miss all those cool little details.
Sun 12/12/04 at 22:30
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Cycloon wrote:
> Look, I realise I'll get an absoloute kicking (in text anyway) for
> all this

Fret not, most of here can respect others opinions, so long as the avoid the brain-dead “This game sux” remarks made by people who don’t bother to explain their reasons for thinking such.

Me? I loved every minute of it. I loved exploring the environments, I loved the physics, I loved how the story was there for me to find rather than be sat down and told it by the developers and I love the prospect of seeing dozens of mods use HL2’s technology in new, exciting ways.

I've played many FPS, some pretty goodd, others beyond bad, Half Life 2 is one of the finest I've played though, it kept me gripped from begginning to end. I realise it has problems, but for games this good I tend not to dwell on them. Why spoil it.
Sun 12/12/04 at 22:24
Regular
"\\"
I actually had it on easy... I thought it was on medium, but only found out at the end that it wasn't. So now i AM playing it through on medium, taking the same amount of time. Less time on actually progressing, more time on messing about.
Sun 12/12/04 at 22:19
Regular
"-_-"
Someone wrote
> I thought the 20 or so hours I spent playing it through (for the
> first time) was quite long actually... Longest FPS i've ever played.
> Aswell as playing it through again, it's took up PLENTY of my time.
>

what difficulty did you have it on i had it on medium apart from one point at the start where i has it on easy...no idea how long it took me but if it was 10 id be slightly surprised..felt quite short, but when you come out of the cinema after watching the first LOTR i thought that felt like 1 hour...i need a watch.
Sun 12/12/04 at 22:13
Regular
"gsybe you!"
The Combine assault rifle has the coolest reload ever.

In that it takes about 0.5 seconds and BAM BAM BAM, off it goes again.

I haven't played this for days now. Simply because I'm not bothered with it. It's great and ingenius in parts, and somewhat pedestrian and formulaic in others. I'm sorry, but it really is. Take away the gravgun and what do you have? The physics are terrific fun, and it's an outstanding game in how it simply bends the rules. However, somebody mentioned OOT further down - the only game I've ever played that had be completely and utterly obsessed from the very first second - HL2, for all its ingenuity and new stuff is both the future and traditional, immersive and seperate.....I don't know how else to describe it...

Look, I realise I'll get an absoloute kicking (in text anyway) for all this, but I cannot see the fuss most of the time. The physics and interaction is great. But the narrative is atrocious, really is - I understand narratives, I'm not some fool who needs a cut-scene to tell me what's going on, but the entire Airboat----> Ravenholm -----> Highway 17 ------> Sandtraps section was pretty much run and gun, excluding the tiny bits of story and character interaction. Yes, this run and gun is made all the more dynamic with the grav gun and physics and vehicle and all the ways of interaction with the environment, but it was nothing truly great, nothing that simply made me play all through the night because I could not get enough.

Then again, in parts it's truly magnificent. In others, it's bleedin' Dark Forces all over again. Most of the time it's a highly competent, albeit slightly jerky (my PC and that silly glitch rather than anything else) FPS, with some revolutionary magic and some truly disappointing bits inbetween.
Sun 12/12/04 at 20:23
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Don't forget the Magnum. **BOOM** then marvel at seeing a combine troop fly backwards from the force of the bullet. excellent.
Sun 12/12/04 at 20:18
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
cipro wrote:
> Alexrose1uk wrote:
> Guns- The guns felt quite generic/ soulless to me, dunno why...

Generic, aye, but I've never heard a videogame gun cough like that shotgun. And the Combine assult rifle? Damn............. Marvelous.
Sun 12/12/04 at 20:00
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Alexrose1uk wrote:
> Guns- The guns felt quite generic/ soulless to me, dunno why...

I respect peoples opinions and all, but that comment nearly gave me a heart attack. Yeah so the game has the usual assortment of shotgun, machine gun, pistol, blah blah blah, but the Gravgun, generic and soulless??????? It’s one of the finest tools to ever be included in any game, ever.

Which brings me on to why I like Half Life 2 so much. The physics. I love them, going through the game again I’m often spending more time playing around with objects than I am with actually progressing. Building a huge stack of boxes to try and get to a ledge I have no hope of reaching, why I am doing this? Well, it’s simple, because I can. No other game has allowed for this type of interaction before, just the shear volume of things that can be picked up and flung about the place is amazing.

Half Life 2 is a great game, but it’s more than that, it’s a playground where I can mess about with the games physics much like I used to mess about with a box full of Lego when I was younger. Throwing bricks at barrels to knock them down slopes or into water may not have any purpose, but damn, it sure is fun. With the gravgun I can do more, making me feel more resourceful by killing enemies with objects that just happen to be lying around. That’s one of the reasons Ravenholm ranks as one of the finest levels I’ve every played in FPS, an entire sequence designed round the games biggest, best feature and weapon.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.