GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Onions please"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 21/01/05 at 18:45
Regular
"NULL"
Any initial thoughts on: [URL]http://rallyxpics.xyme.net[/URL]. Cheers.
Fri 21/01/05 at 21:55
Regular
"Bicycle"
Actually, not just that. I'm being a bit lame, but... What exactly is a content managment system? (Ugh, I sound like such a n00b...)

I mean, obviously those like PhpNuke etc, are all pretty much Title here, Main stuff there, Links here... But ya know.

Do you allow them to customize the layout? The pictures? Or just to upload content to the main divs? Change the navigation?

But you know... It would seem silly to allow them to do all the layout and updating, I mean, that's where you make money, but...

Well, I dunno. Thanks :D.
Fri 21/01/05 at 21:51
Regular
"Bicycle"
Wow... And you can do that in how long?
Fri 21/01/05 at 20:55
Regular
"NULL"
Coin wrote:
> But... What kind of back-end stuff DO you do?

It's gonna have a complete CMS behind it, membership database, allow photos to be uploaded, auto-watermarked and have a thumbnail generated, monitor the size of the site, allow him to track orders online, etc. Quite a complex system.
Fri 21/01/05 at 20:54
Regular
"NULL"
What I did was to produce the first few sites I did very cheaply - I did the first commercial site for £50, plus I was working on a site for my town in conjunction with the Town Council totally for free (amounted to about 350 hours in total over several years).

This helped me to get my foot in the door - I had a site to show clients what I could do.
Fri 21/01/05 at 20:53
Regular
"Bicycle"
Nimco wrote:
> Yeah, it includes all the design, front end coding (e.g. (x)HTML, CSS)
> and the backend stuff (PHP and MySQL) as well as integration with an
> online payment company.
>
> Your best bet is to learn PHP and MySQL - invaluable tools which make
> your life easier and your customers sites more powerful.

I know quite a bit of it...

But... What kind of back-end stuff DO you do?
Fri 21/01/05 at 20:51
Regular
I'm thinking of doing something similar to you, just getting the message across to potential clients could prove to be difficult...
Fri 21/01/05 at 20:48
Regular
"NULL"
Yeah, it includes all the design, front end coding (e.g. (x)HTML, CSS) and the backend stuff (PHP and MySQL) as well as integration with an online payment company.

Your best bet is to learn PHP and MySQL - invaluable tools which make your life easier and your customers sites more powerful.
Fri 21/01/05 at 20:46
Regular
"Bicycle"
And does that include back-end stuff?

I mean, I have absolutely no clue about to even start doing back-end coding. Any tips? I really only know XHTML and CSS...
Fri 21/01/05 at 20:04
Regular
"NULL"
My site is: [URL]http://www.knight-sites.co.uk[/URL].

The amount I get paid for a job varies hugely - this one is quite a big task (1 month timescale though - eek!) and is in the order of £500.
Fri 21/01/05 at 19:58
Regular
"Bicycle"
Oh, also, what's your site?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.