GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"My Desktop. 2005."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 07/01/05 at 15:17
Regular
"Dr. Chad Niga"
[URL]http://homepage.mac.com/doctorperry/Sceen.png[/URL]

I just got a Mac, and made a new wallpaper last night.
To be honest, i think the whole mac desktop looks alot better then Windows.

What do you think?
Sun 09/01/05 at 00:41
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
Just checked and the top spec G5 is $3000.
With a 4-pipeline GPU, the performance won't even be close to what you can achieve with a PC, for less.
Sun 09/01/05 at 00:46
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
Chad Niga wrote:
> [URL]http://homepage.mac.com/doctorperry/Sceen.png[/URL]
>
> I just got a Mac, and made a new wallpaper last night.
> To be honest, i think the whole mac desktop looks alot better then
> Windows.
>
> What do you think?

I think that how your desktop looks is up to you, and it doesn't matter what operating system you're on. I could easily make my Windows desktop look like that if I wanted.

I also think that you must fancy Steve Vai.
Sun 09/01/05 at 00:48
Regular
"Dr. Chad Niga"
Making your desktop look like that would only make your PC slow down. And it wouldnt look any way near as clear as on a mac.

And yes, i do fancy steve vai.
Sun 09/01/05 at 00:50
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
Chad Niga wrote:
> Buy a console you fcuking fax machine.

but consoles don't have the games I want...

> If you had a mac or even knew what you were talking about, then maybe
> i would listen.

Why do I need a Mac to know that even the top-range Macs have rubbish graphics cards for gameplaying? All I have to do is look at the spec to see that.

I agree that Macs are superior for many things, but to say they can do everything a PC can do but faster is ridiculous. No Mac on the market can offer anywhere near the performance in games that PCs can.

I'd like you to point out where I "don't know what I'm talking about", because everything I've said is solid fact.
Sun 09/01/05 at 00:53
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
Chad Niga wrote:
> Making your desktop look like that would only make your PC slow down.

Possibly, possibly not.
I know someone who runs their PC with a Mac-style desktop and I've never noticed it to be any slower than using the standard GUI.

> And it wouldnt look any way near as clear as on a mac.

Er, why not?
If you're using the same screen resolution and the images are the same resolution, I don't see why it would make any difference at all...
Sun 09/01/05 at 00:54
Regular
"Dr. Chad Niga"
If you had a mac with halo, you would see how amazing it runs.
There is absolutly no slow down even running on battery.

It's perfectly smooth, and you cant really go around saying its rubbish when you havent even used it.
Sun 09/01/05 at 01:01
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
Chad Niga wrote:
> If you had a mac with halo, you would see how amazing it runs.
> There is absolutly no slow down even running on battery.

I'm not talking about lack of slowdown.
I didn't get any slowdown in Halo with an Athlon XP2000+ and a Radeon 8500, so I would be very worried if there was slowdown on a G5 with a Radeon 9600XT.

> It's perfectly smooth, and you cant really go around saying its
> rubbish when you havent even used it.

I'm not saying it's rubbish, I'm saying that it's comparitively rubbish.
Your statement that Macs can do everything that PCs can but faster = not true.

The G5 CPU is certainly faster than PC-platform CPUs, but the highest graphics card available, a 9600XT, is a low-to-midrange card on the PC.

It has 128-bit memory at 500-600MHz (can't remember exactly) and only 4 pixel pipelines. That's slower than my 9700 Pro, and the 9700 Pro is technology that's over 2 years old.
Something like the Radeon X800 has 16 pixel pipelines and 256-bit memory running at around 1GHz, likewise with the GeForce 6800GT.

Therefore, it is an mpossibility that a Mac can output the same framerates as a high-end PC, since it simply doesn't have the technology to do so.

If you were to measure the framerate a top-end G5 was outputting on Half Life 2, and the framerate produced by a top-end PC, the PC would win by a substantial margin.
Sun 09/01/05 at 01:04
Regular
"Dr. Chad Niga"
Cant your eyes cant physically see the differance beyond 60hz?

Whilst your trying to see every frame on a PC the mac would be running smoother and faster.
Sun 09/01/05 at 01:07
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
Chad Niga wrote:
> Cant your eyes cant physically see the differance beyond 60hz?

I think it's 72, but that's not the point.
YOU might not be able to tell the difference, but that doesn't mean that there ISN'T a difference.

"Macs can do everything PCs can, but faster"

Does it appear smooth to you? Yes, and that's good.
BUT, is it actually faster? No. It's slower.

Therefore, Macs CAN'T do everything faster than PCs, because they don't harness the same technology in certain areas, in exactly the same way PCs lack the abilities in areas that the Mac excels.

Arguing over which is better is pointless, because they each have different strong points. THAT is what I'm trying to get into your head.
Sun 09/01/05 at 01:09
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
Chad Niga wrote:
> Whilst your trying to see every frame on a PC the mac would be
> running smoother and faster.

How do you work that one out?

If someone asked me if I wanted to play a game on a machine ~50fps, or on one ~160fps, I know which I'd choose...

The PC's framerate is higher, therefore the Mac is 'smoother and faster'?

???

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.