GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The shortage of PS2's - how?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 07/12/04 at 19:44
Regular
"'ahh a nice sweety!"
This has nothing to do with the 'CUBE' forum but just wondered how the heck there could be a reported shortage of PS2's??? I thought every thing that breathed on this planet had a PS2?
Thu 09/12/04 at 16:27
Regular
"thursdayton!"
fragout123 wrote:
> If you look after your stuff, it lasts, period!

Indicative I think of the care of the majority of PS2 owners.
Thu 09/12/04 at 16:26
Regular
"thursdayton!"
Dringo wrote:
> B: There was a statistic about 1/100 or something, maybe 3/200 PS2's
> are unable to read the disc after 2 years and believe it or not that
> is an utterly terrible statistic.

Agreed. If you think.. actually I have to be honest, I've no funking idea however many gazillions of PS2's have been sold. Say 20 million this year, that's 300,000 PS2s, which be alot.
Thu 09/12/04 at 16:21
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Had a PS2 since October 2002, and it broke a few months ago. It wasn't as if I threw it about or anything like that - the disc-reading laser just eventually wore out, which is what apparently happens to a lot of people. For example, other than me I know 3 people who have been effected by this, as well as having noticed numerous complaints on the internet of discs not working all the time (which is exactly my situation as well). And if (even 1 in 100) PS2s are breaking after a couple of years then that just isn't good enough.

I've had my N64 since (about) April 1997, and it's NEVER failed to play games or had any problems. Over 7 years, and it's also survived a number of falls from table to floor, but still works perfectly. Gamecube has never crashed either.

In terms of length of life, Nintendo's consoles > Sony's.
Thu 09/12/04 at 10:57
Regular
"Anger leads to hate"
Well i've had mine (PS2) since release day, and she works fine. Just clean the fan now and again, but thats it. Similarly i've had both the GC and Xbox for nearly 2 years with no problems. If you look after your stuff, it lasts, period!
Wed 08/12/04 at 22:53
Regular
Ashman wrote:
> ...except, Dringo, the fact that they don't break down "all the
> time".

A: Yell at Namco or Capcom then. I know a few people that have had PS2's go faulty.

> I know about 1/10 PS2 owners who's console has broken, and that was
> because it fell off a shelf onto a wooden floor. It plays a game for
> about 20 mins and then shuts off. And he hasn't bought a new one.

B: There was a statistic about 1/100 or something, maybe 3/200 PS2's are unable to read the disc after 2 years and believe it or not that is an utterly terrible statistic. Not just go wrong but the same bloody fault just after the warrenty.
Wed 08/12/04 at 18:00
Regular
"Im a Daddy :-)"
gerrid wrote:
> I know about 5 people with PS2s and 3 of them are "well
> jippy" and, pretty much, don't work any more. They certainly
> won't EVER play DVDs again.
>
> Compare that with 1 person who has had a faulty GC (munn, and I don't
> even KNOW him), and 0 people with a faulty Xbox. Obviously that's
> just my experience, but say that 1/100 PS2s break after 2 years - I'd
> say that's too many.

ERM....I had a faulty Xbox. 2 times it stopped working! I now have a new one. My gamecube has been 100% since the release day. (apart from our house rabbit chewing through the pad leads):)
Wed 08/12/04 at 16:54
Regular
"bit of a brain"
I know about 5 people with PS2s and 3 of them are "well jippy" and, pretty much, don't work any more. They certainly won't EVER play DVDs again.

Compare that with 1 person who has had a faulty GC (munn, and I don't even KNOW him), and 0 people with a faulty Xbox. Obviously that's just my experience, but say that 1/100 PS2s break after 2 years - I'd say that's too many.
Wed 08/12/04 at 16:18
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
...except, Dringo, the fact that they don't break down "all the time".

I know about 1/10 PS2 owners who's console has broken, and that was because it fell off a shelf onto a wooden floor. It plays a game for about 20 mins and then shuts off. And he hasn't bought a new one.
Wed 08/12/04 at 15:36
Regular
No Capcom and Namco were being quizzed about whether they actually make money from the Gamecube as they've been supporting it a lot by Famitsu PS2 and they said that the PS2 sales do not reflect the Ps2 users, they say the PS2 is prone to breaking down and most people, particulary Japanese people, prefer to buy a new one than get it fixed.

It was all over the place, some people on here probably remember... it is where the whole "PS2 break down all the time" thing stemmed from.
Wed 08/12/04 at 15:27
Regular
Dringo wrote:
> ßulle†† wrote:
>
> All this "All PS2s break" malarky is a load of crap
> dreamed
> up by Fanboys.
>
> Namco and Capcom said it actually.
>
> Damn them fanboys who release more PS2 games than any other.

They said "All PS2s break"?

Sure they did.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.