GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"How do you Forget and Move-On?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 24/12/04 at 12:06
Regular
"Long time no see!"
When you've had strong feelings for someone over a long period of time and then, you realise all hope is likely to be worth sod all when it comes down to the fact she's very happy as she is and things may never change, no matter how hard you rub that magic lamp...

How exactly do you go about moving-on from this one fixation to leave it all behind in the past?

That is, basically, the situation I'm in now. Having realised she's more than just 'happy' with her current situation, she'll soon be moving out on her own and everything... Despite her "reputation", there maybe nothing left for me worth fighting for.

When I've been in this kind of situation before, I don't think I've properly "forgotten" about the girl in question. I have learnt how to move on. I understand feelings cannot simply 'die' in an instant, but there must surely be a way of dealing with it and changing your perspective?

The people I know are cut short of ideas on this matter, having barely been this far, this seriously themselves. Ideas I've heard are, generally, ones I just want to forget. You know... Drinking never solves anything and only makes it worse. Is f***ing the very next pretty thing you see really gonna take your mind of it all, if it's meaningless in itself?

How do you escape from these feelings at the end of a meaningful relationshup that breaks down into a million-and-one tiny pieces?

I've seen how hard it can hit people when it comes to divorce if they don't deal with it properly. Very different situation here, I know that. But my 'Confidence' and such has always been very fragile. The slightest crack could lead to social problems, or something, with me...

So, how DO you deal with it?
How HAVE you dealt with things?

What on Earth do I do?
Sat 25/12/04 at 12:42
Regular
"you've got a beard"
Puddin™ wrote:
> There has been one or 2 blokes who i never thought i could live with
> out.
>
> The first one,well i told him not to talk to me no more so thats how
> i got over him.

heed the advice of ms. puddin, it does actually work.
it's also a lot healthier in the longrun if it hurts that much, it's just easier to not have anything to do with them. and yes, i speak from experience so i'll vouch for it :)
Sat 25/12/04 at 12:57
Regular
"Puerile Shagging"
Puddin™ wrote:
> Time is a great healer...

Unless you have an STD in which case you're better off with a special cream
Sat 25/12/04 at 15:48
Regular
"leaf it aaaaht"
English_Bloke wrote:
> Puddin™ wrote:
> Time is a great healer...
>
> Unless you have an STD in which case you're better off with a special
> cream

But I haven't got any have I?
Sat 25/12/04 at 20:31
"I love yo... lamp."
Solskjær wrote:
> You know... Drinking never solves anything and only makes it worse.

See, here you would be wrong. I too was in a rather similar situation recently. My solution was a 38 hour drinking binge that ended with my deputy/best friend dragging me home. After waking up feeling just a tad worse for wear things didn't hurt as much. I don't know why not, but they didn't.

Really however, the best way to move on is to realise that there are other wonderful women out there, ones that although different, you could be just as happy with. Mere words I know, but still true. A few days after The Binge From Hell, I ended up chatting to some girl. OK, so nothing happened there. But for those few hours, as we sat and just talked about life and everything, it dawned on me that there are others out there, there is more than just one woman for you. And that gives you perspective, and then it doesn't hurt so much. I still miss my ex, but I could move on now.
Sun 26/12/04 at 01:02
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Your Honour wrote:
> Masturbation never solves anything....

BBC News begs to differ: [URL]http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3072021.stm[/URL]
Sun 26/12/04 at 10:10
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
you can never forget, but only move on.

*shrug* crap advice, but true.
Sun 26/12/04 at 12:17
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Notorious Biggles wrote:
> But for those few hours, as we sat and just talked about life and
> everything, it dawned on me that there are others out there, there
> is more than just one woman for you

Quoting for truth. The notion that each of us have "one true love" somewhere else in the world is a Disney fantasy.
Sun 26/12/04 at 12:32
"High polygon count"
Been there in the past.

What got me through it?

Good family, good friends, and keeping occupied.

It still took a hell of a long time, but one day I thought about the person concerned and realised... "Hey, it doesn't hurt any more!"
Sun 26/12/04 at 15:41
Regular
Ah, Solskjaer, it's been a long road, are we nearly at the end of it?

I wasted 2 years of my life in a similar way. It can really sap your self esteem can't it? I hope you make a clean break.

Find someone else. I've said it before, and I stand by it. Meaningless sex will help with the self esteem, though perhaps not the moving on, but an easy-going relationship with someone - even if you don't have particulalrly strong feelings for them to begin with - will help get you back on track.

There were 2 girls from my past weighing on my mind. There was one who was a good friend, who I lost touch with. About a year on I realised I kind of loved her. Then there was the one I wasted a couple of years on, quite similar to your situation.

The first one took a couple of relationships to get past, and now, though I still miss her, I don't long for her in the same way.
The second one - a bit of no-strings female interaction (from flirting to casual sex, it's all good) helped rebuild my self-esteem, and a good relationship put her behind me.

I still think about each of them sometimes, I don't think you ever 'forget' them completely (nor would I want to really), but neither of them holds me back or messes me up any more. There's no more negative impact.

A couple of weeks ago I was teetering on the brink of what could have become another 'K'-type situation for myself, but through being aware of what could happen if I let myself slip into that situation again (and in honesty, a bit of luck finding someone else - always the key ;^) ), I've avoided it.

To offer you some advice on avoiding it happening in the future, I'd say that you have to keep moving forward with a girl - certainly until you're 'in a relationship'.
You meet
Then you talk to her a bit
You flirt
You kiss her
You start dating her

If you get stuck for too long at any one stage, you either have to move forward or stop trying for her, abandon the situation and look for someone else.
If things stagnate at one stage before you're in a relationship with her, you have a very slim chance of ever getting her (and despite what you may feel at the time, she's not really that special, there are a thousand equally good women waiting to meet you), and a high chance of getting stuck in another K situation. Which you really don't need.

If you want to talk things out, my msn is huw41 @hotmail.com (take out the space - I think my breaking it up might stop crawler program things picking up my address for junk e-mail.
Sun 26/12/04 at 15:49
Regular
When I was talking about the moving on, not getting stuck at one stage, it can happen as quickly as you like, but as a very rough rule of thumb, try not to be at any one stage for longer than a week, 2 at most.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.