GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Dead or Alive: Ultimate impressions..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Dead Or Alive'.
Sun 12/12/04 at 21:24
Regular
Just received this today which was a bonus with both Vampire: Bloodlines and Knights of the Old Republic: Sith Lords not due to arrive until Monday now.

First off, best fighting game ever purely based on the fact that from the few hours I have played it has managed to improve upon Dead or Alive 3 in pretty much every way.

For me it is all about the Survival Mode. In the original I spent our upon hour perfecting Survival until I had finished both single and tag survival with 100 straight wins in both. Unlike other Survival style games the opponents just keep jumping in leaving no time for victory leaps and all that crap, just pure fighting up to 100 kills and it is bloody hard.

Visually the second disc which contains the re-vamped Dead or Alive games delivers two games into one with mind blowing visual content which is pretty much what I expected as Team Ninja really do know how to get the most out of the Xbox hardware. Looks very similar to Dead or Alive 3 with very very few noticeable differences.

Audio wise again there isn't much difference to Dead or Alive 3, no custom sound tracks which is a bit disappointing for he massive Survival Mode which can last for bloody ages if you take your time so instead you are left with crap rock songs and just the usual sound effects, nothing outstanding.

Online play is decent, runs without any lag and there were a fair few people playing it which is decent.

Haven't really played the original on disc 1 either on or offline as there isn't anything here I haven't played or seen before.

Overall excellent, really top stuff!
Mon 20/12/04 at 12:46
Regular
XB Gamer you're a mouth breathing retard.

Please fook of and never show your ugly mug around here ever again.
Mon 20/12/04 at 12:36
Regular
"Gamertag Number 10"
The crapest game i have ever played this doa is the worst, DOA3 is much better than the ultimate, Better graphics, Venues, The movie at the start
My vote for DOA ULT 8.0, DOA3 8.5.
Mon 20/12/04 at 11:45
Regular
Last night was quality. This f**k face American with sperm shaped ears had a voice mask on and was acting like a wart gun saying he was the dark mater only in a really geeky and lame way. This other American was just ripping the hell out of him verbally but I can safely say there isn't a better game out there on LIVE for smashing the hell out of someone and feeling good for it.

12 hours in, a fair few costumes unlocked and definitely my favourite fighting game quite simply ever, everything about it smacks of highly polished and quality development. Team Ninja really do own as a company and they certainly know how to get the best out of Xbox hardware.

From the much-improved Story mode to the crazy addictive Survival and Time Attack modes this game rocks major style. LIVE play kicks ass as well, best LIVE game since Pandora Tomorrow.

Dead or Alive: Code Chronus is now quite possibly my mot anticipated title.
Sun 19/12/04 at 00:16
Regular
It doesn't work, first hand experience ;)

He is one of my favourites for Survival Mode but I think I have won about 1 in 7 attempts online. His moves are really easy to counter and he is really predictable. I learnt pretty much every move he had from Dead or Alive 3 and nothing at all has changed for Dead or Alive Ultimate and he still has the same faults.

The best ones for online are the unorthodox fighters with really strange fighting styles. Unfortunately these are also the most difficult to master.

Online play is quite excellent, up there with Pandora Tomorrow for sheer fun and pick up and play value. Tag battles are pointless, played this American f**k ass earlier tonight in a tag battle and because you can switch so easily between them and build up enormous combos it is pretty much impossible to beat the person who gets the first kick/punch in.

It seems as though the same crowd play it on LIVE as I noticed similar people online tonight as I did last night and there are some bloody freaks in and amongst, unbelievably difficult to beat.
Sat 18/12/04 at 19:12
Regular
I'll be getting this game just to be that Bruce Lee style guy and Jeet Kun-doe fat Americans asses online.
Sat 18/12/04 at 13:43
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> Not out until February.

As you obviously must know, where there's a will there's a way.

:)
Fri 17/12/04 at 21:41
Regular
Not out until February.

Played 7 hours so far in Survival Mode alone. A hell of a lot tougher this time.
Fri 17/12/04 at 19:03
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
I'll be getting Ultimate either next week or the week after. DOA3 is still my favourite beat-em-up so I hope Ultimate will be even better.
Thu 16/12/04 at 08:24
Regular
Online is awesome, fricking hilarious.

You get these tw*t a*ses who unlock the Story Mode boss and just use him all the time when playing online. Now when I say the boss is ridiculously difficult and over-powering I am under estimating a little and you don't even need to know wehich button is punch and which is kick to win a fight within 10 seconds, it is that crazy.

Anyway, just for the hell of it I joined a game where everyone was the boss and guess what? I was called a "cheat" because their lazy fat American co*l pits were getting whipped by the 'Crumpet boy'. I remember now what LIVE was like when it was actually fun to play for the first time since early Pandora Tomorrow.

Conclusion, LIVE is full of American teenage spoilt brats but regardless of this some games are just so damn fun to play.
Tue 14/12/04 at 08:56
Regular
Played LIVE for about an hour last night and it is quite excellent, really addictive. My initial impression of it being a popular LIVE title was way off and when I asked the guys who were in the same game they said it was barely played by anyone. That would explain why it only returned 2 games to join!

It plays like a round robin, the winner stays on and the loser gets to choose the map. Everything you have unlocked offline can be used online only you don't have to have unlocked the costumes/characters yourself to play against those who have. There is a ranking system, A to F and you get positive score for winning and a negative score for losing believe it or not, take note Ubisoft because if you screw up Rainbow Six 4 I will send an aids rabid hobo to screw you in the ass!

You get more points for winning that you lose for losing, if that makes sense. Basically you can lose 4 games and win 1 to make the points back easily. The quicker you defeat your opponent the more points you get, the more moves you use the more points you get, it all makes excellent sense!

The host chooses the number of rounds per battle and the time limit per battle. Those who aren't competing can talk to everyone in the room and you just watch the other opponents fight. As mentioned before there is very little lag and this is from playing in the UK on a US host.

The whole thing works really smoothly, load times are electric, the game speed is unbelievable and it is actually a crazy amount of fun to play, especially if you aren't bothered about slapping your c**k out and bashing the bishop over some numerical figures that give them some sort of stature in society, yeah right...

Overall excellent both off and online!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.