GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Dead or Alive: Ultimate impressions..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Dead Or Alive'.
Sun 12/12/04 at 21:24
Regular
Just received this today which was a bonus with both Vampire: Bloodlines and Knights of the Old Republic: Sith Lords not due to arrive until Monday now.

First off, best fighting game ever purely based on the fact that from the few hours I have played it has managed to improve upon Dead or Alive 3 in pretty much every way.

For me it is all about the Survival Mode. In the original I spent our upon hour perfecting Survival until I had finished both single and tag survival with 100 straight wins in both. Unlike other Survival style games the opponents just keep jumping in leaving no time for victory leaps and all that crap, just pure fighting up to 100 kills and it is bloody hard.

Visually the second disc which contains the re-vamped Dead or Alive games delivers two games into one with mind blowing visual content which is pretty much what I expected as Team Ninja really do know how to get the most out of the Xbox hardware. Looks very similar to Dead or Alive 3 with very very few noticeable differences.

Audio wise again there isn't much difference to Dead or Alive 3, no custom sound tracks which is a bit disappointing for he massive Survival Mode which can last for bloody ages if you take your time so instead you are left with crap rock songs and just the usual sound effects, nothing outstanding.

Online play is decent, runs without any lag and there were a fair few people playing it which is decent.

Haven't really played the original on disc 1 either on or offline as there isn't anything here I haven't played or seen before.

Overall excellent, really top stuff!
Sun 12/12/04 at 21:24
Regular
Just received this today which was a bonus with both Vampire: Bloodlines and Knights of the Old Republic: Sith Lords not due to arrive until Monday now.

First off, best fighting game ever purely based on the fact that from the few hours I have played it has managed to improve upon Dead or Alive 3 in pretty much every way.

For me it is all about the Survival Mode. In the original I spent our upon hour perfecting Survival until I had finished both single and tag survival with 100 straight wins in both. Unlike other Survival style games the opponents just keep jumping in leaving no time for victory leaps and all that crap, just pure fighting up to 100 kills and it is bloody hard.

Visually the second disc which contains the re-vamped Dead or Alive games delivers two games into one with mind blowing visual content which is pretty much what I expected as Team Ninja really do know how to get the most out of the Xbox hardware. Looks very similar to Dead or Alive 3 with very very few noticeable differences.

Audio wise again there isn't much difference to Dead or Alive 3, no custom sound tracks which is a bit disappointing for he massive Survival Mode which can last for bloody ages if you take your time so instead you are left with crap rock songs and just the usual sound effects, nothing outstanding.

Online play is decent, runs without any lag and there were a fair few people playing it which is decent.

Haven't really played the original on disc 1 either on or offline as there isn't anything here I haven't played or seen before.

Overall excellent, really top stuff!
Mon 13/12/04 at 08:19
Regular
Played it a bit more late on. Counter moves are now a hell of a lot harder to pull off but they do crazy amounts of damage. Those who played Dead or Alive 3 and were aware of Bayman and co will now be even more impressed with a counter move that pretty much takes out an opponent in one go.

Thankfully the story mode isn't marred by a sh*g boss ending which is a massive boost in itself aside from the awesome Survival and addictive time attack modes.

I will play some more LIVE tonight where I will no doubt meet a load of co*k shank Americans acting like an overweight Bruce Lee. Just hope I can find some other Brit who has it on import.
Mon 13/12/04 at 10:03
"I love yo... lamp."
I found a decent American last night on Halo 2!
Mon 13/12/04 at 10:13
Regular
"xbox-nation.o-wh.co"
Ive only played the demo of, it, was pretty good, nice fluent gameplay, havnt played it on live though.
Mon 13/12/04 at 10:51
Regular
"Aimar...meh"
Notorious Biggles wrote:
> I found a decent American last night on Halo 2!

The last decent American I found on Halo2 complemented me by saying "Your a valiant warrior"

Yes.
Mon 13/12/04 at 10:55
Regular
Tis an over used term. I have a few Americans that are actually pretty decent geezas who are actually calm and nothing like you would imagine an American to be. I can see it living in my LIVE collection for a loooooong time though, I never get bored of the Dead or Alive games. Fluid, non-stop, relentless fighting that pretty much destroys all other fighting games.
Mon 13/12/04 at 11:24
Regular
One thing I can't understand is why it took so long for this to be released.

Disc 1 is just the original Dead or Alive with an uber quick frame rate and online play. The menus, visuals and everything else you can think of are exactly the same so side from the retro feel I can't honestly see why anyone would want to take this on LIVE when Disc 2 kicks so much ass.

Disc 2 is very similar to Dead or Alive 3 only with 1 or 2 new faces (or should that be old faces back from the dead?!) and LIVE play. The arena for Survival is pretty much the same as the one used in Dead or Alive 3, the same goes for the Time Attack mode. The story mode uses the best maps from all 3 games (multi-tiered godlyness) so again there are old maps here with just a graphical haul and a couple of new stuff.

I know Code Chronus is going to be the true sequel to Dead or Alive 3 and that they have been co-developing the two/three games. That considered it seems to have taken an awfully long time to release 2 discs containing only a few new features (LIVE play being the biggest).
Mon 13/12/04 at 15:25
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
So they take a game that you like, but previously had no ability to play anyone in the world, thus making it's lifespan infinite, and make it so that you can play anyone in the world, thus making it's lifespan infinite, and you're still not happy?

Snuggly said it best, and I'll repeat it: you people don't even know you're born.
Mon 13/12/04 at 15:41
Regular
Heh!

Don't get me wrong on that, it kicks ass, quality game. It does feel like a sequel purely on the LIVE play and uber packaging ;)
Tue 14/12/04 at 08:56
Regular
Played LIVE for about an hour last night and it is quite excellent, really addictive. My initial impression of it being a popular LIVE title was way off and when I asked the guys who were in the same game they said it was barely played by anyone. That would explain why it only returned 2 games to join!

It plays like a round robin, the winner stays on and the loser gets to choose the map. Everything you have unlocked offline can be used online only you don't have to have unlocked the costumes/characters yourself to play against those who have. There is a ranking system, A to F and you get positive score for winning and a negative score for losing believe it or not, take note Ubisoft because if you screw up Rainbow Six 4 I will send an aids rabid hobo to screw you in the ass!

You get more points for winning that you lose for losing, if that makes sense. Basically you can lose 4 games and win 1 to make the points back easily. The quicker you defeat your opponent the more points you get, the more moves you use the more points you get, it all makes excellent sense!

The host chooses the number of rounds per battle and the time limit per battle. Those who aren't competing can talk to everyone in the room and you just watch the other opponents fight. As mentioned before there is very little lag and this is from playing in the UK on a US host.

The whole thing works really smoothly, load times are electric, the game speed is unbelievable and it is actually a crazy amount of fun to play, especially if you aren't bothered about slapping your c**k out and bashing the bishop over some numerical figures that give them some sort of stature in society, yeah right...

Overall excellent both off and online!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.