GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"DS graphics"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 14/12/04 at 15:35
Regular
"Underbean"
this is probably old news but what graphics does it have looks to me its better than n64!
Thu 16/12/04 at 16:41
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Well the DS doesn't load at all, just like the GBA and the N64 and all the cartridge based consoles. According to IGN, the PSP seems to last about 4 1/2 hours playing games without charge, and about 6 hours when playing music. You can make your mind up whether you think that that's enough or not, personally I don't think it is.

Anti-alasing isn't "new software", it's a hardware function of the graphics engine, and they used to do it back on the N64. It doesn't eliminate the sharp edges on round things, it just blurs them out so that you don't notice them. As for UMD movies, I'm still not sold for a number of reasons, the first being that I'd never actually want to watch films 'on the go'.
Thu 16/12/04 at 16:27
"period drama"
gerrid wrote:
> Obviouslt I DID mean
> Grand Theft Auto San Andreas,

Yar, I didn't read the original post.
Thu 16/12/04 at 16:16
Regular
"and PC user"
Loading times never hurt the original PS sales. I guess we will have to -wait- and see how fast or slow PSP is at loading. I expect the DS will be quicker, but dont know by how much. But does it matter? I didnt with the first PlayStation.

3 hours is not that bad for battery life, but more would be good. Wonder if they have some sort of energy save mode which also switches of the screen when you dont touch the controls for a while?

As for anything "new", what about the ability to play UMD movies, or the new software engine which takes out the angles you would otherwise get on round edges.
Thu 16/12/04 at 16:05
Regular
"bit of a brain"
what the hell world are you living in? 3D graphics in the 80s? I've already shown you that graphics mean nothing. Obviouslt I DID mean Grand Theft Auto San Andreas, because my point was that graphics do not maketh the game. Games can have adequate graphics, and as long as they run smoothly and are enjoyable and/or engrossing to play, it doesn't matter. We all know that the PSP has better graphics, you only have to look at screenshots, but the pay off is loading times, battery life and disc scratching. Obviously there will be good games on both consoles, but the thing is, the PSP doesn't do anything NEW except give you the ability to play PS2 games on a smaller screen. At least with the DS there is a worthwhile new experience to be had.
Thu 16/12/04 at 14:50
Regular
"Nintendo RIP"
gamecollector wrote:
> screenshots mean NOTHING!!!!! you should see the DS running , the
> graphics are amazing, mario is far better than the 64 version, the
> same goes for ridge racer etc, i can assure you that the graphics are
> between dc and n64 ?
>
>
>
> + the gameplay of the games is amazing,

Come on mate who are you trying to kid, the tree's have no textures the environments toneless, there is no shine to anything and as for the tyres on the cars and carts I am suprised they can even move with those hexagon wheels.

I am a modern gamer and want better than this warmed over 80's technology.
Thu 16/12/04 at 14:39
"period drama"
Probably meant GT4
Thu 16/12/04 at 12:56
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
gerrid wrote:
> that Myst4 has better graphics than GTA4

Its not hard to beat GTA4 though, it looks absolutely awful, i can't believe they used in-game footage on the advert when it looked as bad as that.
Thu 16/12/04 at 12:48
Regular
"PRO EVO MASTER"
screenshots mean NOTHING!!!!! you should see the DS running , the graphics are amazing, mario is far better than the 64 version, the same goes for ridge racer etc, i can assure you that the graphics are between dc and n64 ?

+ the gameplay of the games is amazing,
Thu 16/12/04 at 11:30
Regular
"Underbean"
i think sony should stick to making tvs and playstations, the psp looks cool but handhelds are about cheap gaming consoles that you can hold, not expensive gaming consoles that you can hold, but the price will probably go down after a month like the x box did
Thu 16/12/04 at 08:56
Regular
"and PC user"
Well at least someone else has actualy admited to the PSP having better graphics. We are making progress. Am I right in thinking the PSP screen/graphics engine has more colors compared with DS?

And with more media capacity (the UMB 1.8Gb disc), the PSP games can be bigger - more levels, more FMV, larger levels, and so on.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.